This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekChat for Saturday, February 7th at 6:30 EST

edited February 2009 in Forum Stuff
It's time to get back on the bike. I propose another GeekChat for Saturday through the early hours of Sunday, as these things tend to go. The festivities should commence at roughly 6:30 EST. If you think any of the detail's of the GeekChat's scheduling need changing, feel free to voice your concerns here. Otherwise tell me you're going to be there, or not, it's important to keep GeekChat threads active so that people remember to show up.

Comments

• I'll be doing this one. I had to bail on the last one because something came up, but I should have the whole night this time.
  • Awesome, who else is coming?
  • probably be there too
  • Ahoy matey.
  • Sweet, Vhdblood are you one of the people who has a recording device?
  • I may come, I may not. It depends on how pissy my brother gets (sharing a PC ain't fun).
  • I'll know once it gets closer.
  • Excellent, It looks like we are going to have a large gathering.

@Gunter Yeah, that sucks, I've only had a personal computer for 9 months now, hope it works out.
  • Hopefully I will be in NY at the con, so I will be out... but if plans fall though, and they very well may, I am in.
  • Looks like that I don't have anything that night so I might come and do a little chatting. I just wonder could the start be little earlier like 6:30 EST. But even if starting time says, I will at least visit and if it runs well I might keep another sleepless night.
  • Well since it appears that I am the one that organizes this thing, I think having ot occur one hour early would not be unreasonable. I will update the thread title. Keep in mind that means that on the West Coast that will make the beginning time 3:30 pm.
  • Linkigi would recommend keeping the GeekChat proposals just in the GeekChat thread, instead of creating a new kind each time. Anyways, he should be able to attend.
  • Well since it appears that I am the one that organizes this thing, I think having ot occur one hour early would not be unreasonable. I will update the thread title. Keep in mind that means that on the West Coast that will make the beginning time 3:30 pm.
    I think that may be too early, but we'll wait for some feedback.

Sonic is normally the one who does the recording and hosting, so I figure we can let him handle that.
  • I'll try, but I can't give a firm yes at this point.
  • I shall consider my availability to be present at this next GeekChat. Depends completely on how I feel.
  • I'll try also, though my new laptop prohibits me from recording.
  • Urgh, it's still pretty late in the night for me here in Europe. I'll miss out on this one like all the others.
  • Urgh, it's still pretty late in the night for me here in Europe. I'll miss out on this one like all the others.
    All you have to do is propose a Geekchat at an earlier or later time, and then get some people together. If I'm not mistaken there is healthy contingent of forum-goers who call the European continent home. I'm sure they'd love to have a GeekChat at a different time from the one in this thread, and it really doesn't really take that much effort to put one of these together. You can probably even use the same thread, although it could become confusing.
  • It looks like I can do it - I plan it like this - geekchat, then I slip away around 8:30 am here, so that I can make it to my radio show by 10 AM
  • It's getting earlier and earlier all the time. I'll probably listen in for a while.

Two things to make it more enjoyable:
    1. Whoever is recording/hosting, remember the most important thing is the actual conversation. If someone turns up or drops out or someone messages you, or some other minor event takes place, don't blurt out the news as though we'll all drop dead if we aren't kept up to date on your exact recording process.
    2. Someone have a list of topics or stories or themes as chat subjects. Maybe they won't be needed, but having standbys would be handy.
  • edited February 2009
    Topic for discussion: Stereotyping in video games
    While most games, probably with the exception of some RPGs, tend not to have particularly deep characters, do you find the way in which games portray gender, racial and other stereotypes to be annoying or offensive? Can you give an example of a character you found particularly non-stereotypical? Can you think of a game that tried to break or make commentary of stereotyping issues?

Topic for discussion: Imitation medicine.
    (After reading this) Unlike fake medicine, which can be prevented by educating people, could imitation medicine pose an even greater problem in years to come?
    I'd just like to add, it is already a serious problem in places such as Africa. People are dying, a lot.

Also, random find: Can someone tell me if they think these people are legit? Focus on Complimentary and Alternative Medicine. They say they use an evidence based approach but I'm not sure. They have some old articles about CAM in Japan I'm interested in.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The GeekChat swift approaches. Just a reminder. see you all in 40 minutes, I guess.
  • Mail came, no package, no Scott Pilgrim 5, no headset, so no GeekChat for me =(
  • I'm out and about using my phone tethered to my laptop for internet. I don't have sufficient bandwidth for skype. Sorry.
  • I'm out and about using my phone tethered to my laptop for internet. I don't have sufficient bandwidth for skype. Sorry.
    Awwwww, damn. :\ We're having some amazing laughs. Hope you can make next time.
  • Sorry dudes, I started sewing a plushie (3rd one ever, first non-amorphous one) and wouldn't you know it, nine hours went by and I barely noticed it... sorry.

I don't have a digicam here, so I scanned it for now as proof... you'll see pics later tomorrow.