This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pixel Art

2»

Comments

• imageI just think the dark tone in this piece is very malevolent and forboding and it attracts me greatly.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    imageI cannot tell you how much this reminds me of Fable/Fable: The Lost Chapters!

imageThis is so lush and breathtaking that it must have taken at least a year to complete a work of this much detail and beauty.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    imageWhat can I say? This is just absolutely epic right down to every pebble.

imageBut lo! Inside the castle is the king! Dead by a blade! Whether by one of his own knights, a rogue knight, or his own hand slayed him...no one will ever know. His treasure awaits all who seek it.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Can the entirety of a webcomic count? Because there is some fairly impressive pixel art in Kid Radd.
  • When I said Pixel Art, I was not talking about sprites. I was talking about original compositions that don't require cheating (sprites) to make. Not that it bothers me, but I'd rather see more compositions than sprite rips.
  • When I said Pixel Art, I wasnottalking about sprites. I was talking about original compositions that don't require cheating (sprites) to make. Not that it bothers me, but I'd rather see more compositions than sprite rips.
    Well sure, the person who Photoshops some existing sprites isn't really creating pixel art. However, those sprites were originally created by someone, and thus they are pixel art themselves.
  • When I said Pixel Art, I wasnottalking about sprites. I was talking about original compositions that don't require cheating (sprites) to make. Not that it bothers me, but I'd rather see more compositions than sprite rips.
    Well sure, the person who Photoshops some existing sprites isn't really creating pixel art. However, those sprites were originally created by someone, and thus they are pixel art themselves.
    Technically that is true, but I'm sure everyone understands what I'm talking about.
  • Say hello to my new cross-stitch project:

A few specs:
    18 Count Aida (18 stitches per inch)
    7.5"H x 9"W (135 x 160 stitches)
    27 different colors
    21,600 stitches total

Time to get started!
  • Say hello to my new cross-stitch project:

A few specs:
    18 Count Aida (18 stitches per inch)
    7.5"H x 9"W (135 x 160 stitches)
    27 different colors
    21,600 stitches total

Time to get started!
    The sheer amount of effort and patience that it seems the hobby requires intrigues me, I shall then look into it and learn me some cross stitching. Got any good site with the basics?
  • This might not count as pixel art but it is pixel related...someone make a Blooper Hat!!!
  • The sheer amount of effort and patience that it seems the hobby requires intrigues me, I shall then look into it and learn me some cross stitching. Got any good site with the basics?
    Yes, there is a lot of effort and patience with this hobby, but in the end the reward is worth it.

I really don't have any good sites, other than what Google can provide. Cross Stitching.com gives some pretty good information. I really haven't used any special stitches so far. Just your basis criss-cross stitch. I also haven't blended flosses (thread) to add effects to my work.

If you want to get into sprite stitching, Sprite Stitch is your best bet. I really haven't participated in forums, but after I'm done with this project, I will definitely be posting there. They also have a lot of basic patterns to get you started.

Some personal pointers, keep the back side of your piece as clean as you can. No hanging floss. There are many different sized tapestry needles. I like using #28 because it's small, and I can get the most out of the floss to have less waste. Start with 14 count aida projects. There are some basic cross-stitch kits you can get at craft stores.

When you want to start creating your own cross-stitch designs and feel like dropping money, PC Stitch is probably the best way to go. They have a free trial, but I don't think you can print from it. It's a lot like Photoshop.

If you have any other questions, just let me know! ^_^ Good luck, and I hope you enjoy getting into cross-stitching.
  • This might not count as pixel art but it is pixel related...someone make a Blooper Hat!!!
    My Sister made a blooper hat. Would you like to see a picture of me wearing said hat?
  • I would like to see the picture. :D
  • I would like to see the picture. :D
    Seconded!

A very large pic, I know. But it just blows me away that people can just make this stuff.
  • ...Ziggurat? ZIGGURAT!
  • edited June 2010
    That looks an awful lot like a certain place in Morrowind that I don't know the name of. Except there's a mote around that one.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2010
    Is anyone making high-resolution isometric pixel games that look like this? That could be pretty awesome.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Is anyone making high-resolution isometric pixel games that look like this? That could be pretty awesome.
    The attention to detail is amazing.
  • I love the gradient shading on the pillar things.
  • edited June 2010
    The attention to detail is amazing.
    It is.

I wonder if there's any modern pixel software with special features that do common pixel stuff (like for instance, auto-dithering patterns, or a sort of isometric grid or something) that people are using for these, or if it's just Photoshop, or if they're maybe using something old school.
    (EDIT: Yes, pixel-specific programs exist, and they have pixel-specific features that look pretty cool. A lot of people still use Photoshop, though. I looked at some pixeling tutorials, and damn that stuff gets pretty complicated.)

Also, I wonder if there would be any way to have a 3D program that renders in isometric pixel art. That would be crazy.
  • As far as pixel-specific stuff goes, I've heard a lot of good things about Pro Motion. I don't know about any 3D apps that'll render isometric stuff - that'd be seriously cool.
  • edited June 2010
    As far as pixel-specific stuff goes, I've heard a lot of good things aboutPro Motion. I don't know about any 3D apps that'll render isometric stuff - that'd be seriously cool.
    I found Pro Motion earlier when I was looking up this stuff -- it looks pretty amazing. Of course, I'm not going to buy it -- I can't afford the time to start diving into another art discipline like this, as tempting as it is at the moment.

As for the 3D apps, I'm pretty sure nothing like that exists. I don't even know if it'd be possible, or at least possible with good results.
  • While we're on the subject...Eboy has an awesome iphone game!
  • edited August 2015
    Made a couple of things in Piskel to test out the program. I'm having a lot of fun with it!

Post edited by Daikun on