This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Prisoners raped for 'legal' executions

edited July 2009 in News
MEMBERS of Iran's feared Basij militia forcibly marry female virgin prisoners the night before scheduled executions, raping their new "wives" and making it religiously acceptable to execute them, a self-professed member of the paramilitary group says.

The anonymous militiaman, exposing a part of the Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei's religious regime in Iran, told The Jerusalem Post that at age 18 he was "given the honor to temporarily marry young girls before they were sentenced to death".

In the Islamic Republic of Iran it is illegal to execute a woman if she is a virgin, the former guard said.

So the Government arranges "wedding" ceremonies to be conducted the night before executions, and prisoners are forced to have sexual intercourse with a guard, Fox News reported.

Raped by her new "husband," a female prisoner is now fit to be put to death.
The full article.
Why religion and government should NEVER go hand in hand.

Now excuse me while I go rage in a corner.

Comments

• That's disgusting.
  • Hey, their belief in god isn't hurting anybody else. You have to respect it. That's what tolerance is. Besides, those women will go to heaven, right? Right?
  • Hey, their belief in god isn't hurting anybody else. Youhaveto respect it. That's what tolerance is. Besides, those women will go to heaven, right? Right?
    You forgot to put that in green. Unless you didn't. In which case die in a fire.
  • It is sort of clever if you can get passed the whole human rights thing. I'm guessing that libido, not legal consistency, was the prime motivator in these instances. Strangely enough, I think this distinction would make it a bit more palatable for most people on a gut level, myself included.
  • You forgot to put that in green. Unless you didn't. In which case die in a fire.
    Come on, that post screams sarcasm. Speaking of which, is green sarcasm a rule now, or a concensus that I missed? Genuine question -- not being an ass.
  • You forgot to put that in green. Unless you didn't. In which case die in a fire.
    Have you ever heard Jason even mention religion before?
    Come on, that post screams sarcasm. Speaking of which, is green sarcasm a rule now, or a concensus that I missed? Genuine question -- not being an ass.
    It's more of an... informational meme than a consensus. It's not a rule, it's just a common tool used on this forum to signal sarcasm. What're you, stupid?
  • The green font too often makes sarcasm a lot less funny.
  • edited July 2009
    The green font too often makes sarcasm a lot less funny.
    Yeah, I agree. It's the equivalent of saying "by the way, I was being sarcastic". On the other hand, many an internet flame war would probably have been avoided had sarcasm not gone undetected. I don't know. Maybe sarcasm is best avoided in text.
    It's not a rule, it's just a common tool used on this forum to signal sarcasm.
    I asked because I don't really remember seeing it more than a week ago or so, and I've seen a few lately.
    What're you, stupid?
    It's a learning disability. *sniff*
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • That's disgusting.
    I was thinking "reprehensible" or "repugnant." Also, "wrong" fits very nicely.
  • Those people are stupid/horrible/evil. The sad part is, that is one group twisting the religious beliefs of a larger group to do something horrible. I doubt they represent the interests of all Muslims, but now this idea is cemented in our view of Islam.
    And I agree with what the first post said, this is why religion and government should never touch. They both corrupt one another.
  • I'm a little skeptical. There's a long history of nations claiming other nations they don't like are engaged in some terribly inhuman act. In WWI, the allies claimed the Germans did all sorts of nefarious things, including rape. In WWII, the Japanese were told that American soldiers had a nasty rape habit. There are hundreds of examples of this, and not just from wartime. For instance, white settlers were told all sorts of claims about Indian atrocities claims that were apocryphal at best.

Additionally, the article is attributed to "staff writers", the Iranian claimant is not identified, and the article cites to Fox News.
  • That's disgusting.
    I was thinking "reprehensible" or "repugnant." Also, "wrong" fits very nicely.
    "All of the above" works, along with "gut-wrenching atrocity beyond words".
    I'm a little skeptical. There's a long history of nations claiming other nations they don't like are engaged in some terribly inhuman act. In WWI, the allies claimed the Germans did all sorts of nefarious things, including rape. In WWII, the Japanese were told that American soldiers had a nasty rape habit. There are hundreds of examples of this, and not just from wartime. For instance, white settlers were told all sorts of claims about Indian atrocities claims that were apocryphal at best.

Additionally, the article is attributed to "staff writers", the Iranian claimant is not identified, and the article cites to Fox News.
    But supposing there's even a shred of truth to it, is it a better idea to just shrug it off as propaganda and tell everyone they're better off with no emotional reaction? I've never really seen that as the best course of action.
  • I think it's funny those folks have to force people into marriage and rape them to get laid. Seriously, aren't there prostitutes around?
  • edited July 2009
    I'm a little skeptical. There's a long history of nations claiming other nations they don't like are engaged in some terribly inhuman act. In WWI, the allies claimed the Germans did all sorts of nefarious things, including rape. In WWII, the Japanese were told that American soldiers had a nasty rape habit. There are hundreds of examples of this, and not just from wartime. For instance, white settlers were told all sorts of claims about Indian atrocities claims that were apocryphal at best.

No, I've heard about it from Iranian authors, and a number of other sources. Did you guys read Persepolis? They talked about this in that movie/comic, when this one teenage girl that the author knew of was executed. It's really horrible!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I think it's funny those folks have to force people into marriage and rape them to get laid. Seriously, aren't there prostitutes around?
    That's not what this is about, not even remotely. Also, rape isn't about getting laid.
  • Also, rape isn't about getting laid.
    It's a sick form of control. I read a study one time that said that many times men who rape don't even experience orgasm during the act. It's all about power over another human being, about degrading them.
  • Should I have put that post in green?