This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Moe, Antrhopomorphism, Musume, and all that good stuff

GeoGeo
edited August 2009 in Art!
Seeing the headphone-tan discussion in some thread (forget which at the moment) made me realize there is no centralized thread for moe anthropomorphism at all which kinda surprises me. Anyway, post any picture of tans you find at all that catch your interest or you find absolutely cute. I highly reccomend some mecha musume as they are my personal favorite kinds of moe girls.

Comments

• I personally don't understand why the word "Moe" has kind of overshadowed the word "Cute." And I'm also noticing when something is defined as being moe, there tends to be something much more psychologically deep into that being cute. The person who calls something "moe" also defines something about themselves because what is considered to be "moe" really, really varies.
  • I highly reccomend some mecha musume as they are my personal favorite kinds of moe girls.
    You need to talk to Katsu. Or, well, maybe not, but that dude's love of mecha musume can only be described as "whoa." If you need to know anything about girls who are also jet fighters that turn into half-girl/half-robot death machines, K-dawg is your man.
  • K-dawg
    Yo K-Dawg, we heard you like mecha musume so we made a mecha musume pilot another, bigger mecha musume so you can moe while you moe.
  • K-dawg
    Yo K-Dawg, we heard you like mecha musume so we made a mecha musume pilot another, bigger mecha musume so you can moe while you moe.
    I'm sure that exists somewhere.
  • I personally don't understand why the word "Moe" has kind of overshadowed the word "Cute." And I'm also noticing when something is defined as being moe, there tends to be something much more psychologically deep into that being cute. The person who calls something "moe" also defines something about themselves because what is considered to be "moe" really, really varies.
    I explained this to my housemate, and the only change was that she stopped saying she liked "Moe" anime, pronouncing "Moe" in screechy irritating catgirl style to saying that she only likes "KAWAIIIII!" anime, pronounced in an even more annoying screech.
  • You need to talk to Katsu. Or, well, maybe not, but that dude's love of mecha musume can only be described as "whoa." If you need to know anything about girls who are also jet fighters that turn into half-girl/half-robot death machines, K-dawg is your man.
    That is why I mentioned it, it was a reference to his love of mecha musume.
  • I though "moe" was a word to describe a feeling you get when you see something you like, not the appearance of something.
  • I though "moe" was a word to describe a feeling you get when you see something you like, not the appearance of something.
    You used one Internets!

What...? Moe is evolving!!
    You used one Internets!

What...? Moe is evolving!!
    I never bothered to search for the meaning of the word "moe". I just came across it in a show called "Japanorama" a while ago.
  • Emily and I did a panel on Anthropomorphisms and Tans at Connecticon. We might run it again some time.
    As a note, I will now devote an entire slide to Star Wars tans, because I have found an X-Wing-tan and a TIE Fighter-tan to go along with the DeathStar-tan.
    And I need to expand the H.P. Lovecraft slide.
    edited August 2009
    If we're talking moe, we must also speak GAR. ADD GAR TO THE LIST!

I posted this before, but screw you, I'm posting it again! I'm so totally GAR for Stig.
    Post edited by ... on
  • What exactly is GAR?
  • I am quite fond of Moemon, and am currently trying to find all of the Pokemon in this particular form (I have most of them).
    As a note, I will now devote an entire slide to Star Wars tans, because I have found an X-Wing-tan and a TIE Fighter-tan to go along with the DeathStar-tan.
    And I need to expand the H.P. Lovecraft slide.
    Can you please post these?
  • Think of GAR as the testosterone-pumped polar opposite of moe. GAR turns losers into manly men, bleeds buckets of awesome and cries manly tears.

It's also a misspelling of "GAY".
    edited August 2009
    Think of GAR as the testosterone-pumped polar opposite of moe.
    Yes.
    GAR turns losers into manly men[.]
    No, the opposite. It turns (lesser) men into women.
    [B]leeds buckets of awesome and cries manly tears.
    Yes.
    It's also a misspelling of "GAY".
    Most importantly, yes.
    What exactly is GAR?
    A term used towards male characters and individuals who are so overwhelmingly manly that your own masculinity is absolutely *buried*, leaving you naught but a whimpering, swooning girl-child before them.

Originated in 4chan's /a/ board. A poster was describing his feelings towards the Fate/Stay Night character Archer, and mistyped "gay" as "gar".
    It is also used to describe someone who's just extremely manly and awesome, like GARSimon at the start of TTGL. Reason why it stuck:
    Gay for ARcher.
    "I am the bone of my sword.
    Steel is my body and fire is my blood.
    I have created over a thousand blades.
    Unknown to death,
    nor known to life.
    Have withstood pain to create many weapons.
    Yet those hands will never hold anything.
    So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works."
    Post edited by ... on
  • If you've watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan...all of those guys are GAR. (Cept Rossiu)

GAR is pure manliness and it's a law that all men should follow. In my opinion, not enough Japanese men follow those rules.
  • edited August 2009
    Since we are talking about anthropomorphism, I'll bring up OS-tans, which are my favorite variety.
    Here is my favorite of them, the anthropomorphic moe representation of Windows 2000, or "2k-tan" for short.

2k-tan
    Also, OStan-collections.net is a great site to peruse the vast multitudes of os-tans, including os's from Amiga to Xandros. Well, maybe not Xandros, but you get the idea. Point is, there's a whole lot of OS-tans.

EDIT: Aaand my new official favorite 2k-tan picture.

Anybody but me thinking about the movie "Weird Science"?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2009
    Also,OStan-collections.netis a great site to peruse the vast multitudes of os-tans...
    I want a PS3-tan that's just a really big girl eating tons of chocolate cake.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Also,OStan-collections.netis a great site to peruse the vast multitudes of os-tans...
    I want a PS3-tan that's just a really big girl eating tons of chocolate cake.
    I didn't know you were into that sort of thing...
  • Hey, representing the PS3 as a round, bloated, over-consuming anime girl would be hilarious. That's all there is to it.
  • So the new PS3 would be the ps3 after weight watchers?
  • Here is my favorite of them, the anthropomorphic moe representation of Windows 2000, or "2k-tan" for short.
    File-type tans are cuter. Also, shared memory.
  • edited August 2009
    GAR turns losers into manly men[.]
    No, the opposite. It turns (lesser) men into women.
    I was talking more of an in-universe effect. Think Gurren Lagann.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • STAR WARS
    tans StarWars
    tans StarWars
    tans StarWars
    I like how the clothing differences between the X-Wing and the TIE Fighter are representative of their different design philosophies. The TIE is a bare essentials light fighter with very good agility, meant for overwhelming numbers. The X-Wing was designed to be a medium to heavy fighter, with more robust shielding and a built-in hyperdrive.
    LOVECRAFT
    Colour-tan
    tans Lovecraft
    tans Lovecraft
    I find it amusing to have eldritch horrors from beyond human comprehension as cute girls. I have a Great Race of Yith somewhere, but I can't seem to find it right now.
  • I was talking more of an in-universe effect. Think Gurren Lagann.
    Still no. Also, losers in Gurren Lagann? You smokin'?
  • Wow, I really like that X-wing. We should definitely include those next time we do that panel. I never noticed the sweatdrops coming off of Alderaan.
    That really was a fun panel, though. I would definitely not be adverse to doing it a second time.
  • I was talking more of an in-universe effect. Think Gurren Lagann.
    Still no. Also, losers in Gurren Lagann? You smokin'?
    Simon's transition from spineless kid to ultimate badass? Afraid to fight, inspired by a character who is the epitome of GAR? "Believe in me who believes in you"? One of the largest focal points of the entire show?
  • Simon's transition from spineless kid to ultimate badass? Afraid to fight, inspired by a character who is the epitome of GAR? "Believe in me who believes in you"? One of the largest focal points of the entire show?
    You saying that's a loser? A 12 year old kid that pisses his pants at the sight of genetic monstrosities that pilot HUGE ROBOTS?! That's not a loser, just a scared kid who eventually realizes he must fight to end the fear.
  • edited August 2009
    Simon was 14.

I dunno, I bet Kamina wasn't -that- scared at that age... ;)

Pre-awesome Simon reminded me initially of Ikari Shinji, which immediately brings words like wuss/wimp/loser/waaah to mind. But that's me.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • Simon was 14.
    My bad, I thought he was younger than Yoko.
    I dunno, I bet Kamina wasn't -that- scared at that age... ;)
    He's insanely courageous and GAR, so no, he probably wouldn't have been as scared as your average 14 year old kid, Simon however is pretty average at the start.
    Pre-awesome Simon reminded me initially of Ikari Shinji, which immediately brings words like wuss/wimp/loser/waaah to mind. But that's me.
    Ah, but Shinji is all "WAAAAAAAAAAAAH, nobody loves me, I'm worthless, nobody needs me, waaaaaaaaaah."-emotastic. Simon is a 14 year old kid who has lived his live in fear for earthquakes, lost his parents that way, and feels uncomfortable being given the responsibility he is given since he doesn't think he is less fit for the task than Kamina. Also, Kamina overshadowed his abilities, making it hard for Simon to trust his own skill.