This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

In the Event of Your Death . . .

edited November 2009 in Suggestions
I think about Death a lot, but especially this morning since I can't feel my legs. It occurs to me that, if any of us die, the other forum members might not even know, we might have some things that we wish to leave to other forum members, and we might have deaths that cry to be avenged. The purpose of this thread is to leave instructions you wish to be carried out in the event of your death.

When I was young, my father's throne was usurped as a result of a particularly nasty bit of palace intrigue. I was taken to the deep woods to be killed, but the assassin who took me didn't have the heart for the task, so he left me there to die from exposure. Fortunately, I was found by the woodland squirrels. After I defeated their champion in single combat, they made me their king. I remain King of the Squirrels to this very day, even though I was eventually taken in by the wolves and, from there, made my way back to the world of men.

In the event of my death, I want this title to descend to Pete. Don't worry, it's mostly ceremonial these days. However, you will be expected to be the Keeper of the Squirrel Scroll, which contains the Thirty-Six Plans of The Path of The Squirrel (most of which concern different styles of running away), and The Cask of Ancient Winters, WHICH MUST NOT BE OPENED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, LEST DIRE CONSEQUENCES ENSUE.

So, if squirrels ever come to you bearing a scroll and a little box, you'll know that I'm dead. I hope you take your duties seriously.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I just want to make sure people know my wishes in case I die an untimely death. For instance, I want you to have my Xavier Cugat albums.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • When I was young
    Lies.
  • When I was... a young boy... my father, took me in too the city, to see a marching band. And he said son when, you grow up, will you be, the savior of the broken, the beaten and the damned...
  • I will leave my TARDIS to Scott and my sonic screwdriver to Rym, if I don't want to regenerate :P
  • I will leave my TARDIS to Scott and my sonic screwdriver to Rym, if I don't want to regenerate :P
    No no. They don't deserve any of that stuff because they know nothing about Doctor Who (damn heathens) and wouldn't know what to do with it. Anybody but them would be fine.
  • They don't deserve any of that stuff because they know nothing about Doctor Who (damn heathens) and wouldn't know what to do with it.
    Hey now. I've seen a decent bit of the newer show, nevermind the original. Don't conflate me with Scott on this. ^_~
  • Rym would make a great Time Lord, Emi would make a cute companion, and Scott would make a great robotic dog. ^_~
  • Rym would make a great Time Lord, Emi would make a cute companion, and Scott would make a great robotic dog. ^_~
    K-9 is too good for Scott, maybe he can be a Dalek.
  • To be honest, what really puts me off from watching Dr. Who is the almost religious fervor that it's fans tend to posses about the show. I've seen it in passing and it's campy underpinnings don't help to increase my chances of watching it either.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    To be honest, what really puts me off from watching Doctor Who is the almost religious fervor that it's fans tend to posses about the show. I've seen it in passing and it's campy underpinnings don't help to increase my chances of watching it either.
    Just watch it for the show. Ignore the fans, just like you do (or should) with anime.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • To be honest, what really puts me off from watchingDoctorWho is the almost religious fervor that it's fans tend to posses about the show. I've seen it in passing and it's campy underpinnings don't help to increase my chances of watching it either.
    Just watch it for the show. Ignore the fans, just like you do (or should) with anime.
    LOL. Way to provide a great example of the kind of fanboyishness that would put someone off a show.
  • Ignore the fans, just like you do (or should) with anime.
    This is some sage advice right here.
    I've seen it in passing and it's campy underpinnings don't help to increase my chances of watching it either.
    It's definitely a campy show, there's no denying that. I'm a sucker for campy sci-fi myself, though, and many of the episodes that I've seen in the newer series are really quite good. Some of them are bad, but some of them are just outstanding.

I watched some of the older series WAY back when I was a wee lad. My dad showed me some of them, and our PBS station ran it sometimes. I barely remember anything about it, other than it being an old, campy science fiction show.
  • To be honest, what really puts me off from watchingDoctorWho is the almost religious fervor that it's fans tend to posses about the show. I've seen it in passing and it's campy underpinnings don't help to increase my chances of watching it either.
    LOL. Way to provide a great example of the kind of fanboyishness that would put someone off a show.
    Is that sarcasm or a compliment Mrs. MacRoss?
  • edited November 2009
    Rym would make a great Time Lord, Emi would make a cute companion, and Scott would make a great robotic dog. ^_~
    K-9 is too good for Scott, maybe he can be a Dalek.
    He definately has the voice for one :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited November 2009
    Neither, I just think it is funny.
    Yupa, don't take this the wrong way, but you are a bit fanboy crazy about Doctor Who. First, you start bagging on people that aren't particular fans the old Doctor Who (which includes me) and pull out the "no true Scotsman" silliness. Second, you rip on people that don't know anything about the series by calling them unworthy. Lastly, in a post responding to someone that is turned off by Doctor Who fanboys (of which you are one) that they should not be turned off by fanboyery while at the same time you pointlessly correct "Dr." and change it to "Doctor".
    This isn't a personal attack at all. Being a bit fanboy/girl-ish is something that many in this forum have, at one time or another, fallen pray to.
    I was just laughing at the absurdity of it.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    Neither, I just think it is funny.
    Yupa, don't take this the wrong way, but you are a bit fanboy crazy about Doctor Who. First, you start bagging on people that aren't particular fans the old Doctor Who (which includes me) and pull out the "no true Scotsman" silliness. Second, you rip on people that don't know anything about the series by calling them unworthy. Lastly, in a post responding to someone that is turned off by Doctor Who fanboys (of which you are one) while at the same time you pointlessly correct "Dr." and change it to "Doctor".
    This isn't a personal attack at all. Being a bit fanboy/girl-ish is something that many in this forum have, at one time or another, fallen pray to.
    I was just laughing at the absurdity of it.
    Yeah it is quite absurd, quite "fantastic" wouldn't you say so? :)
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Oh, purposeful. I (NOW) see what you did there. Now it is cute!
    Yes, I could see Rym in a frilled shirt, velvet smoking jacket and dispatching foes with Venusian Akido...
    Yes, I could see Rym in a frilled shirt, velvet smoking jacket and dispatching foes with Venusian Akido...
    Yeah! Plus he would have to have a slight Victorian-esque accent and a canary-yellow roadster or else it doesn't work.
  • If I died now that would suck ass for whoever inherited my shit since I just turned a whole bunch of useful money into a bunch of furniture and such. You'll get a pretty nice one-day-old TV, though.
  • If I died now that would suck ass for whoever inherited my shit since I just turned a whole bunch of useful money into a bunch of furniture and such. You'll get a pretty nice one-day-old TV, though.
    Do you not have any life insurance policies? I forget how much mine is.
  • edited November 2009
    No life insurance that I know of. Maybe my parents bought some. I did buy renter's insurance today, though.
    Post edited by Apreche on
    Let's all take out a life insurance policy on Scott. I think it's a safe bet that he will be the first of us to die.
  • Let's all take out a life insurance policy on Scott. I think it's a safe bet that he will be the first of us to die.
    Better idea, let's all SELL insurance. Gambling is so much better if you are the house.
  • Who do you think will be the first forum member to die and why?
  • My death will come first in the great Atheist overtaking of the world.
  • No life insurance that I know of. Maybe my parents bought some. I did buy renter's insurance today, though.
    Yes, renter's insurance is awesome. Jeremy and I have a high-end policy thru State Farm at a good rate. It's funny when we first were being interviewed by the insurance agent, his questions were so odd. He would ask us if we had jewelry, expensive clothes like fur coats or leather, and we pretty much said "No" to all those questions, but when it came to electronics and entertainment, the amount of stuff we told him we had, he seemed so shocked. It was pretty hilarious.

More than likely whoever you have your renter's insurance with, they'll likely call you up one day to sell you life insurance.

Being a government employee we're automatically enrolled into FEGLI (Federal Employees Government Life Insurance). They take out an insignificant amount out of our paychecks. I think mine is currently $100,000 at the basic option. If I elected to pay more, I would be insured for more.
    Nah, you're number 1,473,302,495. The first is going to be Falwell; we're going to perform a blood sacrifice to have him resurrected, and then beat him to death with spoons.
    Nah, you're number 1,473,302,495. The first is going to be Falwell; we're going to perform a blood sacrifice to have him resurrected, and then beat him to death with spoons.
    I shall begin counting, then...