This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What would you name your child?

Comments

• Heathcliff
    Elianne
    Shanna
    Jade
    Alida
    Joan II
  • You thought "Apple" or "Moon unit" was bad? How about Marijuana pepsi?
    I'd just like to note that when I read this, I had a bunch of Forum tabs open, and thought this was the Fail/Thing of your day thread, and that they were actually making Marijuana Pepsi. Lol.
  • Boys: Walter Elias, Miles, Edward, Eliwood

Girls: Alice, Ashelyn, Lyndis

I know I had more names bouncing around in the back of my head, but I'm so sleep deprived right now that I can't remember them.
  • Boys: Walter Elias, Miles, Edward, Eliwood

Girls: Alice, Ashelyn, Lyndis

I know I had more names bouncing around in the back of my head, but I'm so sleep deprived right now that I can't remember them.
    Fire Emblem much?
  • Oh, it get's worse. Miles as in Miles Edgeworth from Phoenix Wright and Ashelyn is from Final Fantasy XII.
  • My girlfriend has a cousin named Gerfil. Why? Because he is of German and Filipino heritage of course.
  • My girlfriend has a cousin named Gerfil. Why? Because he is of German and Filipino heritage of course.
    That poor guy.
  • Miles as in Miles Edgeworth
    If I named someone Miles, it would be after the guy in Teen Wolf.
  • Uhh Miles O'Brian?
  • How about Miles Prower?
  • Uhh Miles O'Brian?
    Yes.
    How about Miles Prower?
    Double Yes. Particularly if you make sure he likes racing. "miles per hour"
  • Hmm...
    Male: Axel (shut up!), Leon (No, not because of KH), Possibly Jerry (after my grandfather)
    Female: Mary, Possibly Roselyn (after my deceased grandmother)

The female names are far more speculative. I've mostly thought of male names for whatever reason...
  • Uhh Miles O'Brian?
    Psssh, cool people know that Colm Meaney's character was spelled Miles O'Brien. Geez, Andrew. Geez.
  • I already promised to name my firstborn daughter Stephanie after my grandmother, a woman who retired two days before I was born and was pretty much my second mother. I've already decided that, in exchange, whoever I eventually end up impregnating can name the firstborn son. Otherwise, my family is pretty big on the whole namesake thing (and there have been a lot of selfless people in my family since we came to this country 50 years ago), so no matter what it will probably be a name from within the family.
  • Hmm...
    Male: Axel (shut up!), Leon (No, not because of KH), Possibly Jerry (after my grandfather)
    Female: Mary, Possibly Roselyn (after my deceased grandmother)

The female names are far more speculative. I've mostly thought of male names for whatever reason...
    I almost was named Axel after my great grandfather.
  • I was almost named Bartholomew, but my father was dissuaded because my mother was afraid I'd be nicknamed "Farty Barty"
  • Never name a child after yourself. He will only grow up to resent you for all the confusion you've caused me him in life.
  • I almost was named Axel after my great grandfather.
    0_0
    That's...Awesome...
  • I was almost named Shrub, after god knows what.
  • I was almost named Shrub, after god knows what.
    After Roger?
  • edited May 2010
    What to people think of "Levity" for a girl's name?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'm a fan of traditional Russian names myself.

Boy: Serge, Yuri, Maxim, Alexsi or Dimitri. Maybe something cool like Justinian, Belasarus or Diacletian because Romans had badass names too. I like a lot of traditional German names as well like Konrad and Markus.

Girl: Alexia, Iarena, Anya, Ilya, Karina or Czarina.

Nothing is really certain as kids are not in the plan, at least not for now.

as for Pete/Nuri: I wholeheartedly support you in your hammer wielding child raising program. If you ever need to teach him how to make viking swords you know who to talk to.
  • I am actually in the process of designing a plush Mjolnir baby rattle. It's kind of awesome inside my head. Just have to actually make it.
  • Wow, it's probably good that not many of you have children.
  • I would name one of them Scrooge McDuck :P
  • edited May 2010
    While I'm not so hot on the idea of procreating (and neither is my girlfriend) I long ago decided that if I ever ended up fathering a son that I'd keep the family naming tradition alive and name him "Frank", with a different middle name, so we can once again avoid the whole "Junior" thing. I also thought it would be cool to name a son Connor, but my brother swiped that one for his kid. One other name I kicked around was Duncan [1], but I nixed that one after a quick round of thought. I long ago vowed that I would not name any of my children something that could result in playground cruelty and given that my last name often gets mispronounced as "Hines" (with a long I sound) there is no way I would saddlebag a son with a name that sounded like a cake mix.

[1] Yes, I was and still am a huge Highlander fan
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • I've always been partial to traditional biblical names myself, even though I'm not really religious at all.

David
    Aaron
    Daniel
    Joshua
    Nathanial
    Zachary
    Gabriel

Sara
    Rachel
    Rebecca
    Ruth
    Deborah
  • I'm all for the playground cruelty for any potential children. Being made fun of teaches how to deal with social pressures, and failing that teaches you kid how to fight fairly well. Either result is acceptable.