This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Bowl Advertisements

edited February 2010 in Everything Else
This is an old complaint, and I don't want to sound viciously indignant, but I am angry at myself and angry at America for allowing advertisements become an actual form of entertainment in and of themselves. We all have those friends who say, "I don't care so much about the game, but I'll probably watch the Super Bowl for the commercials." This is akin to saying, "I don't really want to go anywhere, but I think I'll go down to the gas station and pump gas into the ditch since I have an extra $50 laying around."

I know that advertising is all part and parcel of the capitalist system, and I don't resent ads at all. I want to be informed of new products and services. But I don't want to be sold on something. I don't want to be persuaded through comedy or sex or sleekness or cleverness. If I want what you're selling, it's not due to product loyalty or product placement or indoctrination. What gets me heated is that we've validated companies' attempts to indoctrinate us through bread and circuses. Go to Hulu right now, and you'll see that you can actually sit and watch ads for the sake of it.

Rage! RAAAAAAAAAGE! RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Comments

• If I want what you're selling, it's not due to product loyalty or product placement or indoctrination.
    I agree with this.

However, I view advertising as an art. I feel that I am capable of making informed decisions without advertising (with the exception of movie trailers), however I still feel like you can appreciate good advertisements in the same way one would appreciate any other work of art, be it visual, musical, comedic, or emotional. I'm not saying we should all turn off AdBlock, never pirate TV shows, and throw our DVRs out the window, just that there's no reason to rage against people watching Super Bowl advertisements for their entertainment value alone.
  • If I want what you're selling, it's not due to product loyalty or product placement or indoctrination.
    If this is true, and advertisements have no effect on you, then why not simply enjoy the entertainment value of a good advertisement?
  • Since this is (despite the opening post) going to turn into a "best SB ads" thread, here are a couple of my favorites of years past.

• [finger commercial]
    What the fuck is that woman saying?
  • [finger commercial]
    Which woman?
  • edited February 2010
    Advertising is an art form. Even though nowadays its mostly a science, it's artistic value can't be denied; Super Bowl ads especially. I find them pretty awesome, and I don't use half the products they advertise.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • [finger commercial]
    Fun fact, there are only three things from that ad that I haven't done.
  • [finger commercial]
    Fun fact, there are only three things from that ad that I haven't done.
    Save Holland, identify a murderer, and prove your sobriety?
    edited February 2010
    Which woman?
    The woman who's supposedly Dutch, i.e. the only woman in the commercial, who speaks. She don't speak Dutch!
    Post edited by ... on
  • She says "Thank you mister" in dodgy English, yes.
    I feel insulted. Our average English does not sound that horrible.
    I feel insulted. Our average English does not sound that horrible.
    The time I have spent in The Hauge has taught me two things about Holland,
    1. You can order food in fast food joints in English
    2. The Dutch really like Eric Clapton
  • edited February 2010
    I would never watch the Superbowl just for the ads. No ad is that good. I would only watch the Superbowl if I wanted to watch the actual football game.

However, if there must be advertising to support a telecast that I want to see, I would rather have entertaining ads than boring ones.

I wonder how much money the Superbowl would make if they went to pay-per-view? It must be less than over-the-air, since pay-per-view isn't exactly new.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • "I don't care so much about the game, but I'll probably watch the Super Bowl for the commercials."
    I took the bold step this year and last of not watching at all.
  • I wonder how much money the Superbowl would make if they went to pay-per-view? It must be less than over-the-air, since pay-per-view isn't exactly new.
    Probably not so much. Pay Per View means no ads. They make a lot more money from the ad sales than they would from PPV sales. The reason is that the only people who will PPV are people who really want to see the game itself. The high ratings are from people who watch it as a cultural/social event. Making it PPV will remove that aspect, and people will only watch it as a sporting event.

That's not even to mention the fact that football is inherently a television sport. If there aren't commercial breaks, the entire game and broadcast have to be changed dramatically to handle that.
  • That's a good point. Professional football depends on the breaks that commercials afford.
  • I just watched the Superbowl on youtube, took me all of six minutes.
    Watching on NFL.com is higher quality.
  • That's a good point. Professional football depends on the breaks that commercials afford.
    Well, they could do PPV and keep the ads. That would be outrageous. I wouldn't pay, unless the Giants were in it... Nah. I still wouldn't pay. I would either get tickets or watch at a sports bar. I suspect if they kept the ads and the PPV that they might be able to make equal money, but it would be risky. Less viewers means ads are cheaper. But at the same time, they replace that money with PPV sales.

The thing is, the outrage of them doing it would get so much bad publicity, it would never happen. I mean, just think about the horrible PR. The NFL keeps trying to milk up the Katrina/New Orleans connection. Just imagine the headlines talking about a poor family who had their house destroyed being required to pay $50 to watch the Saints in the big game. It would never fly.
  • edited February 2010
    Some of the commercials viewed as the most successful and creative in advertising have come through the Superbowl. For example, Monster.com's 1999 ad:

Post edited by Alex Leavitt on
  • I feel insulted. Our average English does not sound that horrible.
    I must agree. Every dutch person I've met speaks English better than most native English speakers I know. Hell, Nine is probably the worst of the bunch, and he still speaks better and more intelligently than many people I know.
    The Dutch really like Eric Clapton
    And smoking pot, which might explain the former.
    Watching on NFL.com is higher quality.
    I siphoned off NFL Network's HD feed using some shady online business.
  • Check out the early release of Bud Light's commercial for this year.