This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Japanese film recommendations (Non-Anime)

edited February 2007 in Movies
Ok guys, I need some recommendations for a Japanese movie to watch for my film class. Any ideas?

Comments

• Seven Samurai
  • There are a lot of other good Samurai movies too. I'd recommend Yojimbo as a fun movie and Hara Kiri as a more artsy one.
  • If you've never seen Battle Royale, I suggest you do so. Anyone willing to second this?
  • Bayside Shakedown ^_~
  • Bayside Shakedown ^_~
    They should be acknowledged members of the category “art cinema.” They can be foreign film productions or American independent films.
    I'm not sure Bayside Shakedown counts as "art cinema"...Sorry Rym. :p
  • They should be acknowledged members of the category “art cinema.” They can be foreign film productions or American independent films.
    I'm not sure Bayside Shakedown counts as "art cinema"...Sorry Rym. :pBattle Royale. "If you want a superb psychological thriller, this is the movie. This film sent shock waves across Japan when it burst onto the scene. Intelligent writing, great acting, beautiful locations, and decent effects bring this film together. Its Lord of the Flies with High School Kids."
  • Do you only want suggestions from Japanese movies?

Here's my reccomendations,

Japanese:

Any Akira Kurosawa film( especially Ran, Ichiru, and Seven Samurai),
    Zatoichi films (Very popular series of movies similar as how James Bond is to England and America, It's called the Blind Samurai and I think the most recent release was in 2003),
    Densha Otoko (Train man, although the TV series was better in my opinion this is a recent movie that was wildly popular),
    I'm pretty sure your professor/teacher would allow a Miyazaki film as well.

Korean:

I highly reccomend "My Sassy Girl" I really cannot praise this movie enough it is one of the best movies I have ever seen, in any language,
    "Il Mare" is a little more artsy,
    Windstruck,
    Attack the Gas Station,
    2009 Lost Memories.
  • I was going to say Dark Blue, but then I realised that was animated, duh!

Ring is awesome.
    Weather Woman is odd and Weather Woman Returns is well odder.

I'm sure Ive seen others but I can remember them at this moment.
  • If Wild Zero isn't classed as art cinema, then I don't want to know what is.
  • Shower is Chinese, not Japanese, but watch it anyway. It definitely counts as art cinema. Look how many awards it won at various film festivals.
  • The Hidden Fortress (Kakushi toride no san akunin) is a great film. When I first watched it I had really no idea about what it was about, but it turned out to be an amazing movie. I really should watch it again.
  • Akira Kurosawa's Dreams is very good and is specifically an art cinema piece.

If Korean films are okay, then look for movies by Chan-wook Park. The cinematography in hi movies are amazing. I have seen Boksuneun naui geot (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance) and have heard that his other two "revenge" movies are just as good if not better. Those movies are: Oldboy and Chinjeolhan geumjassi (Lady Vengeance). These movies are fairly easy to get now because Chan-wook Park ha an american following.
  • 2009 Lost Memories.
    NO NO NO! That movie was probably the worst movie I've ever seen. DO NOT WATCH IT. IT IS NOT GOOD.
  • Godzilla vs. Mothra?

*crickets? chirping? hello?*
  • Godzilla vs. Mothra?

*crickets? chirping? hello?*
    That's my favorite one.
  • edited February 2007
    2009 Lost Memories.
    NO NO NO! That movie was probably the worst movie I've ever seen. DO NOT WATCH IT. IT IS NOT GOOD.
    It wasn't the greatest of movies, but I have seen much worse movies than 2009 lost memories, and I challenge you to find a movie that handles the subject of the space time continum better than it did.

EDIT: Especially in a collaboration such as the Japanese and Koreans
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • I have seen much worse movies than 2009 lost memories
    Yes, there are worse movies, but I've known well enough to not watch them or turn them off. ^_~ I watched this cliche-trainwreck to the bitter, bitter end. It's right up there with Avalon in badness.
    I challenge you to find a movie that handles the subject of the space time continum better than it did.
    The subject matter wasn't the problem. I liked the plot, the idea, the setting, and everything. It was just so poorly executed I could cry.

The worst thing about this movie is the opening scene. That scene was amazing, and it set me up for what I expected to be an equally amazing movie. It basically ruined the rest of the movie by being so good.

The fight at the end was lame. The gun "fights" were worse than late 80s American gun movie fights. Everyone had unlimited ammo and terrible aim, coupled with the need to scream constantly while firing. Any time someone was shot, his partner would Rambo, standing there screaming and shooting in slow motion for GREAT DRAMATIC EFFECT!!1! In fact, everything was overdramatic to the point of being silly. There are Harlock movies that aren't as overdone.

I really wanted this movie to be good. I almost walked out near the end. Mercifully, I fell asleep for a few patches in the middle.