This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070206 - Videogame Difficulty

RymRym
edited February 2007 in Video Games
Tonight on GeekNights, we ramble a bit about videogame difficulty. In the news, DDR Wii and the benefits of videogaming.

Scott's Thing - Strange DS Game Holder
Rym's Thing - Born to be Alive

Comments

• Can I make a request regarding file names? Would it be possible to give each mp3 of the show the same title as the episode? Much handier if there's a few episodes and you're picking one to put on your mp3 player, if there's a description. I'm renaming them as I download them (eg 070207 GeekNights - Videogame Difficulty.mp3) but it'd be handy if you were able to give them these names by default...

Minor thing. Cheers.
  • edited February 2007
    Same here. I always add the title to the mp3 so I know what episode it is.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I've been putting that in the id3 for a while now.
  • Ocarina of Time all the way. I think the first time I played it was on an N64 emu. But I never finished it and didn't bother to backup my save when I formatted my PC. So later I bought a GameCube with Wind Waker and OoT/Master Quest. Well I played WW for about half an hour and went "meh..." and started playing OoT and continued to do so for hours. Then when I got Twilight Princess it kept my attention for a lot longer than WW did but it didn't have that Zelda feel and made me wanna start playing OoT again so I did. That game is just so awesome and still very playable to this day. Unlike say... FFVII. There's just so much stuff in that game that annoys me...
  • Now, if you want the filenames changed, that's, to be perfectly honest, not something we're willing to do. Filenames aren't really designed to have that level of metadata in them, and it would create a great deal of extra work on our end. The current filenames are deterministic based on the date of the episode.
  • Note to self: Ultimate podcatching software needs a feature to automatically rename files.
  • I remember way back in the day when one of my friends would make an outrageous claim, "when you kill the mother brain in Metroid you play again but this time, Samus's helmet is off and it's a girl!!!" and all of us would say, no way man! That can't be true!

Back then we didn't have the Internet so we had to beat the game ourselves to find out if the truth was being spoken!

I don't even remember how news circulated, but it did.

The minus world in SMB was one of those "no way, you're lying!" moments as well...
  • I first started playing Zelda on my friends appartment. It was in english and we did not know any at the time. We were 13 year old kids playing a nes game with a dictionary. That is when we decided to beated for good. My friend got the game on 1994 and it was the Golden one. It was special. So I went to his house a friday evening and we played zelda until late at night, the next day when we woke up. My friend discovered that he felt asleep while playing it and we had to start it from the last place we saved. It was an epic weekend, because it was just before finals at the end of the year, and our last time to play before vacation. We had to beat it. It was a very interesting experience to beat a game with the help of a friend. That was the first time I had done that and the next time I have done that was four years ago when my little sister decided to play kingdom hearts and we beat it together, during a big snow we had in Virginia back in 2002.
    I personally played only Zelda I, Zelda Link ot the Past, Zelda -seasons , Zelda -ages, Zelda Ocarina of Time, and Zelda Majora mask, I have played a litlle of Zelda TLP.
    My vote goes to Zelda Ocarina of Time. Funny story about that. I do not know if I have explained the way arcades work in Peru (TV and different PS one, PS 2 , Nintendo 64 , etc connected together.) Well, back on 99 my friend and I went put some money together and we went to the arcade and rent that game every saturday on July of 99 to beat it, and after wards we went and play some soccer outside. Good times, Great times. It is all about the game socialization
  • I'm kind of inclined to agree that Twilight Princess is better then Ocarina of Time, but I don't feel like they really used the world of Hyrule as much as they did in OoT in TP. I think I might also put Wind Waker ahead of OoT as well, mostly because I was really expecting to hate the game, but after actually playing it I was surprised at how good it was.
  • I also played a little of wind waker and ... ... I will be siding with the guys from fast karate on that one.
  • I prefer Twilight Princess too, though I've only played about 6 hours of each.
  • TP > OoT
  • edited February 2007
    Now, if you want the filenames changed, that's, to be perfectly honest, not something we're willing to do. Filenames aren't really designed to have that level of metadata in them, and it would create a great deal of extra work on our end. The current filenames are deterministic based on the date of the episode.
    It doesn't really matter for me either way whether you rename them or not, because I listen on the computer, but how much more work would it be for you to rename the file before you post it up? It would save a lot of time for your fans. Excuse me for my short sightedness.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • This is free content. Take it or leave it. *Gosh*
  • Shut the fuck up, bitches! *Smack*
  • edited February 2007
    Also, secondly, and this one's for Rym. I think you should make sure your view of a game is somewhat concrete before you so enthusiastically praise it.

It's great that you change your opinion of the game and own up to it not being as good as you thought, but it's happened a few times now on games you blindingly praise. I think perhaps being "open-minded" is the word I'm looking for - in the sense that the games could very well be bad as well as good.

For example: Castlevania, Wario Ware Smooth Moves, and Super Monkey Ball were all games you said were going to be great but then realized that they weren't anything special.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited February 2007
    This is free content. Take it or leave it. *Gosh*
    Like I said: I don't care either way.

I just wanted to know why it would take a long time, because all Rym has to do is rename those files?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • but how much more work would it be for you to rename the file before you post it up?
    You don't understand the issue. It's not the act of renaming that's the problem: it's the end result. The filenames are deterministic so that we can manipulate them after the fact with our computer, a thing that's made much more annoying and difficult if the filenames don't conform to an exact standard.

We had over 200 episodes in the first season alone. The filenames are the way they are for easy management.

ALSO...

Notice how they're all 8.3? We're using the most compatible format possible in the interest of ALL of our listeners. Long filenames, filenames with spaces, and so forth can cause trouble. Also, savvy listeners can use those filenames the same way we do, manipulating their archives easily with scripts.
    castlevania, wario ware smooth moves, super monkey ball
    Those games all had the potential to be great. When we actually reviewed them, after we'd played them fully, I rated them according to their actual merit. Castlevania is still a good game: it just hit me with a particularly annoying thing at the wrong time. Our review of WarioWare wasn't particularly glowing, and I had very little good to say at all about Monkey Ball.

We generally don't play truly bad games. We don't review them because we don't play them. The only games you'll hear us reviewing are either good games, or games that had the potential to be good.
  • My younger sister and I played through OoT together the first time through. We both had our own save file but we ended up burning through hers first because it was faster with me helping her and I didn't want to replay stuff I'd already done on her game - we wanted to know what happened next! :D Good times... We got stuck on the Fire Temple for HOURS in one spot where you had to jump from a ledge to another platform because we didn't think Link could jump that far. D: Goddam. We tried everything before she just ran off the edge in desperation...and made it. XD We played the Ocarina EVERYWHERE, spend countless time staring at the map for secret passages... It was ridiculous.
  • Monkey Ball for the Wii: That Dart game is awesome!
  • Monkey Ball for the Wii: That Dart game is awesome!
    If by "awesome," you mean doesn't include any real dart games and trivially easy, then I agree... ^_~
  • edited February 2007
    Has anyone perfected their Wii bowling throw yet?

What's the deal with Wii Sports Golf. I am the worst at putting because when I try to tap the ball lightly I get no response from the Wiimote until, as I gradually apply more force, the ball ends ups flying all the way across the green!!!
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Has anyone perfected their Wii bowling throw yet?

What's the deal with Wii Sports Golf. I am the worst at putting because when I try to tap the ball lightly I get no response from the Wiimote until, as I gradually apply more force, the ball ends ups flying all the way across the green!!!
    I perfected my Wii bowling throw as much as I'm ever going to long ago. Putting has nothing to do with the moving of the Wiimote, but with the stopping. They are definitely measuring the deceleration of the Wiimote when putting. Also, haven't played Wii Sports in ages. It's definitely DS season.
  • Decelerating through the ball kills the stroke, using any club!
  • You're both as qualified to comment on World of Warcraft as I am on Wii Sports. (Yeah, I don't own a Wii.)

If you need someone to set the record straight on WoW, I'm the guy to interview. If not, well, you can just continue to be shit-talkers.
  • Actually I think my roommate is the only one qualified to talk about WoW. I think he played it for 2 months straight after getting out of the Navy and being unemployed. He is also the guy referenced as being a great dancer but didn't know better in a recent Geeknights ^_^
  • Nobody's posted about DDR Wii? Well what if people could make some kind of attachment you could strap on to your shins like ankle weights that you could insert wii-motes into. Then the Wii could tell how you are actually dancing. I haven't actually thought this through or anything but if you had 2 wii-motes lying around it would be kind of neat.
  • Until we win
    this is a hardcore gamer...
  • Until we win
    this is a hardcore gamer...
    Actually Jason is a nice guy and does a plethora of things, check out His 24 Hour stream as well as his other works.