This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 100317 - Oh Shit, It's Wolverine!

edited March 2010 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights, watch out for Wolverine. In the news Japanese game developers and animators make no money. Also, listener Chase Gordon is the awesome.

Comments

• I skimmed that Ultimate X issue. I'll probably pick up the trade just for the Art Adams art. Goddamn that man can draw.
  • Wait?! There's a ranking for listeners?!
  • Wait?! There's a ranking for listeners?!
    Yep. Hello from the bottom, how's the air up there?
  • edited March 2010
    Wait?! There's a ranking for listeners?!
    Yep. Hello from the bottom, how's the air up there?
    Probably not as good as the air SOME OTHER PEOPLE are breathing...

Code Organ: @Scott, just push the damn 'About' Button! IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I skimmed that Ultimate X issue. I'll probably pick up the trade just for the Art Adams art. Goddamn that man can draw.
    A million times yes.
  • Oh, no! Rym! Wolverine and the X-Men was terrible!

OK, maybe not terrible... but definitely not all that great. I'm not the biggest X-Men fan in the world, but the wife is. Through her, I've been... let's say "subjected to"... the vast majority of mainstream media for the franchise (all the cartoons, all the movies, even the made-for-TV Generation X movie), and a lot of the other little things here and there. It's not a world/universe I'm in love with, but I don't mind diving into it every so often. I joke about it being forced upon me, but that's not entirely true :).

Something we loved about X-Men Evolution was the A-Plot/B-Plot structure of every episode. It's a common trope, but an incredibly effective one. While the "main" plot of the episode is going on over here with these couple dudes, another sub-plot (which may or may not tie into the "main" plot later on in the episode) is happening over here. It helps keep things fresh, gives minor characters some extra attention (which is always good for cameos), blah blah blah. Wolverine and the X-Men almost never did this, so if I was even remotely disinterested in the main plot line of the episode, I had nothing else to look forward to that week -- it was a total wash. This happened far too often with the show.

The worst part is that Wolverine alone can't carry a show all on his own. He's just not that interesting. Maybe a movie, and maybe an episode... but not an entire season of a show... which is what they tried to do. To me, it just didn't work.

For what it's worth, I read the Origin comic a few years back and really did enjoy it for what it was. I don't think I would have enjoyed it if it ran any longer than that one issue.
  • He's just not that interesting.
    He would be, if he had a coherent story. He's had more retcons that the bloody bible.
  • The worst part is that Wolverine alone can't carry a show all on his own. He's just not that interesting. Maybe a movie, and maybe an episode... but not an entire season of a show... which is what they tried to do. To me, it just didn't work.
    Did you watch a different show then we did?
  • Did you watch a different show then we did?
    I don't know what to tell you. I just didn't find it all that interesting of a show. What kills me is that a lot of the same creative team from Evolution also worked on the new one. Was it just that everything *I* liked about Evolution is what the prior audience didn't like, which they then turned around and made into Wolverine & Sometimes a Bunch of Other Guys...?

I really dug a lot of the quasi-"shoujo" elements, if you will, from Evolution. Stuff like the Lance & Kitty relationship was cute and kept some interesting dynamics going between the two groups. Toad also had his own rap song. I mean, seriously. HIS OWN RAP SONG.

Maybe I'm just so un-tied to the tried-and-true story lines that I'm cool with a little experimentation. Are you a big fan of the franchise in general? Maybe it was also just the pacing of it all -- I don't need a "cure" story arc, the Brotherhood, Mr. Sinister, Apocalypse, and a Phoenix story arc all in the same season. Poor pacing was something the original cartoon really suffered from, as well, but that was less about "how many stories per season" and "how many things can happen in one episode".

It's kinda weird. I look back on that first season (what, almost a year after it first aired?) and think it was... well, just "OK", bordering on "bad". I was bored out of my mind during most of the individual episodes, but they collectively added up to something at least halfway interesting to reflect on. If anything, it just made me want to dig out the two prior cartoons and watch them, instead :).
  • Was it just that everything *I* liked aboutEvolutionis what the prior audiencedidn'tlike,
    I thought Evolution was pretty damn unwatchable, which is probably why I enjoyed Wolverine so much.
  • Was it just that everything *I* liked aboutEvolutionis what the prior audiencedidn'tlike,
    I thought Evolution was pretty damn unwatchable, which is probably why I enjoyed Wolverine so much.
    I really liked Evolution, so I will probably dislike Wolverine, should I choose to watch it. I probably won't, though...Too much going on.
  • *Listening to the show*

Whhhhhhaaatttt X-men 2 was the best X-men movie Rym.... really?
  • edited March 2010
    I really liked Evolution, so I will probably dislike Wolverine, should I choose to watch it. I probably won't, though...Too much going on.
    I really enjoyed both, but then went back and tried to watch the first series, but stopped because I found it to be unwatchable.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • This made me nostalgic for when I read comics in the early 80s. I still have them all including a lot of Xmen, Spiderman (I have #252 here in my hands) and the original Wolverine books. Good times.
  • For shits and giggles, a list of wolverine's 10 most mortifying moments.

For those not interested in reading the full list, you have to watch this - From the cartoon "Pryde of the X-men", curiously, the Canadian wolverine suddenly not only has an Australian accent, but the worst "throw another shrimp on the bahbie and chuck us a fostas will ya sheila!" accent you've ever heard.
  • I have a few comments about wolverine too add:

The second X-men movie was by far the best out of the 4.

There is son of Wolverine in the normal marvel universe that has been around for a couple years now. His name is Daken and has his own series called "Dark Wolverine". He has a difference in claws that the middle claw is on the bottom of his hand. He also has all of Wolverine abilities with the added power to excrete pheromones that he can make people angry, fall in love with him, etc.

There is a character called X-23 that is a 16 year old female clone of Wolverine that is quite popular, she was created originally in the X-man evolution cartoon but shortly moved to the cannon of the comics. She has a difference of claws where the middle of the three claws was moved to her feet. She is Currently on X-force a team that is lead by Wolverine.

The Ultimate X comic is written by Jeff Loeb who is viewed as one of the most overrated writers by hardcore superhero comic fans. The artist of the book Art Adams is known as a slow art producer. The series will probably fizzle out due to a slow release and will result in only one trade that goes nowhere.

Wolverine has 2 solo series (Wolverine Origins and Wolverine Weapon X), he is on the X-men, leader of X-force, Avengers, New Avengers, and has an upcoming Astonishing Wolverine and Spider-man (I hear that is going to take place in outer space).

And Scott look for the two part story in wolverine (the last two issues before the series turned to Dark Wolverine I think) written by Jason Aaron. It is a funny story that calls out Wolverine being everywhere at once, it's worth reading.

That's all I have to say about that.