This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

edited March 2010 in Video Games
Wut.

Oh who am I kidding, I bought a DSi. I'm going to buy this one anyway.

Comments

• More like Wutever.

More like Pokemon.
  • This may be how it will work and this is everything Kotaku knows and what they are assuming.
  • This sounds like it could be sorta cool.

I still have my DS Phat, so if this has the sleekness of the Lite and the features of the DSi, then it's probably a buy for me.

Didn't they announce a double-sized DS as well?
  • Didn't they announce a double-sized DS as well?
    Yep, the DSi XL. It's a waste of money and will most likely not sell very well in America (it's not even out yet).
    I still have my DS Phat, so if this has the sleekness of the Lite and the features of the DSi, then it's probably a buy for me.
    From what I can tell, it's a new DS console and not just an upgrade.
  • I understand, but I still want the potability and download store that I've missed out on.
  • I understand, but I still want the potability and download store that I've missed out on.
    Well, it's going to have backwards capabilities with the DS and DSiWare. There isn't really a reason at this point to not upgrade when it comes out, unless you use your Phat to play GBA games.
    I'm pretty sure you're not going to find a DS that won't hurt you when you try to drink it.
  • This is a terrible idea.
  • @Li: Well I guess I'm gonna waste my money then on the XL and a pirate card because I've got a lot of catchup to do on the DS. Am I the only one who actually wants an XL?
  • @Li: Well I guess I'm gonna waste my money then on the XL and a pirate card because I've got a lot of catchup to do on the DS. Am I the only one who actually wants an XL?
    Pirate cards don't work on either the DSi or the XL, they have upgradable firmware like the Wii. Cracks may exist, but if you're going to go the pirate route, you're going to want to get a DS lite or Phat.
  • Flashcarts work fine on the DSi/XL, you need to get a DSi compatible card and keep an eye on the news of any firmware updates, like 1.4, which block them. Then just wait until work-arounds are produced.
  • Virtual Boy 2.0
  • Virtual Boy 2.0
    I'll say the same thing when the DS first came out. If it's VirtualBoy, then it's awesome because you own a Virtual Boy. Owning a Virtual Boy today is awesome. If it's a success, then you bought the right thing. It's a guaranteed win to purchase one.

One additional thing I will now add.

Never bet against a Nintendo portable that has a real Pokemon game for it. GameBoy Color had a Pokemon game (Silver/Gold) that could be played on a non-color GB. GBA and DS Pokemon games were not backward compatible.
  • If it's VirtualBoy, then it's awesome because you own a Virtual Boy. Owning a Virtual Boy today is awesome. If it's a success, then you bought the right thing. It's a guaranteed win to purchase one.
    Yeah, but what if it's just mediocre? A bunch of people buy it, and then go "This thing's a pile of shit and there's like five worthwhile games for it and I only like one of them." Then it's not awesome because everyone has one, and it's also not awesome because it's a shitty console. This is pretty much how I view my Wii right now.
  • Actually there's a surprisingly large homebrew community for the Virtual Boy that have made really great things (the link cable that never got made, an adjustable headstrap, and some very impressive homebrew game) and I want to get into that. Also, I want to own a Virtual Boy legitimately (novelty value is a minor factor) because even though the console itself is bad, the games are pretty good (WARIO FTW, Teleroboxer, Shadow over Innsmouth, and more).
    If it's VirtualBoy, then it's awesome because you own a Virtual Boy. Owning a Virtual Boy today is awesome. If it's a success, then you bought the right thing. It's a guaranteed win to purchase one.
    Yeah, but what if it's just mediocre? A bunch of people buy it, and then go "This thing's a pile of shit and there's like five worthwhile games for it and I only like one of them." Then it's not awesome because everyone has one, and it's also not awesome because it's a shitty console. This is pretty much how I view my Wii right now.
    Trogdor, did you ever play a Virtual Boy before or are you only going by what you have heard and just jumping on that bandwagon without actually having experienced what said bandwagon is saying?
  • I rented a Virtual Boy back in the day, and it hurt my eyes after ten minutes.
  • The Virtual Boy's failure was not due to bad games, it was due to the fact that the display was only in red and black because inexpensive green and blue LEDs were non-existent at that time and Nintendo decided to be thrifty and not spend the money on those integral pieces. If Gunpei Yokoi (may he rest in piece) was given the extra time he needed to tweak it until it fit his preferences, it could have been great.
    Also, they didn't really make any games that (other than The Shadow Over Innsmouth, Red Alarm, and Teleroboxer) didn't simulate the feeling of being in the game (hence the term virtual reality) and instead copped out with somewhat shallow 3D elements.
    If I ever do get a Virtual Boy, I'm gonna crack the case and see if I can insert some different colored LEDs since all that is really inside are two red LEDs that go through two lenses which are then reflected off two oscillating mirrors which send an image straight to the viewer.
  • it was due to the fact that the display was only in red and black
    Well, that and the fact that playtime in excess of 5 minutes absolutely wrecked your eyes.
  • wordswordswords.gif
    Sounds like another instance of Lordyupa praising old shit because it's old.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2010
    it was due to the fact that the display was only in red and black
    Well, that and the fact that playtime in excess of 5 minutes absolutely wrecked your eyes.
    That I will not deny, because that was crap. But there was a function in the system, that forced you to take breaks to help alleviate eye strain and allowed you to set a timer that did this. But I have a question though, if the Virtual Boy was in any other color other than red (or maybe a combination of different colors), would headaches or eye-strain still occur?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • would headaches or eye-strain still occur?
    My guess is that the headaches and strain of the VirtualBoy are due to the required uncomfortable sitting position, and the imperfect focus. Yes, you could adjust the focus, but it would never be quite perfect for any given pair of eyeballs. The result is that your eyes do a lot of work to keep things in focus, causing strain.
  • Trogdor, did you ever play a Virtual Boy before or are you only going by what you have heard and just jumping on that bandwagon without actually having experienced what said bandwagon is saying?
    No, but you may have misunderstood what I was saying. My point is that at one end of the spectrum, you have an awesome device, and at the other you have a piece of crap that is cool to have in the future. But in the middle you just have a piece of crap that isn't even cool.
  • would headaches or eye-strain still occur?
    My guess is that the headaches and strain of the VirtualBoy are due to the required uncomfortable sitting position, and the imperfect focus. Yes, you could adjust the focus, but it would never be quite perfect for any given pair of eyeballs. The result is that your eyes do a lot of work to keep things in focus, causing strain.
    There is a better way...
  • There is a better way...
    Haha, that reminds me of this thing I had as a kid that basically strapped around your head and had a tiny little LED screen that was projected onto a piece of plastic that went over your eye, then the whole thing had a controller attached to it. It was a racing game. It sucked :p
  • There is a better way...
    Haha, that reminds me of this thing I had as a kid that basically strapped around your head and had a tiny little LED screen that was projected onto a piece of plastic that went over your eye, then the whole thing had a controller attached to it. It was a racing game. It sucked :p
    OMG! I had that! My aunt got it for me a long time ago! I can't believe anyone other than me remembers that. Yeah that game...you know what I won't even dignify it as such...that device was horseshit.
  • Eh, neat idea. I'm definitley going to get a DSi XL but probably this too eventually. Still have my DS Lite, never got the DSi.
  • I'm surprised any of you are buying the elderly person DS.
  • Well, I would buy the XL over the lite, my hands are too big, so when I use a lite they hurt like hell.
  • I'll get the thing just to have a DS with better graphics. And I do have a Virtual Boy back on my dad's house.
  • edited September 2010
    It's going to have a Virtual Console for Game Boy games. Have at it.

One thing that I'm wondering is if they release Pokemon games onto the Virtual Console if you will be able to use them in a dual slot mode with future Pokemon games.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on