This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars/Star Trek Novels

edited February 2007 in Suggestions
I'm usually a bit embarrassed to read a Star Wars or Star Trek novel, but I read Vanguard a few weeks ago and it wasn't that bad. Not as good as something serious, like Revelation Space, but not bad. Last year I read Revenge of the Sith and it was TERRIBLE. I read Dark Lord soon after and it wasn't too bad, but there wasn't enough Vader, which was silly because the story was supposed to be primarily about him. I read Outbound Flight a little before that, and found that I'm really not that interested in Republic stories.

I remember when Splinter of the Mind's Eye first came out. I thought it was good, but I was in the eighth grade, so I don't know if it would seem as good now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for Star Wars novels that involve the original trilogy characters or Star Trek novels dealing with TOS?

Another thing: Has anyone seen that Iron Man DVD? I saw it in Blockbuster last weekend and nearly rented it, but before i got to the checkout counter, I decided that I didn't want to invest even an hour in it if it was gonna turn out to be as crappy as the Ultimate Avengers DVD. I really want to like Iron Man, but I just can't work up the interest.

Comments

• I haven't read those since I was 14, but when I did I was hooked. I probably read more than a hundred from the two franchises combined. I still have one sitting on my shelf that I received from a good friend as a birthday present. It's titled "Battleship" and it is set in TOS universe. It tells the story from the perspective of commander Piper, not from the perspective of Kirk and company. Damn I loved those novels. It would be an easily defensible argument to say that reading ST and SW as a youngling makes you smarter by introducing you to complex physical, ethical, and theoretical concepts. I remember picking them up in fifth grade; my learning curve went through the roof.
  • I also tend to stay away from books that have any sort of association with established sci-fi or fantasy universes. That's mostly because I don't care about most of those universes. However, if I really needed a Star Wars fix, I would hit the Dark Horse comics. So far I've read exactly 1 of them, Dark Empire 1. I was told it was the best one of the bunch, but I think it's pretty average. If you like Star Wars a lot, it will be above average. I might eventually try some of the X-Wing or Rouge Squadron ones because I like fighter pilot action.
  • edited February 2007
    I read that Dark Empire set of comics. The idea of Luke actually going over to the "dark side" was at least mildly interesting, but the artwork was very bad. It was so bad there were times I couldn't tell who the characters were supposed to be.

If you like fighter pilot action, have you played (and I know they're very old) "Crimson Skies" and "Secret Weapons over Normandy"? "Crimson Skies" was interesting at first, but I was disappointed when I realized that no one was actually dying. Everyone successfully bailed out of their plane, like an old episode of "A-Team".
    I haven't read those since I was 14, . . . I remember picking them up in fifth grade; my learning curve went through the roof.
    That's why I'm embarrassed to read them. The Star Wars books I talked about in the first post could all easily be kid's books. Vanguard was a little more grown up. That's kind of the question. Does anyone know of any such novels that are a little more serious and grown up?

I'm very tempted by Allegiance. I don't know if I'll be able to resist buying it until it comes out in paperback, my local library gets it, or I find it cheaper on Amazon or Ebay than I could get it from SFBC. I'll be very disappointed if I spend money on it and it turns out to be crappy.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I am going the Daryl way from here on and I will say " I do not know how to read" so I am getting some from Itunes, then I will draw my conclusions :P
  • Well, I don't know of any long-running novel franchise as such that is worth reading, but I can certainly recommend specific books. Eon by Greg Bear is very good, to start, and if I remember correctly you've already read the Heechee novels by Pohl. If not, do so. Joe Haldeman's stuff is pretty old but still holds up, and The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and (even, surprisingly) Starship Troopers by Heinlein are both terrific.

If you're interested in fantasy series, now... there I can make some recommendations. I'll wait for your cue on that one, though, because I have the feeling you want to stay more on the sci-fi side.
  • edited February 2007
    I don't ignore fantasy, but I'm usually more interested in SF. I liked the Temeraire series quite a lot. I'll also read some horror. I was very disappointed in Lisey's Story, but Cell was quite good.

I've read Starship Troopers four times. I even like the movie. I'm like *this close* to getting the video game, in spite of people saying it's bad.

I've got a bug about Star Trek/Star Wars right now though. Mostly because Vanguard was so decent and Allegiance looks so pretty. There's another new Star Trek one called Missing in Action that looks like it might have to do with the Mirror Universe, one of my favorite Universes of all. Normally, I wouldn't be that interested.
  • I've got a terrible confession to make. I'm going through some TNG mania right now. I've been watching a crap-ton of old episodes on some unnamed video site, and I recently picked up three softback novels at my city library's book sale. Picard and friends are still awesome after all these years.
  • I've got a terrible confession to make. I'm going through some TNG mania right now. I've been watching a crap-ton of old episodes on some unnamed video site, and I recently picked up three softback novels at my city library's book sale. Picard and friends are still awesome after all these years.
    I despised the first couple of episodes of the first season of TNG and never watched it again. I might have to amend my decision and give it another try.
  • Uh oh... Joe and I share a common interest in a book...

I have also read Starship Troopers multiple times. I did not care for the movie at all because I'm more of a purist when it comes to adapting a book into a movie. Where were the gorilla suits??? Where were the Skinnies???

I have never heard of a Starship Troopers video game though there is a miniatures game (based more on the CGI series) and Avalon Hill put out a very good Starship Troopers game. I have that game but I have trouble finding others to play it with.

As to SW/ST novels... I read them as a kid and enjoyed them but I can't get as much enjoyment out of them now. This is because of the instances where the answer to a problem is so obvious yet the characters can't figure it out because the problem is the core plot of the book.
  • Back before uni, I read just about every single Forgotten Realms novel that was published...

(EXCEPT for those damn Drizzt books. I just couldn't stand them).
  • The only ones I have read were the Young Jedi Knights series when I was in elementary school. I get most of my expanded universe info from the Star Wars site.
  • edited February 2007
    I have never heard of a Starship Troopers video game though there is a miniatures game (based more on the CGI series) and Avalon Hill put out a very good Starship Troopers game. I have that game but I have trouble finding others to play it with.

As to SW/ST novels... I read them as a kid and enjoyed them but I can't get as much enjoyment out of them now.
    A Starship Troopers game exists, but people have written that it's bad.

Regarding the ST/SW novels, I'm focussing more on the new ones, like Vanguard, Allegiance, and Missing in Action. Those seem to be less aimed at kids.

Has anyone seen that Iron Man DVD? I saw it in Blockbuster last weekend and nearly rented it, but before i got to the checkout counter, I decided that I didn't want to invest even an hour in it if it was gonna turn out to be as crappy as the Ultimate Avengers DVD. I really want to like Iron Man, but I just can't work up the interest.
  • Has anyone seen thatIron ManDVD? I saw it in Blockbuster last weekend and nearly rented it, but before i got to the checkout counter, I decided that I didn't want to invest even an hour in it if it was gonna turn out to be as crappy as theUltimate AvengersDVD. I really want to like Iron Man, but I just can't work up the interest.
    Off on a tangent there but... You should look into Net Flix as a source of rented DVD movies. I know Rym and Scott use it.
  • edited February 2007
    I did not care for the movie at all because I'm more of a purist when it comes to adapting a book into a movie.
    I was just glad that they made a movie. I particularly liked the starships. They reminded me of the Honor Harrington ships a little bit. Has anyone read that series?

What those ships REALLY reminded me of though, was the Pillar of Autumn. Has anyone read the Halo books? The Flood was just a blow-by-blow of the game, but The Fall of Reach was like an improved version of Ender's Game. It's definitely worth reading, especially if you like Ender's Game.

Off on a tangent there but... You should look intoNet Flixas a source of rented DVD movies. I know Rym and Scott use it.
    That's cool, but I'd still have to pay money to rent Iron Man, and if it's anything like Ultimate Avengers, it's not worth it.
  • By popular demand, hereis a totally, totally ethically irresponsible link to Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes. I love my NextGen so much :D As soon as the box sets come down to a reasonable price (they are $50 per season right now, and I'm not willing to pay $400 for one series), I will be buying them all. Let the lovefest begin.

Joe: I beg. I plead. Watch them.
  • edited February 2007
    Thanx. I'll certainly watch them.

I was looking through them and notices that there were some Mirror episodes. I didn't know they did those. Did they by any chance collect them in a DVD set? I'd buy that for a dollar.

Did you see the couple of episodes of Enterprise set in the Mirror Universe? They were the only episodes of that whole series worth watching. I loves me some Mirror Universe.
  • Joe, did you ever read Armor by John Steakley?

As for the starships in the movie. They did look cool but, being someone who is big on military history and tactics, seeing them in the standard 2-D formation in space all clumped together just rubbed me the wrong way.
  • Did you see the couple of episodes ofEnterpriseset in the Mirror Universe? They were the only episodes of that whole series worth watching. I loves me some Mirror Universe.
    I never watched Enterprise but wasn't that the plot twist that got all the trekkies up in arms because they changed canon?
  • edited February 2007
    Joe, did you ever readArmorby John Steakley?
    No, but it looks good. I'll probably pick it up after I'm done with Hannibal Rising.

This reminds me: I don't know anything about Warhammer. Nothing at all. However, I've seen a couple of HUGE collections of stories in Borders that look very appealing. Would it be worth it to pick up one of those?

Has anyone read any of the Mechwarrior books? Are they any good? Are there any books that deal with the Wolf's Dragoons?
    I never watched Enterprise but wasn't that the plot twist that got all the trekkies up in arms because they changed canon?
    I'm not hooked up enough with the trekkies to know.
  • Did you see the couple of episodes ofEnterpriseset in the Mirror Universe? They were the only episodes of that whole series worth watching. I loves me some Mirror Universe.
    I missed a few episodes of the show due to schedule changes but I don't recall that storyline!

The last season of that show was the pits as they were obviously rushing things so they could kill the show.

• This reminds me: I don't know anything aboutWarhammer. Nothing at all. However, I've seen a couple of HUGE collections of stories in Borders that look very appealing. Would it be worth it to pick up one of those?

Are you talking about the books for reading or the game for playing?

If you are talking about the books I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the Gaunt's Ghosts line of books set in the WarHammer 40K Universe. There are some other sets you can purchase in an omnibus format as well.
  • edited February 2007
    Did you see the couple of episodes ofEnterpriseset in the Mirror Universe? They were the only episodes of that whole series worth watching. I loves me some Mirror Universe.
    I missed a few episodes of the show due to schedule changes but I don't recall that storyline!

The last season of that show was the pits as they were obviously rushing things so they could kill the show.
    They were the last two shows before the series finale, which sucked really bad. For those two episodes, they even altered the openings, and so, instead of being all peace-y and PC, they showed the Enterprise flying around blasting the crap out of everything. It was SO cool. Here's a link.

This reminds me: I don't know anything aboutWarhammer. Nothing at all. However, I've seen a couple of HUGE collections of stories in Borders that look very appealing. Would it be worth it to pick up one of those?

Are you talking about the books for reading or the game for playing?

If you are talking about the books I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of theGaunt's Ghostsline of books set in the WarHammer 40K Universe. There are some other sets you can purchase in an omnibus format as well.
    I'm talking about the books. The omnibus books must be what I saw. Are they good?

• I'm talking about the books. The omnibus books must be what I saw. Are they good?
    Of the WarHammer books I have read I don't think I've read a bad one. Keep in mind I have only read the 40K books and not the fantasy ones.

Say what you will about the game but, GamesWorkshop/Black Library keeps to a high standard when it comes to their book lines. If you see Eisenhorn in a thick paperback format pick it up. It's good stuff and a long read.
  • edited February 2007
    Say what you will about the game but, GamesWorkshop/Black Library keeps to a high standard when it comes to their book lines. If you seeEisenhornin a thick paperback format pick it up. It's good stuff and a long read.
    I play 40k, but not just for the actual game (which is ok, I mean it's fun but there are issues with it). I'm actually a pretty decent painter and enjoy painting the models. I can get the models to about store quality if you have ever been in one the stores.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited February 2007
    Another series that I go back and forth about is the Dark Wing series. I sometimes pick it up and consider starting it, but then the covers look so silly that I never do. Does anyone know anything about it?
  • The good Star Wars books are:

X-Wing series - based on the pc games, the ones by Micheal Stackpole have better action and those by Aaron Allston are hilarious are are highly recommended. What I love about this series is that they don't focus on the main characters of Luke, Han, Chewie, Leia, etc and instead flesh out minor characters from the movie like Wedge Antilles and Tycho and introduce new ones. This freedom really creates some memorable characters.
    I, Jedi - Many people call this the quintessential SW book, it has the starfighter action from the X-Wing books and details Jedi training/fighting. But it borrows characters from the X-Wing series so it is a good idea to finish those books first.
    The Thrawn Trilogy - What makes this series so great is the villian, Thrawn is a level-headed calculating badass instead of the typical crazy evil Imperial warlord or random sith villian.
  • Kite: Have you read Allegiance?
  • I know you asked specifically about Star Trek: TOS books, Joe, but if you've ever watched or enjoyed Deep Space Nine at all I recommend A Stitch in Time by Andrew Robinson. Garak was one of the most interesting and enigmatic characters in the show, and here it is, a book about Garak written by the actor himself. I've read a good many DS9 books and this one was by far the best I picked up.
  • I've never watched a complete episode of DS9, so I don't know anything about it. Is that the series that had the "Dominion War"? I picked up a "Dominion War" PC game one time but didn't get very interested in it.

Y'know, it's really not so much that I disdained these series. They were on during times when I was so busy I couldn't regularly watch TV. I think I might've liked "Voyager" and "Babylon 5", but I never could synch up my schedule so that I could record them, much less see them.
  • I gotta read me some of that Thrawn action one of these days. He's totally my hero despite having never read anything about him other than Wikipedia.