This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Polls for noobs

edited June 2010 in Suggestions
Hi, I just started posting here and wanted to let you know that the backlog of old polls is pretty daunting to wade through for someone just starting out. And they impede getting to discussions. The only solution I'm seeing is to turn the poll off or do all... 30 or so of them?

And suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Comments

• OzOz
    edited June 2010
    You can click the "turn off" button, and then scroll down until you see "turn off poll notifications" or something. Check that, and they go away. Worked for me.

EDIT: Or you could click your name, go to the side, go down, click on Forum Preferences, and continue from there.
    Post edited by Oz on
  • Oh, thanks for pointing this out. It's a problem I never realize because I never see it. I will fix it.
  • Oz: This is what I did. It just made me a little sad that I wouldn't see future polls :)

Scott: Thanks!
  • There are polls?
  • There are polls?
    Rarely. And the forum software is a bit retarded in that it, by default, just notifies you of every existing poll on the forums that you have not voted for, you can guess what this means for new user accounts. The idea of notifying someone about a new poll is nice, but it should have an 'age' setting so that you will get notified of any polls started/active, say, less than 1 month ago instead of every single fucking one.

It works, but it's incomplete.
  • I went through each one last week and clicked ignore on all the ones I didn't answer... one poll showed me that there are only 6 people (or so) here in my age range.. : /
  • I went through each one last week and clicked ignore on all the ones I didn't answer... one poll showed me that there are only 6 people (or so) here in my age range.. : /
    Note that many of those polls are years old at this point, so I'm sure some of the age ranges are not accurate anymore.
  • Somehow I had totally overlooked the "Remove" button, so thanks for pointing that out!
  • I completely removed all poll notifications. I haven't removed the setting, but it doesn't do anything at all now. If anyone actually wanted poll notifications, well, tough. Vanilla 2 is coming soon, and that's going to change everything anyway.
  • Vanilla 2 is coming soon,
    Vanilla 2 has been "coming soon" for over a year now.
  • Vanilla 2 has been "coming soon" for over a year now.
    Shit takes time. A year is about right. I think there's a release candidate now.
  • Vanilla 2 has been "coming soon" for over a year now.
    Shit takes time. A year is about right. I think there's a release candidate now.
    I'm not saying it doesn't, but they made it seem like it was coming out the end of last summer.
  • I'm not saying it doesn't, but they made it seem like it was coming out the end of last summer.
    Show me where they said that. You're just having a poor perception of it because it's open source. When something is open source, you get to see it from beginning to end. Most closed source things, like video games, they don't even tell you that they exist until they are mostly done.
  • Show me where they said that. You're just having a poor perception of it because it's open source. When something is open source, you get to see it from beginning to end. Most closed source things, like video games, they don't even tell you that they exist until they are mostly done.
    Not to mention there is a hell of a lot more capability to fuck about playing grab-ass Duke Nukem Forever style with open source, with almost zero consequence. Think about it - if someone behaved when they were employed by a company the way many do when making open source stuff, they'd find themselves back in the unemployment line with astounding rapidity.