This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Suggestion for book club discussions

edited July 2010 in Suggestions
I am enjoying the book club books you guys suggest and have read many of them as you guys do the shows. However, I feel that the actual discussions of the books are sort of lacking. Often times when I am reading the books and I come across something awesome I look forward to the show and hope you guys talk about particular aspects. The last show on the book Cosmos was particularly unsatisfying, as there were many more things worth mentioning. Furthermore, I would like to hear more about your own thoughts on any symbolism, undertones, plot elements, etc.

I think what would both help ameliorate this as well as motivate more people to read along with the club is to allow for us to post questions or topics that we would like you to discuss on the book episodes. That way you guys can also get a feel for how many people are actually reading the book and we would be more enthusiastic to read them as well. The book discussions themselves would also be more interesting.

Comments

• That's not a bad idea. Let's come up with some Lies of Locke Lamora discussion questions.
  • edited July 2010
    While we're on the subject: Are you able to put a poll on the main site asking how many people join in on the book club and if anyone has started reading because of it?

I'm still not that motivated to read but that's largely due to other matters. However, I'd be interested to see if it's got anyone else reading.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Some possible future book club picks:
    The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
    The Book of Lost Things
    The Great and Secret Show (First Book of the Art) and Everville (Second Book of the Art)
    The Child Thief: A Novel
    Dying Inside
    Nightwings
  • Hmm... Next one is my pick. I've been toying with Thus Spake Zarathustra, but I know kids won't read it.
  • I've been toying withThus Spake Zarathustra, but I know kids won't read it.
    I've already read it, but it's been a while - last time I read Thus Spake for fun it must have been first year of high school.
  • The Book of Lost Things
    Do it already.
  • The Book of Lost Things
    Do it already.
    • Your Brain
    • Your mom
    • Your penis
    • Tribes 2
  • Your BrainYour momYour penisTribes 2
    Scott Rubin's Love life.

:-p
  • Scott Rubin's Love life.
    Nah, Lost myths are covered in volume 2.
  • Your marbles.
  • The list I provided were all things I thought "the kids" might read.
  • There's a series called Hex, Hex: Shadows, and Hex: Ghosts. They're super short but have a fair amount of sci-fi in them. I read them when I was a kid.
  • Hmm... Next one is my pick. I've been toying withThus Spake Zarathustra, but I know kids won't read it.
    How about a classic? I'd love to re-read Moby Dick
  • I'd love to re-readMoby Dick
    Be my guest.
  • I'd love to re-readMoby Dick
    No you wouldn't. Just listen to Mastodon instead.
  • How about The Cuckoo's Egg? I just started reading it in between reading Locke Lamora, and it's a pretty interesting book so far. It's basically about this guy who has to track a hacker through computer systems, but it's all non-fiction and uses real computer things, not WE HAVE TO HACK THE IPS. ALL OF THEM. type stuff.
  • Am I missing something here? Surely this thread isn't to suggest books, but to suggest discussion topics for the book that's coming up on the next discussion show.
  • Am I missing something here? Surely this thread isn't to suggest books, but to suggest discussion topics for the book that's coming up on the next discussion show.
    That was my intent. This thread got derailed fast.

• Here's my thoughts on the book: SFBRP #103

• Here's my thoughts on the book:SFBRP #103
    Awesome, I'll actually give this a listen.

However, I don't think it's a sci-fi book. Do you make an argument that it is, or do you just not care?
  • However, I don't think it's a sci-fi book. Do you make an argument that it is, or do you just not care?
    It is set in a "fantasy sci-fi" setting I'd say. And, while inelegantly done at times, it does explore the nature of the what-if world, something not typical of straight "fanstasy." Maybe "pulp fantastical soft science fiction?"
  • However, I don't think it's a sci-fi book. Do you make an argument that it is, or do you just not care?
    Well, He's said before that he's going to review more fantasy and the like, and when he is, he'll say that it's the Speculative Fiction Book Review Podcast. He thought of that a while back, thought he doesn't always remember to say it(If I, in return, am remembering correctly), but fair enough, you get in the habit of saying it one way all the time.

I read about 30 science fiction novels per year, and maybe 5 or 6 fantasy novels. Enough listeners wanted reviews of them that I just do reviews of any science fiction or fantasy book now. It's true I said I'd say "Speculative Fiction" instead of "Science Fiction" but it's easier just to mention right at the start of the episode if it is fantasy, and if people don't care, they can just skip it.
  • House of Leaves. Nuff said.
  • House of Leaves.Nuff said.
    A hefty tome. It's unread on my shelf, but I'll get to it.

How about Neuromancer for book club?
  • I just recently picked my self up a copy of The Grand Design. Written by physicists Stephen Hawkings and Leonard Mlodinow it explains M-Theory and the origins of our universe. I think it will make a good book for the book club.
  • Tycho from Penny Arcade was strongly recommending a book in the news post today, and it's available free online: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/11/26/
    Recommendations from PA tend to be worthwhile 99% of the time, so maybe not a bad book club choice?
  • Read Gateway by Frederik Pohl.
  • Read Frac Frac: The Great Riviera Bank Robbery by Albert Spaggiari. It's about a Frenchman, former OAS, who stole ~40 million Francs, mostly because he was bored.