This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Liar Game

edited July 2010 in Manga/Comics
Nao Kanzaki is a relatively ordinary college student in Japan. Her mother has passed away some time ago and her father is in the hospital with terminal cancer. She wishes nothing but for her father's life to go out without any worries about her. The most defining character trait of hers is that she is honest to a fault and also quite naive. The example to make that point is that she brings even a trivial sum of money she found on the street to the next police station.

One day she receives a package with a card from an ominous "Liar Game Tournament". The card notifies her that she was entered into that tournament with a warning about the box in fine print which she promptly overlooks. She opens the package finding 100 million yen and another card. The second card informs her that now that she has opened the box, she can no longer withdraw from the game. It also explains the rules of it. The objective of the game is to somehow obtain the money given by the Liar Game company to the opponent. Whoever has more of the allotted money than the opponent when the game ends, wins. When the game ends the company will come collect the 100 million yen from the box originally received. If you won the game, you can keep the rest, the money you stole from your opponent. If you lost you are in debt for the money you lost to your opponent.

Kanzaki is later informed by another letter that her opponent is her former middle school teacher and that the game ends 30 days from that notice. Foolish as she is, she contacts him and they seem to come to an agreement that both would put the money they got for the Liar Game into a save deposit box. Kanzaki doesn't even think that her former teacher is tricking her until she gets notified by another card that she is currently losing the game by the full amount. She goes to the teachers house only to overhear him on the phone, bragging to the person on the other end how he got 100 million yen by screwing over a former student. Kanzaki now realizes that she is in deep trouble and attempts to hire a scam artist to help her out of this mess.

Liar Game is an interesting manga I've recently started reading. It is kind of like a detective fiction with several tricks and mysteries as in how to resolve the situation at hand. It also has a bit of drama and of course suspense in it. The art however is in my opinion a bit substandard. It very strongly reminded me of the art in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei when Kumeta is drawing non-main characters who only give a slight remark on the side. While in that case it is rather intentional for the sake of stylization and differentiation between certain kinds of characters, here it seems rather like showing the lack of experience by the artist. The faces only have very few lines and little depth to them and Shinobu Kaitani, the artist of Liar game, uses very little shading overall which makes the art look rather two dimensional. I've also seen a few strange perspective changes that didn't look quite right, e.g. two characters appearing to be standing face to face with each other in one panel, and being across the street from each other in the next with no indication of the characters having moved. This page shows both of my complaints. However, the art appears to improve later on.

Regardless, I think it's a very interesting series and I was wondering if anybody else was reading it. The series started in 2005, is still ongoing and not yet licensed in english (or german for that matter) and thus scanlations are unfortunately the only only option to read it at the moment for anybody not fluent in japanese. However, with the recent crackdown on scanlation aggregator sites, this isn't a safe bet either and never was. MangaFox still has it. The series was also adapted into two seasons of a drama series, though I haven't seen it.

Comments

• I was liking the idea, but the fact that a teacher gets her money with a simple trick right away I think removes some of the epicness of the suspense. After you have something like Death Note or 20th Century boys, you have to go large.

I would have made the liar game the same,except everyone playing the liar game in the whole world is your opponent. Then even if you team up with someone, a third person might come and screw you over.

Might make a good video game, like NES Spy vs. Spy.
  • edited July 2010
    Scott, the teacher isn't her only opponent. It appears to escalate later on but I'm only 18 chapters in so far. The word "tournament" on the original card seems to be key.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited July 2010
    Scott, the teacher isn't her only opponent. It appears to escalate later on but I'm only 18 chapters in so far. The word "tournament" on the original card seems to be key.
    Ahhh shit. #imighthavetoreadthis
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2010
    Here's a little tidbit I didn't realize at first: Shinobu Kaitani is also the author of One Outs. I didn't have the opportunity to read One Outs but I watched the TV series and quite enjoyed it. Now that I realized this fact the similarities are quite astounding to the point where I wonder how I didn't realize it from the material at hand. Probably the difference in scenarios obscured it to me. If you enjoyed the psychological battles in One Outs a la "He's obviously trying to do this but does he know I know he's trying to do it, and if he does, will he actually do it." you'll probably like Liar Game. Death not is also probably comparable to this, but of course from different authors.
  • I've been putting of reading Liar Game, like a lot of manga. But yeah, heard it's good and worth checking out.
  • edited August 2010
    Well, I'm delving headlong through the available chapters and it this manga is freaking amazing. In fact, the game is only "take the money from your opponent" in such a simple version for the very first round. Later rounds have vastly different rules and they are playing specialized games in each. There are even team games. And if you lose a round you still got the option to go into a so called Revival Round in which you can join the main tournament again if you win. Where I'm currently at they are playing a customized version of musical chairs over an entire small island and it turns into an epic battle of wits. Seriously people, read this!

Not sure if it's the original line, but someone later says "Not exactly Candyland this game..." which immediately reminded me of Rym and Scott.
  • The general phrase used with Liar Game is that it's "Death Note for Girls." Not true, it's more basic game theory with a conspiracy plot to keep it interesting. Each game changes for each level of the tournament, increasing in complexity as the manga goes on. Some games are cheesy, some amazing. The female protagonist is very naive and annoying but she gets better(takes about 80 chapters.)
  • The general phrase used with Liar Game is that it's "Death Note for Girls." Not true, it's more basic game theory with a conspiracy plot to keep it interesting. Each game changes for each level of the tournament, increasing in complexity as the manga goes on. Some games are cheesy, some amazing. The female protagonist is very naive and annoying but she gets better(takes about 80 chapters.)
    That's pretty stupid to call something Death Note for girls, since most of the Death Note fans I know are girls.
  • That's pretty stupid to call something Death Note for girls, since most of the Death Note fans I know are girls.
    They nerds calling it 'Death Note for girls' wouldn't know that though. They've never seen a girl do anything after all.
  • For some reason, the whole "changing games" concept reminds me of the very early chapters of Yu-gi-oh, though I'm sure each conflict resolves itself in vastly different ways.
  • The first chapters of Yu-Gi-Oh were ridiculous.

Then they added the card game and it was shit.
  • Randomly visited one of the few places in my area that actually sells manga. Liar Game is now being published in german. Sweet.
  • edited June 2013
    Oh man. Liar Game is absolutely my favorite manga of all time. I have caught up with the series, it gets so much better you wouldn't believe. It is much better Death Note and 20th CB, imo. Everyone should read it.
    Post edited by iruul on
  • I might need to scope this out. I really dug Death Note (at least the first half) and this sounds like something that would tickle my fancy.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm still stuck either at the end of or just after the chair game. Haven't been reading much manga lately, unfortunately, mostly been burning through short stuff in my downtime. I'll get back to it. I do like this series, though - even if sometimes it does sometimes turn into a giant 30 xanatos gambit pileup.
    Post edited by Churba on