This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ideas for keeping a pimped out computer busy in a meaningful way?

edited October 2010 in Everything Else
So I built a computer specifically designed to run GomezPeer in virtual machines. I had thought that they wouldn't mind virtual machines as it certainly didn't involve hacking their software. Turns out that they don't so much like that and they deactivated me. Now I've I've got an overclocked hexacore with 16GB of RAM sitting around doing nothing. Any ideas other than SETI & Folding at Home?

Comments

• So I built a computer specifically designed to run GomezPeer in virtual machines. I had thought that they wouldn't mind virtual machines as it certainly didn't involve hacking their software. Turns out that they don't so much like that and they deactivated me. Now I've I've got an overclocked hexacore with 16GB of RAM sitting around doing nothing. Any ideas other than SETI & Folding at Home?
    That's a pretty sad waste of a computer. Apparently I was exactly right when I said there was no use for such a stupid computer. How about you find a filmmaker on kickstarter and donate it to them? In the meantime, if you want SETI and/or Folding style uses, try BOINC.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
  • Ah, abuse from Scott, how I miss it. There are plenty of uses for it, but I already have machines doing those things. I'm looking for something novel. I have a machine I use for Photoshop and Vegas Pro for example & another one I use for gaming and many more throughout the house. I'm looking for something novel here and not (as stated in the original post) SETI or Folding. I have considered using it for video surveillance or just relegating it to a back up machine. If I can't figure it out, maybe I will donate it. I give away PCs all the time.
  • I'd say that film students could definitely get plenty of use out of something like that. If you could get it sitting on a decent connection, you could run servers on top of it.
  • Thaed, what sort of graphics card does it have?
  • GomezPeer
    I fail to see how one can make meaningful money with this. Looks like the max you can make with 1 computer per month is $5. I think I'll spend more in electricity running my computer at full speed for a month straight.
  • edited October 2010
    GomezPeer
    I fail to see how one can make meaningful money with this. Looks like the max you can make with 1 computer per month is $5. I think I'll spend more in electricity running my computer at full speed for a month straight.
    Oh George, I really went down the rabbit hole with virtual machines. This box runs on Ubuntu and using Virtualbox, can handle up to 58 instances of GomezPeer in 58 Xubuntu virtual machines. This box alone can max out their $45/mo. limit... except that despite not saying anything about it in their TOS, they don't like virtual machines. Still, I had a ton of fun building it and setting up 58 Xubuntu machines on 1 computer.

I could always use it to play with one of these:
    http://blog.makerbot.com/2010/09/25/announcing-makerbots-new-3d-printer-the-thing-o-matic/

As far as the graphics card is concerned, it's a $50 ATI something or another I got from Amazon. Good enough for Ubuntu's eyecandy, but not a gaming powerhouse.
    Post edited by Thaed on
  • http://blog.makerbot.com/2010/09/25/announcing-makerbots-new-3d-printer-the-thing-o-matic/
    The thingomatic is way awesome, but it doesn't really need that much CPU power backing it up.
  • I was actually going to suggest a CNC, 3d printer or something with MoCap.
  • The thingomatic is way awesome, but it doesn't really need that much CPU power backing it up.
    You should trade the computer to someone else in exchange for a thingomatic.
  • Oh George, I really went down the rabbit hole with virtual machines. This box runs on Ubuntu and using Virtualbox, can handle up to 58 instances of GomezPeer in 58 Xubuntu virtual machines. This box alone can max out their $45/mo. limit... except that despite not saying anything about it in their TOS, they don't like virtual machines. Still, I had a ton of fun building it and setting up 58 Xubuntu machines on 1 computer.
    Even at the max, you're talking about $540 a year. Hardly worth the effort IMO.

However, I really like the plan you had (even if it didn't work).
  • Even if something like this is useless, as Scott is quick to point out, you're doing it for fun and are learning about computer hardware and such in the process, and that's totally cool. I hope you find something to do with it.

Make it happen!
  • Make it happen!
    Oh my god yes!
  • The virus aquarium would be pretty cool. Also, that computer would be a good homebrew 3D Scanner base. Find someone who knows about that type of thing and start making some crazy accurate 40k bootlegs.
  • Ok, now we're talking!

Early on in the Gomez project, I remembered the xkcd strip you cited, Cramit and I toyed with the concept. I'll have to think about that some more.

I own a copy of Poser Pro and I've done some 3d rendering. This machine would make an awesome render box. Hmmm, I could create or scan 3d images and then print them on a Thing o' Matic! I think I know what I have to buy myself for Christmas this year.
  • I own a copy of Poser Pro and I've done some 3d rendering. This machine would make an awesome render box. Hmmm, I could create or scan 3d images and then print them on a Thing o' Matic! I think I know what I have to buy myself for Christmas this year.
    I foresee the making of awesome stuff in the future.
  • Thaed, I have enjoyed your innovations tremendously.
    Thank you for devoting your spare time to developing and sharing these projects.
    Keep it up!
  • edited October 2010
    Thaed, I have enjoyed your innovations tremendously.
    Thank you for devoting your spare time to developing and sharing these projects.
    Keep it up!
    I just listened to my first episode of Friday Night Party Line and loved it.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Sonic wants me to bring back FNPL and he would produce it. I forsee this happening if I can get the cast together again.

In other news, I may buy a farm so I can explore alternative energy and conduct Tesla-like experiments on a grand scale.
  • In other news, I may buy a farm so I can explore alternative energy and conduct Tesla-like experiments on a grand scale.
    Going to store your unused Porsche in your unused barn?
  • Make it happen!
    Oh my god yes!
    YES. Dedicate a wall or something to it with a big hdtv as the monitor and have a streaming video feed of the progress of the viruses. If you wanted it really intense you could program cgi fish or ants or something to do certain things as the viruses do different things.
  • I sold the Porsche last fall.
  • I sold the Porsche last fall.
    Good job!