This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Manga for the kid

2»

Comments

• Gravitation, perhaps?
    Probably not appropriate for an 11-year-old. It gets more sexual than her taste, and deals with rape themes at one point. Several issues also fall off a cliff before the story gets good again, so there are better series for her to spend her (or rather, The Tick's?) money on.

How about some classics? In regards to anime, I bet she'd like Escaflowne and Fushigi Yuugi. The latter is also a very pretty manga.
  • edited October 2010
    If we are going old school, I think she would get a kick out of the Ranma 1/2 mangas and anime.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited October 2010
    Some of my recommendations:
    - Ah! My Goddess. (One of my first anime) Very sweet romance and mostly innocent.
    - Alice Academy (TV) - Never seen it, but it seems like it is right in her demographic
    - Angelic Layer - Another Clamp show, so it might appeal to the CCS side of her. Totally age appropriate
    - Ojamajo Doremi - Might be a little kiddy, but super cute
    - Full moon o sagashite - Kind of sad. About a magical girl who's normal persona has cancer.
    - Futari wa Puricure
    - Princess Tutu
    - Aishiteru ze, Baby
    - Yumeiro Patissie
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • For some reason the list made me think Natsume's Book of Friends. It's entertaining and a good mix of serious and lightheartedness. Other than that I would suggest getting her to read Astrix & Obelix, or Tintin. Both aren't manga but are good comics, especially for children.
  • She might like Yakitate Japan, and I agree with gomidog with Angelic Layer and Princess Tutu.
  • She might like Yakitate Japan,
    Yakitate! Japan is great, but you should probably give her the anime instead of the manga. The manga has some ecchi and innuendos that were cut out for the show.