This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• Yes, but I'd like to buy the shit I want to buy and not get cocked in the face because Atlus suck at releasing games in Europe.
    You can't get cocked in the face. If nothing else, you get a flash cart and pirate that mofo.
  • For example, even people with flash carts will still buy Pokemon.
    As an aside, I did both. People I knew explained EV/IVs poorly, so I downloaded HeartGold and used the Pokemon Selector to mess around with stats to see how awesome my 'Bro'kemon would be if I trained them right, and what they felt like in battle. Also, Geodudes knowing Surf is hilarious to me, but I didn't want that on my legit copy.
  • For example, even people with flash carts will still buy Pokemon.
    Gotta have mah pokewalker.
  • Gotta have mah pokewalker.
    I have misplaced mine in the two moves I've made in the last two months. I hope it's just hiding in a box somewhere cause I want mah pokemans.

• Full trailer.

• [Level5gasm]
    I need that in my life.
  • Awesomess
    I can't even describe how much I'm looking forward to that. Even without knowing anything about gameplay it seems to have so many elements that I just want.

There is beautifully animated Professor Layton cut-scenes.
    There is beautifully animated Phoenix Wright (something I have been waiting to see).
    There is those two combined.

Seriously although I tend to talk about how gameplay is the most important element in games, in this case I don't even care. As long as there is mode where I can just watch the cut-scenes after clearing the game I will be happy.
  • Why the crap hasn't there been a Phoenix Wright anime yet? I mean... it seems like a serious no-brainer.

As for the game: while the animation in the trailer is very pretty, my brain is still wondering how these things could possibly go together.
  • As for the game: while the animation in the trailer is very pretty, my brain is still wondering how these things could possibly go together.
    Professor Layton game where part of the puzzles are impossible and when you face impossible puzzle you shout Objection! /crazy theory
  • Solve puzzles, get evidence. Get arrested for trying to bribe people with puzzle coins.
  • Trailer with subtitles.
    This has inspired me to seek out and play the Professor Layton games.
  • Nosebleed! I have been wanting to see Phoenix Wright animated for quite a while! This, while oddly clashing in its character designs and completely AU, is very, very hot.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't think they clash that much. I think it's something to do with all the other characters being a sort of half way point between the two; Not the abstract shapes of Layton but not super complex like the people from Phoenix.

Do you think they'll animate the cutscenes in 3D?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Do you think they'll animate the cutscenes in 3D?
    I kinda hope that they wouldn't. It might look nice when done correctly, but first ones to try will not be the ones who succeed. I hope that they do their 3D experimenting on the gameplay side of things.
  • edited October 2010
    You can't get cocked in the face. If nothing else, you get a flash cart and pirate that mofo.
    Why am I arguing this to you? You're American, you get every game handed to you on a godamned silver platter and as far as you can tell, everywhere is the golden land of getting every fucking game with a click of your fingers.

The point is, if I want to buy and play certain games that are not released in the UK because the publisher decides it's not worth it, then I should be able to do it based on my ability to do so with the DS and the DSi. I guarantee that if Nintendo region block the 3DS that their sales will be decimated (In the literal mathematical sense) because people want to play Shin Megami Tenesi, Etrian Odyssey, Super Robot Wars: Endless Frontier, etc and will probably flock to the PSP2 if that proves to not be region blocked now that the PSPGo has been noted even by Sony proved to be a total disaster.

I'm not arguing that there will not be a magical "3DR4" device that will fuck Nintendo's shit up like it did the DS, I'm arguing that some people still want to buy the games, if they do that after R4'ing the game then that's cool, I just don't want piracy to be the only option.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • On that note, I'm wondering if it will be the 3DS that sees the software hack this time around. The DSi didn't because it was so easy to adapt the old flashcarts to work with it.
  • I'd be willing to bet a stack of cash that there will be 3D effects in the cutscenes. Thinking back to one scene, where the camera does a swooping push through an archway, it just seems like it's built for 3D. Developers are going to want to show off what they can do with their new toy.
  • edited October 2010
    They could do 3D cut-scenes but it might just be having the background look flat but far away.

I would love for them to remake games like Donkey Kong country but put the background tiles in the distance.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Yeah that's what I was thinking. Not to render the actual characters in polygons but just establish some depth of field.
  • I'm also wondering how many PSP games are going to jump to the 3DS or get remakes.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2010
    I guarantee that if Nintendo region block the 3DS that their sales will be decimated (In the literal mathematical sense) because people want to play Shin Megami Tenesi, Etrian Odyssey, Super Robot Wars: Endless Frontier, etc and will probably flock to the PSP2 if that proves to not be region blocked now that the PSPGo has been noted even by Sony proved to be a total disaster.
    I agree that the non-US non-Japan gaming scene is a disaster, but I disagree that enough people will give a shit to impact sales.

The reason games don't get priority in the EU is because the market is too small (in the estimation of the gaming companies) to be worth pursuing. If they already don't care about the entire continent, they REALLY don't care about the tiny minority of people who care about region locking.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The reason games don't get priority in the EU is because the market is too small (in the estimation of the gaming companies) to be worth pursuing. If they already don't care about the entire continent, they REALLY don't care about the tiny minority of people who care about region locking.
    The thing is, PC gaming dominates Europe, so just ignore consoles. The main barrier to console gaming in Europe is that they have to adapt for both language and law of each individual country. And each country is pretty tiny compared to the effort and cost involved in creating a port.
  • Yea, Europe, just adapt English or Japanese as your official language and maybe you'll get the games faster.
  • edited October 2010
    I guarantee that if Nintendo region block the 3DS that their sales will be decimated (In the literal mathematical sense) because people want to play Shin Megami Tenesi, Etrian Odyssey, Super Robot Wars: Endless Frontier, etc and will probably flock to the PSP2 if that proves to not be region blocked now that the PSPGo has been noted even by Sony proved to be a total disaster.
    I agree that the non-US non-Japan gaming scene is a disaster, but I disagree that enough people will give a shit to impact sales.

The reason games don't get priority in the EU is because the market is too small (in the estimation of the gaming companies) to be worth pursuing. If they already don't care about the entire continent, they REALLY don't care about the tiny minority of people who care about region locking.
    That's all great and all but that ignores the fact that I am running towards Nintendo and/or their suppliers with money in my hand.

They are ignoring my wanting to give them money and as far as I stand, that's failure in business terms.

It's the same argument I've made before when Toei was selling all of Fist of the North Star and Digimon Zero Two on Crunchyroll but then decided to be dicks about it and make it US only. Here I come running at you with money. I want to buy your crap, don't be a dick to me because I am Scottish.

I could pirate Professor Layton and the Ace Attorney in the space of an hour if I so pleased, but that's not the point, I want to LEGALLY PURCHASE YOUR PRODUCT. Don't treat me like a pirate because of my Region or I will act to your expectations.
    Yea, Europe, just adapt English or Japanese as your official language and maybe you'll get the games faster.
    And where do you think you got that language, you scallywag?!
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Yea, Europe, just adapt English or Japanese as your official language and maybe you'll get the games faster.
    Doesn't matter. You're in our world now, bitch.
    Doesn't matter. You're in our world now, bitch.
    Come back when you remember the U in Colour.
  • Doesn't matter. You're in our world now, bitch.
    So you're encouraging piracy?
  • Come back when you remember the U in Colour.
    Sorry, we'll be too busy playing the new LaytonxPhoenix Wright crossover to remember such a thing.
  • They are ignoring my wanting to give them money and as far as I stand, that's failure in business terms.
    Hardly. The opportunity cost of the investment it would take to support your market is too great for the profit to be gleaned. If they could make enough money to make it worth doing with minimal risk, they would. The reason they don't is that there is moderate risk and high cost relative to the likely profit. Not selling to you is good business for them.
  • And yet, Steam manages fine.