This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• They are ignoring my wanting to give them money and as far as I stand, that's failure in business terms.
    Hardly. The opportunity cost of the investment it would take to support your market is too great for the profit to be gleaned. If they could make enough money to make it worth doing with minimal risk, they would. The reason they don't is that there is moderate risk and high cost relative to the likely profit.Notselling to you is good business for them.
    A missed dollar is forever lost. And I'd be buying their US Shit so that removes that issue.

Ergo, Penfold, Sush.
  • And yet, Steam manages fine.
    Apples and oranges. Steam doesn't have the problem of having copies that don't sell. There isn't any big cost of producing a bunch of games that have such a limited market. Steam just has to make it available in that area for download, and after licensing its all gravy.
  • And yet, Steam manages fine.
    Apples and oranges. Steam doesn't have the problem of having copies that don't sell. There isn't any big cost of producing a bunch of games that have such a limited market. Steam just has to make it available in that area for download, and after licensing its all gravy.
    Again, I'm asking to be able to play the US copy of a game I bought.
  • Apples and oranges.
    So you didn't get the point, I see.
  • Apples and oranges.
    So you didn't get the point, I see.
    He doesn't have to, he's American and his world view's the only one in existence.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2010
    He doesn't have to, he's American and his world view's the only one in existence.
    No, it's simply that the US is such a large market that entire industries can cater to it and it alone and make more profit than the rest of the world combined has to offer in certain segments. In console gaming, the US and Japan are enormous markets.

While I disagree with it, the reason they region lock is that they want to ensure that the higher costs of catering to smaller markets are covered. They don't want the English speaking EU denizens buying the cheaper US release, as them buying the more expensive EU release later offsets the cost of regionalizing games for the rest of the EU, nevermind distribution costs and regulatory compliance issues.

They also want to be able to sell games very cheaply in emerging markets. Without region locking, this isn't possible, as non-emerging markets will buy at emerging market prices, drastically undercutting them. See the situation in Japan, where people are re-importing US DVDs due to the fact that they're frighteningly cheaper than domestic releases of the same thing.

It sucks. I'm not saying it doesn't. But to claim that it's bad business sense to all but ignore the non-US and non-East Asian console gaming markets is silly. It's great business sense: it just produces a poor outcome for the minority console gamers outside of these regions.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Someone crosslink this to the "Must crush capitalism." thread.
  • I'll just place these here.
  • edited October 2010
    No, it's simply that the US is such a large market that entire industries can cater to it and it alone and make more profit than the rest of the world combined has to offer in certain segments. In console gaming, the US and Japan are enormous markets.

While I disagree with it, the reason they region lock is that they want to ensure that the higher costs of catering to smaller markets are covered. They don't want the English speaking EU denizens buying the cheaper US release, as them buying the more expensive EU release later offsets the cost of regionalizing games for the rest of the EU, nevermind distribution costs and regulatory compliance issues.

They also want to be able to sell games very cheaply in emerging markets. Without region locking, this isn't possible, as non-emerging markets will buy at emerging market prices, drastically undercutting them. See the situation in Japan, where people are re-importing US DVDs due to the fact that they're frighteningly cheaper than domestic releases of the same thing.

It sucks. I'm not saying it doesn't. But to claim that it's bad business sense to all but ignore the non-US and non-East Asian console gaming markets is silly. It's great business sense: it just produces a poor outcome for the minority console gamers outside of these regions.
    This is all augmented with the point being that I will not buy a 3DS if it's region blocked, thus nuking a sale.

Also, no sale of Megaten happens when region blocking happens, killing that sale.

Soon all sales are dead.

Capitalism didn't need anyone other than itself to crush capitalism.
    I'll just placethesehere.
    Oh how very american to think you can fix a problem by making the problem you.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Hey, I'm not the one stopping a sale because how dare the Scottish guy play Shin Megami Tensei with the cartridge he bought for the DS he also bought.
  • This is all augmented with the point being that I will not buy a 3DS if it's region blocked, thus nuking a sale.
    But getting that sale would cost them more money than the sale was worth. For every one they might not sell to someone like you, they'll still sell ten to people in the US and people in the EU who don't care or don't know.
  • edited October 2010
    This is all augmented with the point being that I will not buy a 3DS if it's region blocked, thus nuking a sale.
    But getting that sale would cost them more money than the sale was worth. For every one they might not sell to someone like you, they'll still sell ten to people in the US and people in the EU who don't care or don't know.
    Bullshit. I'd buy the games that get released over here and I'd buy the Shin Megami Tenseis, the Etrian Odyssies and other US released games that don't get a PAL release because I could based on a previous president that allowed me to buy import GB/GBC/GBA/DS games and play them without interference.

I didn't say I'd steal them, I'd buy them.

But if the 3DS is region locked, I will not buy it nor the PAL versions of those games.

I say it's plenty dangerous to fuck with me.
  • I am so Looking forward to that game. I think its going to be as good as the Detective Conan/ Lupin the III crossover movie.
  • I am so Looking forward to that game. I think its going to be as good as the Detective Conan/ Lupin the III crossover movie.
    Yes, that movie is awesome and it's a shame that Funimation has no incentive to get it based on the sales of Lupin III and Case Closed.
  • This is all augmented with the point being that I will not buy a 3DS if it's region blocked, thus nuking a sale.
    Bullshit. I'd buy the games that get released over here and I'd buy the Shin Megami Tenseis, the Etrian Odyssies and other US released games that don't get a PAL release because I could based on a previous president that allowed me to buy import GB/GBC/GBA/DS games and play them without interference.
    Since when have you alone represented the entire continent of Europe?
  • I say it's plenty dangerous to fuck with me.
    Hey, do you wear kilts and try to go flipping logs outside?
  • edited October 2010
    Since when did America suddenly hate money and Love communism?
    I say it's plenty dangerous to fuck with me.
    Hey, do you wear kilts and try to go flipping logs outside?
    No, we drink awesome drinks (of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic flavour) and punch assholes we don't like with our MANLY Scottish fists whilst wearing kilts and flipping logs.
  • Since when did America suddenly hate money and Love communism?
    Because they love money so much, they ignore small markets and work to maximize their profits from them.

The opportunity cost of courting your sales is greater than the likely benefit of doing so. They're doing the very capitalist thing of capitalizing on the least risk/greatest reward scenario. If there's a latent market ready to thrive in the EU, let some other company take the risk in fostering it and then move in when it's a sure thing.
  • Bullshit. I'd buy the games that get released over here and I'd buy the Shin Megami Tenseis, the Etrian Odyssies and other US released games that don't get a PAL release because I could based on a previous president that allowed me to buy import GB/GBC/GBA/DS games and play them without interference.
    Since when did America suddenly hate money and Love communism?
    This non-sequitor doesn't do anything to refute what I said.
  • I thought the 3DS is region locked ONLY on downloadable games and not cart games like the DSi, I could not find anything telling me either way online that was recent.
  • I thought the 3DS is region locked ONLY on downloadable games and not cart games like the DSi, I could not find anything telling me either way online that was recent.
    That's the way all of Nintendo's handhelds from the Game Boy to the DS worked, it would be weird if Nintendo just stopped doing it.
  • Since when did America suddenly hate money and Love communism?
    Because they love money so much, they ignore small markets and work to maximize their profits from them.

The opportunity cost of courting your sales is greater than the likely benefit of doing so. They're doing the very capitalist thing of capitalizing on the least risk/greatest reward scenario. If there's a latent market ready to thrive in the EU, let some other company take the risk in fostering it and then move in when it's a sure thing.
    So if I were to give geeknights a donation, you'd send it back because I'm European as my money is dirty foreigner money. OK, noted.
  • So if I were to give geeknights a donation, you'd send it back because I'm European as my money is dirty foreigner money. OK, noted.
    Do you really not understand the concept of "opportunity cost"?
  • So if I were to give geeknights a donation, you'd send it back because I'm European as my money is dirty foreigner money. OK, noted.
    Apparently he does not.

Conan, consider this. Suppose, due to regulation, I had to pay a duty to accept a donation from a foreign source. If that duty were greater than the donation, I would lose money in accepting the money.

The cost of addressing the European console gaming market first is higher than the likely returns.
    Apparently he does not.

Conan, consider this. Suppose, due to regulation, I had to pay a duty to accept a donation from a foreign source. If that duty were greater than the donation, I wouldlosemoney in accepting the money.

The cost of addressing the European console gaming market first is higher than the likely returns.
    And what part of "Import shop" do you guys not get?
  • And what part of "Import shop" do you guys not get?
    They represent a tiny market. It's not big enough to bother with supporting. Believe me, if there were actual money to be made, they'd jump on it.
  • edited October 2010
    And what part of "Import shop" do you guys not get?
    They represent a tiny market. It's not big enough to bother with supporting. Believe me, if there were actual money to be made, they'd jump on it.
    And yet it's worth bothering to block. In other words, leaving a sleeping dog to lie is more of a bother than twating it with a stick.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2010
    And yet it's worth bothering to block. In other words, leaving a sleeping dog to lie is more of a bother than twating it with a stick.
    No, blocking protects the high-value affluent large market from competition from emerging markets, and it preserves the blocked markets (mostly) for future exploitation.

I'm not saying it's right or good. I'm saying that, from their perspective, it's smart.
    Post edited by Rym on