This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I check the store every single day.

edited October 2010 in Everything Else

Edit: Oh, guess iframes don't work=P
Posted By: Shop.FrontRowCrew.comRym's E-Commerce Clock

It has been a total of...
567 Days, 09 Hours, 13 Minutes, 50 Seconds.

Since Rym said he would have GeekNights E-Commerce up and running.
.......And counting

(I by the way don't check the store every day=P But seriously, you should get it working soon.)

Comments

• Seriously? I know Rym's a big boy and can defend himself, but this sort of thing bewilders me every time I see it. I just don't see the need to publicly call people out on their shit when they're already giving you stuff for free, but fall short on other promises.
  • Well, I imagined he had forgotten, so I gave him a friendly reminder. That's all. I'm kind like that =3
    And won't the store earn them money anyway=P?
  • Can I ask a dumb question? Once the store is up and running what exactly is going to be sold there? I assume the normal flare and whatnot but have not seen a concrete list of things. However if you REALLY want to see a eCommerce site build from the ground up then The Awesome Store is something you want to peek into.
  • All you people bitching about the lack of store do not understand the complicated legal matters that Rym is wading through.
  • All you people bitching about the lack of store do not understand the complicated legal matters that Rym is wading through.
    I understand the legal matters I am still amazed that Rym is going through it all to ensure maximum legality and not scrapping the idea all together.
  • edited October 2010
    I understand the legal matters I am still amazed that Rym is going through it all to ensure maximum legality and not scrapping the idea all together.
    Well, it's obviously in demand, if this many people are complaining about it - so why not go through with it? A little extra cash in the kick at the end of the day is better than nothing.

And of course, there is the consideration that Thinkgeek started out as a store of relatively the same size, and without a podcast or anything attached to it to draw people in with anything but word of mouth, and now, a handful of years later, they pulled down 50 mil in profit - can't tell the future, and frankly, it might turn out to be a nice little cash cow.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Well, it's obviously in demand, if this many people are complaining about it - so why not go through with it? A little extra cash in the kick at the end of the day is better than nothing.
    How many people are honestly complaining about it? So far all I've really noticed is Geo and now Aria.

While I think it would be cool for them to have a store, so much QQing about it makes it annoying. Rym has stated many times he has to jump through so many hoops to get it going, but no matter what people aren't patient enough. If you want one so badly why don't you ask them to kindly bring one to the next convention they are going that you happen to be going to as well? If you can't go to that convention, well I guess you will have to wait. Sucks, but shit happens, life goes on.

I will gladly send my shirt to someone if it makes them shut the fuck up about it all.

(I'm not attacking anyone, but I'm annoyed already this morning and it's just retarded that people want even more out of people that are already giving them a quality product for free.)
  • edited October 2010
    If you find it annoying, don't read a thread titled "I check the store every single day."

Also, the people who provide a quality product for free are precisely the people to expect more out of, as they have already demonstrated a tendency for it. This is even more the case when they have themselves said this was something that was going to happen.

Personally, I'm indifferent about the store, but I've always hated the "don't bitch about it / expect more; it's free" attitude.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If you want stuff so badly, make it yourself. We're all Creative Commons up in here.
  • Seriously, Scott and I were reminding him about it off and on, but he has been seriously making an effort to get the store in for the last few months. New York State has commerce laws that are bullshit when it comes to hobbyist internet business. We have been working on this, but there is so much red tape! Seriously? We have T-shirts. We want to sell them to you. Tax laws make it difficult, doods.
  • And of course, there is the consideration that Thinkgeek started out as a store of relatively the same size, and without a podcast or anything attached to it to draw people in with anything but word of mouth, and now, a handful of years later, they pulled down 50 mil in profit - can't tell the future, and frankly, it might turn out to be a nice little cash cow.
    If the GeekNights store ever wanted to expand into the online sale of geekeries (i.e., Board Games, Books, Figures, video game related shit), I would be the first to line up to help manage that shit.
  • If the GeekNights store ever wanted to expand into the online sale of geekeries (i.e., Board Games, Books, Figures, video game related shit), I would be the first to line up to help manage that shit.
    If you want to start a geekery store, go right ahead and start one. Geek shop is not exactly a successful business plan nowadays.
  • You all don't have to be jerks about it, now. :P
  • If you want to start a geekery store, go right ahead and start one. Geek shop is not exactly a successful business plan nowadays.
    Hah, quite true. I was just spitballing on Churba's idea.

I'm planning on starting a Hackspace-type of seekrit project in whichever city I end up doing grad work in, so that will be what consumes most of my time. I'm not quite interested in selling shit. Well, except for books, but that's another story.