This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Non-Shit-Talk of Your Day

Comments

• I didn't finish one thing (book club), but I did finish another thing (one of the last steps before I can open the ecommerce).
  • Editing issues aside (now that they have been fixed), does anyone have anything (de)constructive to say about it?
  • Editing issues aside (now that they have been fixed), does anyone have anything (de)constructive to say about it?
    That be a solid list, but I do have some minor quibbles. There are much better Gundam shows you could have chosen than 00 and Wing (e.g. War in the Pocket). Having tried to rewatch it recently, Wing is only good through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. You should probably air the movie adaptations of MSG instead of the actual series. Other than that maybe the order you show them in since you could probably do a pretty cool 6 Degrees of Hayao Miyazaki (or whoever) thing if you did it right. Add Damekko Dobotsu up in there too.

Over how long of a period are you gonna air these?
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2010
    Editing issues aside (now that they have been fixed), does anyone have anything (de)constructive to say about it?
    That be a solid list, but I do have some minor quibbles. There are much better Gundam shows you could have chosen than 00 and Wing (e.g. War in the Pocket). Having tried to rewatch it recently, Wing is only good through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. You should probably air the movie adaptations of MSG instead of the actual series. Other than that maybe the order you show them in since you could probably do a pretty cool 6 Degrees of Hayao Miyazaki (or whoever) thing if you did it right. Add Damekko Dobotsu up in there too.

Over how long of a period are you gonna air these?
    Club Showings are divided into two types. On one day, I'm going to show a movie (occasionally with a 5 minute explanation to add context for things like Ghost in the Shell or Grave of the Fireflies). Another day, I'm going to show 4-5 episodes of a series as sort of a test run. If people like the show enough, they'll seek it out for themselves (either legally or illegally). I've yet to have the first meeting between club founders where we work all the details out and have a general idea of what will go down, but that's what I've got so far.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I wrote a script to check all of the things of the day for 404 errors and such. Only 121 out of 1337 had errors. Others still might be bad though. For example, Youtube might give us a 200 even though the video is removed or has had its audio removed. We are going to slowly try to fix as many of the 121 as we can.
  • I worked late and didn't do shit.
  • Well, I shat talked hard yesterday. I forgot I had physics homework and some Alg 2 to catch up on, so I forgot to work anymore on the script. I also spent most of my night helping someone with Geometry, so I'm kinda done doing productive things. Maybe I'll build a house in Minecraft, or finish up my Japan game in Civ V.
  • I spend time working on an ArmA 2 mod of mine.
  • I'm being featured on the front cover of a magazine for the first time, and was asked to send some a high quality photo. I'm not happy with any of the ones I have right now, as they are either quite old, or don't have much to do with juggling. So I'm working on a photo shoot at home. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to use mirrors. It's a fucking pain in the ass. Here's a test shot:

I really need to go out and buy some new lights. And make the mirrors stand up straight on their own. And iron my performing suit. Hopefully I'll get a good shot by the end of the evening.
  • edited October 2010
    My first post for MTV went up yesterday! It's not exactly god's gift to blogging, as I've written better stuff, but I think I squeezed some good content into the confines of a holiday-themed list post. http://geek-news.mtv.com/2010/10/27/the-creepiest-halloween-boo-ard-games/ (edit: no I did not come up with that corny title)

Aside from product reviews and news coverage, my next project for them is a post or series of posts to serve as an intro to serious board gaming.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Got my 'nets restored at the new house, damn near finished squaring away my room, set up my computer desk(in the wardrobe, no less, it's a nice little setup), did a dump run(as in, took stuff to the land fill, not any combination of running and...y'know), cooked up a rice pudding and some nice lamb cutlets, sent a message to Charles, mowed the lawn, and finished moving the last scraps of shite out of the old place, fed the Magpies(because I like them), drank two dark mojitos on the back deck while smoking my pipe as the sun went down, went back and fixed the gate at the old place, bought my golf clubs and bike to the new place from the Mansfield place, fueled up, oiled up, cleaned and cleaned out my Mighty van(Who is a mean old bitch, but I love it so).
  • Luke, it looks like you're showing a different facial expression in the left mirror. If this was on purpose, it's really cool, otherwise you might want to fix that. It's a really interesting shot, regardless.
  • Luke, it looks like you're showing a different facial expression in the left mirror. If this was on purpose, it's really cool, otherwise you might want to fix that. It's a really interesting shot, regardless.
    I don't know that it's on purpose, but it is pretty cool. Though, admittedly, I'd be cheeky and give your smile left side of your face(on both mirrors) a very slight nudge upward - but your mileage may vary.
  • To make it more dramatic, take two pictures with different facial expressions, and then use Photoshop.
  • To make it more dramatic, take two pictures with different facial expressions, and then use Photoshop.
    It would look better, but there's something a whole lot cooler about doing that without Photoshop. Sort of like Star Wars original trilogy's clever filming techniques vs prequels' CG.
  • Sort of like Star Wars original trilogy's clever filming techniques vs prequels' CG.
    I don't think it's cooler. I think it looks better because the CG wasn't quite there yet. The model-based effects looked more "realistic."
  • It would look better, but there's something a whole lot cooler about doing that without Photoshop. Sort of like Star Wars original trilogy's clever filming techniques vs prequels' CG.
    It's not the technique, it's the result. If you wanted to, you could use CG to make it look just like the models and miniatures used in the original Star Wars. Not doing so was an actual conscious decision. Just like you can use the most modern HD camera and post-processing software to film a movie that looks exactly like it was made in the '40s. There's no reason to actually use the old technique except for eduational purposes and to make hipsters want it more. Just like there's no reason to use a vinyl record other than to sell to hipsters.
  • I don't think it's cooler.

That's way cooler to me.
  • That's way cooler to me.
    It costs more money to do it that way, takes longer, and is much more difficult. What other reason should there be to do something the old fashioned way other than education and giving you the warm fuzzies when you think about it?

Personally I get more warm fuzzies about something done the modern way, it's much more impressive. Some guy built little models and pointed a camera at it. Pretty good. This other guy was able to create an insanely more detailed and flexible model using nothing but electrons, transistors, and magnets, how does that shit work?! Computers are much more impressive.
  • edited October 2010
    I prefer practical effects (in film) because, for the most part, they still look better. As pretty as Avatar is, it still looks painfully fake to me.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I prefer practical effects because, for the most part, they still look better. Avatar, as pretty as it is, looks painfully fake to me.
    Again, this is not due to the tools they used. It is a conscious decision by the artists. Think of an average movie that you have seen that isn't sci-fi or fully loaded with special effects. Something like a generic comedy or romance movie that has no fantasy or anything. If it's a modern movie, it's absolutely loaded with CG and Photoshopped effects all over the fucking place. The thing is, you don't notice any of it, because they choose to make it look like real life, and it does.
  • I prefer practical effects because, for the most part, they still look better. Avatar, as pretty as it is, looks painfully fake to me.
    We have reached the uncanny valley, and have not been able to get out of it.
  • edited October 2010
    Again, this is not due to the tools they used. It is a conscious decision by the artists. Think of an average movie that you have seen that isn't sci-fi or fully loaded with special effects. Something like a generic comedy or romance movie that has no fantasy or anything. If it's a modern movie, it's absolutely loaded with CG and Photoshopped effects all over the fucking place. The thing is, you don't notice any of it, because they choose to make it look like real life, and it does.
    Alright, now I think about it, you're right. I do find, though, that the best looking movies have roughly a 50/50 blend of practical and CG effects. Anything by Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson, or Guillermo Del Toro, really.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Alright, now I think about it, you're right. I do find, though, that the best looking movies have roughly a 50/50 blend of practical and CG effects. Anything by Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson, or Guillermo Del Toro, really.
    That's also because of time/money constraints. Take for example the huge battles in The LotR trilogy. If they had to have someone sit there and model all those different looking orcs in such great detail, it would have taken for fuck ever. Not that it couldn't be done, but it was actually faster and cheaper to get a few hundred guys and make costumes. Then take the footage of those armies and CG the hell out of them, mostly to increase the size of the army and such.
  • It costs more money to do it that way, takes longer, and is much more difficult. What other reason should there be to do something the old fashioned way other than education and giving you the warm fuzzies when you think about it?

Personally I get more warm fuzzies about something done the modern way, it's much more impressive. Some guy built little models and pointed a camera at it. Pretty good. This other guy was able to create an insanely more detailed and flexible model using nothing but electrons, transistors, and magnets, how does that shit work?! Computers are much more impressive.
    Someone is bitter about not getting into Special Effects School.
  • For the first time in what feels like ever, I've performed a full clothing audit. I know own nothing that does not fit and look good on me.
  • Then take the footage of those armies and CG the hell out of them, mostly to increase the size of the army and such.
    Actually, from what I saw of the making-of features, lots of shots that you think are men in costumes were actually fully CGI, as the Massive Engine (the Weta CGI machine) had much better results than expected. The key, it turned out, was to make everything dark, and have helmets covering all the faces in the foreground.

Luke, it looks like you're showing a different facial expression in the left mirror. If this was on purpose, it's really cool, otherwise you might want to fix that. It's a really interesting shot, regardless.
    It was done on purpose. All I did was smirk with the right side of my face, and make sure the left side was turned flat to the camera.

Also, I'm really happy with how the lighting turned out, even if the whole thing is a bit dark. On the left the background is light, and my smile is nice, while on the right the background is dark, and so is the smile.

I'll probably smirk a little bit less in the final photo though.

Sorted: lighting (mostly) and mirror positioning. Now I just need to get a hair cut, and take the final damn photo.
  • Just like there's no reason to use a vinyl record other than to sell to hipsters.
    DJ's use timecoded vinyls for creating a physical interface with DJ-ing software. And many DJ's use vinyl for live performances because it's easier to manipulate in real-time.
  • Sorted: lighting (mostly) and mirror positioning. Now I just need to get a hair cut, and take the final damn photo.
    I just noticed the whole light/dark motif which did not really catch my eye to begin with in the first picture.