This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Civ V Big Game - This Weekend?

RymRym
edited November 2010 in Forum Game
I'd like to start a weekly or bi-weekly Civ V game, with Sunday being the initial day.

Rather than starting ad-hoc and saving when we get bored, I'm thinking we should schedule the start and end time of the first session. The boundaries will probably make it much more likely that we'll continue the game. I also realized that once games get smaller (as players get eliminated), the few who remain can branch off and finish on their own fairly quickly.

So, I'm looking for a max of 8 people to nominally play the first session from 4:00pm EST to 7:00pm EST this Sunday, November 7th. We'll pick a date for the next three hour session after the first one is done.

Comments

• As much as I would love to, I think I'm going to have to pass. I have way too much on my plate currently.
  • Sundays work for me.
  • edited November 2010
    Finally I have my internet back after a day... that should be good depending on any last minute stuff going on.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Depending on the time, fuck yeah.
  • When I upgrade my computer, fuck yeah! I shall be on that shizzz.
  • I will very much be up for this in future; it's probably the main reason I bought the game.
    However, it has not finished shipping from the UK yet (that was the best way to get it for a decent price in Australia).
  • Been thinking about picking this up since I leave for about 10 days worth of work travel on the 8th and it'd be nice to have a new game while on the road. I have no prior civ experience but could get in some practice over the next few days. Noobs welcome?
  • Noobs welcome?
    If you're that much of a newb, it will be a very very short game.

Also, if people know you are a newb, they will just go after you if they find you because they know you are easy pickings.
  • Noobs welcome?
    If you're that much of a newb, it will be a very very short game.

Also, if people know you are a newb, they will just go after you if they find you because they know you are easy pickings.
    What level do you guys play at? In Civ 4 I would get around a score of around +45 000, is that good enough to play with "the big boys"?
  • What level do you guys play at? In Civ 4 I would get around a score of around +45 000, is that good enough to play with "the big boys"?
    The level only matters if there are AI players. Any difficulty higher than Prince, the AI cheats, so...
  • What level do you guys play at? In Civ 4 I would get around a score of around +45 000, is that good enough to play with "the big boys"?
    The level only matters if there are AI players. Any difficulty higher than Prince, the AI cheats, so...
    I kinda meant how well do you guys play, like how good are you all. Call it a poor choice of words.
  • edited November 2010
    I kinda meant how well do you guys play, like how good are you all. Call it a poor choice of words.
    We are as good as people who played the shit out of Civ IV. Though I've been ramping up the difficulty in Civ V (to make up for the A.I. being stupid tactically). I'm currently able to win Emperor games pretty easily.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I played the shit out of Sim Farm in 1993. I guess that doesn't count.
  • Sim Farm was almost as good as Sim Tower, but not as good as Sim Earth. Sim Earth was the shit.
  • Sim Farm was almost as good as Sim Tower, but not as good as Sim Earth. Sim Earth was the shit.
    Oh mans, Sim Tower was the greatest. Never played Earth or Farm, though.
  • Oh mans, Sim Tower was the greatest. Never played Earth or Farm, though.
    Sim Tower isn't really Sim Tower. It's a Japanese game called "The Tower" that was imported. There are lots of remakes of it in Japan, but not the US.
  • Oh mans, Sim Tower was the greatest. Never played Earth or Farm, though.
    Sim Tower isn't really Sim Tower. It's a Japanese game called "The Tower" that was imported. There are lots of remakes of it in Japan, but not the US.
    Explains the creepy ass terrorists. That picture still strikes fear to my very bones.
  • edited November 2010
    creepy ass terrorists.
    Option #3: Hire Golgo 13 to kill them.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • You couldn't make that shot!
  • You couldn't make that shot!
    To prove that he's guilty, you'd have to prove there's a monster amongst us with the skills of a god.
  • creepy ass-terrorists
    Fucking XKCD.
  • edited November 2010
    I remember Sim Tower. I played it at my friend's house in elementary school with a trackball mouse. Fuck those things.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2010
    I will very much be up for this in future; it's probably the main reason I bought the game.
    However, it has not finished shipping from the UK yet (that was the best way to get it for a decent price in Australia).
    It arrived, but since I haven't played it yet and have little experience with previous Civ games, I should probably stay out of playing with you guys.
    creepy ass-terrorists
    Fucking XKCD.
    How does it work?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I shall be about an hour late. If you want to do a game without me, go nuts. Otherwise, I should appear in about an hour.
  • I'll wait.
  • All right. I should be good to go in a short bit.
  • Anyone else game? ;^)
  • So is this happening again?
  • So is this happening again?
    Honestly? The simultaneous turn problem in combat is enough to dissuade me from any further large games until we have play-by-mail. This flaw is just too great.
  • Honestly? The simultaneous turn problem in combat is enough to dissuade me from any further large games until we have play-by-mail.
    This would happen in Civ IV and noone seemed to care but me. If you pre-setup your moves it's not a big deal.