This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nutrition, Health, & Fitness

edited November 2010 in Flamewars
TWINKIE DIET HELPS NUTRITION PROFESSOR LOOSE 27LBS!!!

I figured this would be a good starter for a discussions about Health and Fitness. The article deals with one guy who experimented on himself. That invalidates the scientific credibility of the study, but it still happened. He ate a bunch of crap supplemented with some vitamins and veggies and the dude lost weight by eating few calories. He also ate every 3 hours. That cranks up your metabolism. Regardless, we may need to reevaluate how we measure health.

Do we have misconceptions about what is health? Look at Micheal Phelps. The guy puts mayo on EVERYTHING and wins record Olympic Gold. What are the rest of us doing wrong?

Comments

• What are the rest of us doing wrong?
    Sitting in a chair all day.
  • edited November 2010
    This is just a short term study. Let's do this in the long term before we even think about revolutionizing our notions of health. Also, it's just one guy. Hardly a large sample.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • edited November 2010
    I don't really think this is all the surprising. Eating less calories than you burn will make you loose weight. So?
    Post edited by Andrew on
    Sitting in a chair all day.
    It also doesn't mean that Micheal Phelps doesn't have high cholesterol just because he won some gold medals. Same thing with this nutrition teachers. May have lost weight, but that doesn't make the diet healthy. I'm a prime example. I'm a relatively lean 175 lbs for my 6ft frame, but I have not good cholesterol and high blood pressure.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2010
    What are the rest of us doing wrong?
    I run miles almost every day, life weights, play DDR, bike, ski, hike, etc... I have practically zero cholesterol, blood pressure is 122/60, and have weighed 155lbs for the past few years without change.

So not everyone is doing something wrong. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • It also doesn't mean that Micheal Phelps doesn't have high cholesterol just because he won some gold medals. Same thing with this nutrition teachers. May have lost weight, but that doesn't make the diet healthy. I'm a prime example. I'm a relatively lean 175 lbs for my 6ft frame, but I have not good cholesterol and high blood pressure.
    Michael Phelps also burns several thousand calories per day swimming. Additionally, exercise has been shown to increase your levels of HDL and lower LDL levels, which is why you are recommended to work out to help your cholesterol. I doubt that Phelps has issues with high cholesterol with his training regiment.
  • The problem is that everyone has somewhat of a unique thing going on, and not everything will work for them. The amount of tea I drink in a day is measured in litres, I smoke like a demon, eat almost randomly, pretty much whenever I'm hungry, and I'm hungry a lot(but, I have an oddly good and balanced diet), I drink far too much, and generally thrash my body like it owes me money, yet apparently, at my last checkup, other than some old niggling injuries, like my fucked up knee, I'm the picture of nasty, foul-mouthed health.
    The only significant changes I've had over the past few years is that I gained more weight than I should have with My Ex fiance, because She was, as goes with some anorexics, a feeder, and I hardly had a moment of the day where I didn't have food in my mouth, and while I was in England, I went through a period where thanks to not eating and inactivity, I went from 95 kilos down to about 60-odd kilos - and being six foot four, that's not really terribly healthy. I looked like Christian bale in The Machinist, you could count my ribs through my leather jacket at 50 paces. I've only just now really fully recovered from that.
  • I have practically zero cholesterol
    No you don't. I don't doubt that your blood cholesterol level is less than 200 mg/dL, but near 0 blood cholesterol is nearly impossible and probably bad. Do you know your LDL/HDL levels? Those are critical too.

My blood cholesterol runs in the 140 mg/dL range, though it has fluctuated +/- 40 points over years. My LDL level is consistently around 108 - 112 mg/dL, which is pretty good. My triglycerides run from 125 - 130 mg/dL, which is pretty normal. Blood pressure is almost always 115/72.

Every doctor/PA/nurse I've ever seen is always amazed that despite the fact that I am technically morbidly obese (294 pounds), I have absolutely no adverse health consequences that are tied to weight.

Of course, I need to lose weight. That's a given. I find that the diet discipline is harder to maintain, and when that goes, so goes my motivation to go to the gym.

Basically, don't assume jack and shit about your health until you're getting comprehensive annual physicals at the very least.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2010
    No you don't. I don't doubt that your blood cholesterol level is less than 200 mg/dL, but near 0 blood cholesterol is nearly impossible and probably bad. Do you know your LDL/HDL levels? Those are critical too.
    My total blood cholesterol was 122 mg/dL (non-fasting test). HDL was 80, and LDL was 30 in the fasting test I had later. All I can really remember is that they said my LDL was basically nonexistent, and that this was awesome.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • All I can really remember is that they said my LDL was basically nonexistent, and that this was awesome.
    Yes, the less LDL the better. 30 LDL is ridiculously low, but as you've said, you're a runner.

You also can't base your readings on one test at one point. I've had 5 years of annual blood panels, and the values change pretty radically from year to year. My triglycerides were borderline (160-ish) one year and perfectly fine every other year. My cholesterol was near 190 one year and down at 122 the following year. These levels can fluctuate pretty radically, which is why it's important to have annual tests.

My tests are semi-fasting, in that I usually have coffee and toast in the morning before I get my blood drawn. It doesn't actually make a difference for the test that my testing facility does anyway, but I prefer not to dose myself with 600 - 700 calories an hour before I get my blood drawn.
  • edited November 2010
    What are the rest of us doing wrong?
    I run miles almost every day, life weights, play DDR, bike, ski, hike, etc... I have practically zero cholesterol, blood pressure is 122/60, and have weighed 155lbs for the past few years without change.

I must work to adopt a healthy lifestyle like yours. I'm 200-and-change pounds and I cannot- nay, WILL NOT- remain this way.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on

I must work to adopt a healthy lifestyle like yours. I'm 200-and-change pounds and I cannot- nay, WILL NOT- remain this way.
    Same, I really need to get some exercise. This low sodium diet thing I've been doing is totally not worth the effort. Also I did a little research on the low sodium diet and it lowers blood pressure like 5 points maybe, and that's 1500 mg-2400 mg a day.
  • I must work to adopt a healthy lifestyle like yours. I'm 200-and-change pounds and I cannot- nay, WILL NOT- remain this way.
    Same here, BUT I'm completly happy with my weight. @5'11'' 200lbs BMI says I'm overweight. I think that's B.S. I work out 3-5 times a week with about an hour of strength training and 30 minutes of cardio. I'm very physically fit just not fit in the same type of fit as Rym, and I really don't want to be.

Moral: Set your own fitness goals. Don't try for someone else's.

My lowest point was my first year of collage where I dropped down to about 155. Military school will do that, but I looked and felt like shit. I got back up to 180s and stayed there for the rest of college. After, I pugged up to around 225 before I started a regular workout routine, and I've been at it for the last 3 year or so.
  • He also ate every 3 hours. That cranks up your metabolism.
    This was the most significant thing for me when I lost some 25 lbs after getting out of college. I would even assert that anyone who is trying to lose weight and isn't doing this is just making it really hard on themselves.
  • Moral: Set your own fitness goals. Don't try for someone else's.
    QFT. Especially don't compare your progress to someone of the opposite sex.
  • edited November 2010
    Same here, BUT I'm completly happy with my weight. @5'11'' 200lbs BMI says I'm overweight. I think that's B.S. I work out 3-5 times a week with about an hour of strength training and 30 minutes of cardio. I'm very physically fit just not fit in the same type of fit as Rym, and I really don't want to be.
    You have a little chub on your tummy, but you seem pretty fit, I'll agree.
    QFT. Especially don't compare your progress to someone of the opposite sex.
    But it's so haaaaard to watch Rym be good at stuff and not be able to keep up. It makes me frustrated. Even if I train, I can't beat his times.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Even if I train, I can't beat his times.
    That happens. You have a maximum physical capacity for some things. Rym will never be a better swimmer than Michael Phelps or a faster biker than Lance Armstrong, for example. Those guys have physical capacities that the rest of us lack.

Find your physical capacity and try your best to maximize it.
    My lowest point was my first year of collage where I dropped down to about 155.
    I remember seeing you around that time. You did not look well.
  • I must work to adopt a healthy lifestyle like yours. I'm 200-and-change pounds and I cannot- nay, WILL NOT- remain this way.
    Lay the groundwork, and when I'm in LA, I'll help you out and train with you.
    Lay the groundwork, and when I'm in LA, I'll help you out and train with you.
    Workout tip #1: Don't do it alone. Get a freind to go with you, hire a trainner, join a class, talk to JOCKS!!! You would be suprise how much meat heads know about what they do. My brother dragged me to the gym kicking and screaming for months until I was comfortable enough to go alone. Now I'm there more then him.
    Find your physical capacity and try your best to maximize it.
    Work with your body. Not against it. Power lifters don't do run in the Iron Man. That being lie being said. You body is amazingly adaptive. It'll change just not overnight.
  • Even if I train, I can't beat his times.
    Your goal is not to beat his times. It's to be the best that Emily can be!
  • Work with your body. Not against it. Power lifters don't do run in the Iron Man. That being lie being said. Your body is amazingly adaptive. It'll change just not overnight.
    It was like that for me in high-school. I tried to play football but was a third string player. Then, the cross-country running coach recruited me and I went from running just a few miles at a time to running 20K distances in about two months.
    I was just more cut-out for running although sadly after concentrating on endurance for so long I can't sprint at all - and my jump height is negligible.
    Others might be more suited for heavy lifting. It's still a good idea to balance, though - I've let my upper body slip even though my lungs and legs are still in good shape. I'm glad I decided to go with the strengths of my body type, otherwise I'm not sure I would have ever seen improvement.
  • But it's so haaaaard to watch Rym be good at stuff and not be able to keep up. It makes me frustrated. Even if I train, I can't beat his times.
    You joke - I think - but that resentment has been a major relationship problem for me in the past.
    Workout tip #1: Don't do it alone.
    Srsly. Having a workout buddy helps immensely. Unless you're a competitive athlete or have some other similar source of extrinsic motivation, it's just about the only way to stay motivated and keep pushing on days when you're tired or down or otherwise just lack the intrinsic drive to push yourself.
  • edited November 2010
    You joke - I think - but that resentment has been a major relationship problem for me in the past.
    Mostly Joke. Also a little jealous of male physical capacity for athletics. I'm pretty good too, and if I trained as much as he does I would be even better.
    Sometimes, I worry that he looks down on me because I can't keep up. I don't want to be pitied by my work out buddy.
    edit: I got mad at him the other day, because he laughed when I was frustrated for failing a three-foot DDR song. I challenged him to a guitar battle in a year, because neither of us know how to play or have much prior experience.
  • I've lost about ten pounds over the past summer, but a much larger issue for me is raising my cardiovascular endurance to become competitive in Kendo. I'm starting to realize that I need to cross-train everyday to improve my fitness. Whatever weight changes that brings is mildly unimportant, although I would like to loose a few more pounds.
  • I got mad at him the other day, because he laughed when I was frustrated for failing a three-foot DDR song.
    Just remember, you're so much better than me it's hilarious.
  • edited November 2010
    I have an idea! Post your athletic goals for the next 6 months.
    Run 3 kilometers without walk-jogging.
    60 sit ups per day
    increase my upper arm strength with free-weights. More muscle on my arms.
    Easily do all 4 foot and below DDR songs
  • I got mad at him the other day, because he laughed when I was frustrated for failing a three-foot DDR song.
    Getting frustrated at all is a path to failure. Most of us were little kids throwing our NES controllers across the room at one point in our lives. But not until the anger was defeated did we actually increase skills. The problem nowadays I see is that many kids just abandon skill games and go to JRPG lala land. Thus, they never defeat that frustration and advance into the skill zone.
  • Sometimes, I worry that he looks down on me because I can't keep up. I don't want to be pitied by my work out buddy.
    If anybody looks down on you for working hard, fuck 'em. Rym doesn't seem like that kind of jerk to me.
  • Getting frustrated at all is a path to failure. Most of us were little kids throwing our NES controllers across the room at one point in our lives. But not until the anger was defeated did we actually increase skills. The problem nowadays I see is that many kids just abandon skill games and go to JRPG lala land. Thus, they never defeat that frustration and advance into the skill zone.
    It is hard not to get frustrated. I think the main point is "don't give up because of that frustration."
  • Rym doesn't seem like that kind of jerk to me.
    He's definitely a different kind of Jerk :-p

My goals for the next half a year.
    Get weight to 200. (must get rid of Halloween candy first :-p)
    Be able to run 13 to 20 miles.
    Gain a small amount of upper body strength while losing everything :-p