This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nutrition, Health, & Fitness

Comments

• My experience with this makes me want to create an MMOG based around calorie intake and expenditure since the same psychological effects are at work.
    Turning Dieting into an RPG Weight Watchers does that.

Workout goals:
    -Stay the course.
  • Workout goals:
    -Stay the course.
    And have fun doin' it, yo.
  • -Stay the course.
    So in 7 years you'll be slightly worse off than when you started?
  • Alright, I've decided! I'm going to start running today after work. At my new place I can do a nice half mile loop without having to cross any major roads.
  • Alright, I've decided! I'm going to start running today after work. At my new place I can do a nice half mile loop without having to cross any major roads.
    Nice! Drink plenty of water and sweat out the salt.
  • My goals for ASAP:
    -Wake up 30 minutes earlier so so have time to exercise in the mornings, when I'm motivated to do so.
    -Make at least 60% of my meals (at least 80% of my dinners) at home, so I can save money and eat better.

I used to lift weights in high school, and went to the gym at RIT fairly regularly, but I've been spending my time drinking coffee and getting stressed out instead of working towards being more healthy. Also, I feel like I should drink more (wine and whiskey, in particular). You know, for my health. ;-)
    Speaking of running this time of year, anyone on here in the NYC need a running pardner? It's good to have help getting out there during the winter. I either run morning 7am or evening 10pm, upper east side. About a 30min run.
  • I am eating a McDonald's combo meal. Later I will hit the elliptical machine at the gym and play some basketball.
  • edited November 2010
    Well that was a raging success, I managed a whole quarter mile before I got winded. :P

EDIT: and 10 push ups and sit ups...I'm done for the day...*passes out*
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Well that was a raging success, I managed a whole quarter mile before I got winded. :P

EDIT: and 10 push ups and sit ups...I'm done for the day...*passes out*
    Wow. You are out of shape! But seriously, good job. Start small.
  • Wow. You are out of shape!
    Yes, so out of shape. I don't quite understand, the walking, it does nothing!
  • Yes, so out of shape. I don't quite understand, the walking, it does nothing!
    Eh. Imagine how badly off you'd be if you didn't walk.
  • Has anyone ever done that "100 pushups" plan? I read about it a year ago, took the initial test and was able to do 26, but by week three it was telling me I should be able to do way more than my body could handle. Maybe I should dial it back and try to stretch out the progress, but I'd like to hear other people that had success with it or I'll stick to my regular workouts.
  • Has anyone ever done that "100 pushups" plan? I read about it a year ago, took the initial test and was able to do 26, but by week three it was telling me I should be able to do way more than my body could handle. Maybe I should dial it back and try to stretch out the progress, but I'd like to hear other people that had success with it or I'll stick to my regular workouts.
    Back when I was pushing weights heavy, I could do 60 consecutive in one go. But why do you want to do 100 in one go? Is it just to say you done it?

I used to lift 3 times a week, with 1 cardio day. Now i'm doing 3 cardio sessions, which is going good, but I want to do more. I'm just too busy, lazy.
    I did it a couple months ago, but was interrupted by vacation and never finished.

It worked well for me, though. I got most of the way through and my max went from something like 30 to more than 60. Keep in mind that repeating weeks if you need to is built into the plan. I was doing the 200 sit-ups plan too, and that was also working pretty well. I was doing twist situps, though, so it might've been a little different for me.

Along with those two (I didn't do the 200 squats program because I could already do 200 squats) I was keeping my girlfriend company on a Couch-to-5k. None of those things alone was a complete workout, but put 'em together - run, then do push-ups and sit-ups - and it's a pretty good basic fitness plan if you need a place to start.

It's going to depend a lot on your body. I work out a lot and my body's used to building muscle, and I saw pretty clear gains. My girlfriend used to run regularly and had been off of it for a while, so she saw a lot of improvement on the Couch-to-5k, and she made some good gains on the sit-ups, but she had a really, really hard time putting on any muscle and making progress on the pushups.

It'll work if you stick with it, though. The program's sound. You just need to keep good form and make sure you're actually maxing out every time you're supposed to max out.
  • Has anyone ever done that "100 pushups" plan?
    I did it. Hit 100. Stopped. Would probably have to do it again to get back to 100.
  • edited November 2010
    Goals are pointless without plans of action and follow through. As such, these are my health goals and efforts to achieve those goals:
    I) Wight loss and maintenance of said loss: I've already lost 30lbs, and I am still losing. I need to continue on my diet and follow the transition and maintenance phase once I've reached my goal weight.
    II) Be happier, more emotionally stable, and less stressed: Working toward changing my career combined with therapy sessions have already made somewhat of a difference. Once I am at the right point in my diet to up my workout routine even more, I want to join a class (dance, martial art, yoga, or pilates) that will provide a good outlet for stress relief.
    III) Get surgery on my ankles: I have an upcoming appointment with a surgeon. I will be able to hike and run without massive pain in the near future.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • My goals

1. Increase Silk Cut cigarette consumption to four packs a day.
    2. Only wake up in gutter in pool of own vomit after Chelsea or Arsenal victory.
    3. Reduce number of whole tubs of butter consumed to three per day.
    4. Increase wood alcohol content in personal hooch recipe.
    5. Stop hoarding hooch. Must drink hooch as soon as it's made because it doesn't store well.
    6. Reduce number of clove cigarettes consumed because they interfere with consumption of unfiltered Lucky Strikes.
    7. Stop using Natty Boh as chaser for Everclear. Use Milwaulkee's Best instead.
    8. Train dog to buy Everclear so I don't have to walk to store.
  • UseMilwaulkee's Bestinstead.
    If you're gonna go that far, you should go for Beast Ice.
  • My short-term fitness goals are to stop getting injured and/or sick so frequently that I actually manage to string two judo classes together for the first time in about three months.
  • 1. IncreaseSilk Cutcigarette consumption to four packs a day.
    2. Only wake up in gutter in pool of own vomit after Chelsea or Arsenal victory.
    I've solved the mystery - Joe is actually John Constantine.
  • Mental note: Working legs before getting on the arc trainer is a horrible idea.
  • Mental note: Working legs before getting on the arc trainer is a horrible idea.
    As is overusing the arc trainer...
  • Has anyone ever run a marathon, I am training for nex year. Supposely I should be able to run those 27 miles by December, right now I can run 18 miles. I am following the nike+ schedule. I was looking for some advice on how to better my time and built my stamina. :P
  • Has anyone ever run a marathon, I am training for nex year. Supposely I should be able to run those 27 miles by December, right now I can run 18 miles. I am following the nike+ schedule. I was looking for some advice on how to better my time and built my stamina. :P
    I am a fan of this guys schedules (I used his half-marathon schedule to great success)
  • What's weird is I always see these seemingly completely untrained people running, and finishing, the marathon. Old people, Chilean miners, politicians, celebrities, etc. Are they just doing it by going very slowly?
  • Chilean miners
    Well, the miner trained. He kept himself sane by running in the tunnels.
  • What's weird is I always see these seemingly completely untrained people running, and finishing, the marathon. Old people, Chilean miners, politicians, celebrities, etc. Are they just doing it by going very slowly?
    Eddie Izzard will outrun you.
    Wrong forum!
  • It is too cold outside :O
    I am seriously thinking on just getting used to this cold weather once again and just keep running 5 miles at least 5 days a week or 25 miles a week. I think this will help me lower my time and it won't be as time consuming. I mean running is suppose to be fun an not a chore, right?