This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Internet until proven Guilty!

edited April 2010 in News
So you all must of seen the shitstorm on Boing Boing but I felt that it would be cool to talk about it here. MP's passed the Digital Economy Bill which will control
viaThe Guardian
The functions of the Ofcom.
The online infringement of copyright, including copyright and performers’ rights and about penalties for infringement.
Internet domain registries.
The functions of the Channel Four Television Corporation.
The regulation of television and radio services.
The regulation of the use of the electromagnetic spectrum.
The Video Recordings Act 1984.
Public lending right in relation to electronic publications.
The bill proposes adding a clause to the Communications Act 2003 with the effect that internet service providers could be forced to disclose details of their customers who repeatedly infringe copyright, on production of sufficient evidence, to copyright groups or face a fine of £250,000 for non-compliance.
ISPs to be required to block access to sites that allow "substantial" infringement.
Also in theory, wikileaks will now be blocked in the UK as all they do is published leaked or "copyrighted" material. It also contains the infamous, "accusations and you are out" rule, hence the title of the topic

My MP for Islington North, Jeremy Corbyn is as normal, defying the Labour whip, but most of the Labour and Conservative parties MP's voted for this, with the only real opposition coming from the Liberals and the left wing of Labour. Well gee guys, that was a lot of HTMLing, so just talk!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Better title: "Guilty until proven internet."
    Edit: "Internet until proven guilty", I meant.

With this and ACTA coming online, it'll be nice to see what actually happens when you put the cat among the pigeons.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Well one good thing about this debate is that I have found one of the coolest websites ever in the world. it lets you track whenever a MP speak in parliament, what they vote for, when they speak and even how much alliteration they use. Just wow.
  • edited April 2010
    Governments might think this is smart now, but if history proves anything at all, it's that a decentralized group of hazardous ne'er-do-wells will always be able to game the attempts of a centralized, organized body of lawmakers to impinge upon their freedoms.

Where ACTA goes, all the hounds of hell will follow.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Dude, this country essentially banned public photography. I'm hardly surprised.
  • We have room over here, you just have to tolerate our somewhat dodgy health care system.
  • If ACTA comes, I'm going to the motherland.

Bogota, it's you and me.
  • edited November 2010
    Yesterday, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act.

Time to panic?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I think we need a new technological work-around until the legal stuff is sorted out.
  • I think we need a new technological work-around until the legal stuff is sorted out.
    Isn't that what will probably happen? If they start shutting down torrent sites, won't some clever person figure out a new way to file-share?
  • Time to panic?
    I'm going to wait to panic until the government actually starts shutting stuff down.

Everyone on the internet seems to be claiming this act is unconstitutional. Not really sure about that, though.
  • edited November 2010
    Yesterday, the Senate Judiciary Committe passed theCombating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act.

Time to panic?
    No, it got shot down. We have to fight to shoot it down again next session when it returns from its temporary grave.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2010
    Yesterday, the Senate Judiciary Committe passed theCombating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act.

Time to panic?
    No, it got shot down.
    When? The Senate Judiciary Committee passed it through yesterday. It'll come before the full Senate after they get back from Christmas.
  • Yesterday, the Senate Judiciary Committe passed theCombating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act.

Time to panic?
    No, it got shot down.
    When? The Senate Judiciary Committe passed it through yesterday. It'll come before the full Senate after they get back from Christmas.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/oregon-senator-vows-block-internet-censorship-bill/

These are the people that told me http://demandprogress.org/
  • edited November 2010

Time to panic?
    No, it got shot down.
    When? The Senate Judiciary Committee passed it through yesterday. It'll come before the full Senate after they get back from Christmas.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/11/oregon-senator-vows-block-internet-censorship-bill/
    I wish I could be as optimistic as you are about this. You said
    Yesterday, the Senate Judiciary Committee passed theCombating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act.

Time to panic?
    No, it got shot down. We have to fight to shoot it down again next session when it returns from its temporary grave.
    It actually didn't get shot down. Your article says that
    It's too early to say for sure, but Oregon Senator Ron Wyden could very well go down in the history books as the man who saved the Internet.

A bill that critics say would have given the government power to censor the Internet will not pass this year thanks to the Oregon Democrat, who announced his opposition during a recent committee hearing.
    See? It's too early to say, and it's just one guy who's announced his opposition. The bill won't pass this year, but, if you think about it, not much of anything is going to pass this year due to the holidays. After Christmas, this bill will, unfortunately, be back as strong as ever.

And this guy? Here's a translation of "announced his opposition" right before Christmas to a bill heavily sponsored by heavy hitter corporations for those of you who don't work inside the beltway: "Disney? I could use a little extra Christmas money right about now."

Don't get me wrong. I don't want this to pass either, but it's hardly been shot down, and it's hardly in a temporary grave.