This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Personal Con Advice

edited November 2010 in Everything Else
Probably my only chance to go to a con before (maybe even during) college will be Anime Boston 2011 or 2012. I'm 16 and a junior in high school, and I won't be able to stay at a hotel due to budget/parents. My plan is to go with a friend and take a train to and from the con everyday. Is this plan at all feasible, or should I not bother? If there's a chance it will work, what do you recommend so it won't be a horrible experience?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• My plan is to go with a friend and take a train to and from the con everyday. Is this plan at all feasible, or should I not bother?
    That depends, if by train you mean jump on the T, sure. If you mean amtrak from 100 miles away, maybe not so great.
  • edited December 2010
    My plan is to go with a friend and take a train to and from the con everyday. Is this plan at all feasible, or should I not bother?
    That depends, if by train you mean jump on the T, sure. If you mean amtrak from 100 miles away, maybe not so great.
    I'm about 20 to 30 miles way. My brother went several years ago via train, so I know it's possible, but he went alone and for only one day, while I'd rather get the
    "full con experience."
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Keeping asking friends if anyone else is interested in going as well. Someone may have a relative in Boston you could stay with, or someone's parent maybe willing to "chaperon" and stay with you in the hotel at the con.

Alternatively: GET A JOB!!!
  • edited November 2010
    Probably my only chance to go to a con before (maybe even during) college will be Anime Boston 2011 or 2012. I'm 16 and a junior in high school, and I won't be able to stay at a hotel due to budget/parents. My plan is to go with a friend and take a train to and from the con everyday. Is this plan at all feasible, or should I not bother? If there's a chance it will work, what do you recommend so it won't be a horrible experience?

Thanks in advance.
    Do you live in south-eastern MA? I've done the train thing, and from Mansfield/Foxboro/Attleboro, it's not too bad. You do miss some of the later night and earlier morning things, though.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I know some people who are into anime, but they are only casual fans and more of acquaintances than friends, so I'm not sure if they would want to go to a con, but it's definitely worth a shot.

Getting a job is also an option, but I do a bunch of extracurriculars, so it might not be feasible.
  • I'm about 20 to 30 miles way. My brother went several years ago via train, so I know it's possible, but he went alone and for only one day, while I'd rather get the
    full con experience."
    You are 16, why don't you have a car to drive or at least a friend with a car to drive?
  • edited November 2010
    I'm about 20 to 30 miles way. My brother went several years ago via train, so I know it's possible, but he went alone and for only one day, while I'd rather get the
    full con experience."
    You are 16, why don't you have a car to drive or at least a friend with a car to drive?
    I don't have a license yet, and if I did, I wouldn't be able to take either of my parents cars all day and there's nowhere for me to keep a car of my own.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • If you really have to take a long train ride, I would suggest going just on Saturday. Take the earliest possible train in and the latest possible train out. Going for all three days is a pain going back and forth.
  • If you really have to take a long train ride, I would suggest going just on Saturday. Take the earliest possible train in and the latest possible train out. Going for all three days is a pain going back and forth.
    That's probably what I'll do. What type of events do you recommend going to with limited time?
    That's probably what I'll do. What type of events do you recommend going to with limited time?
    Depends on the schedule. You want to go to the dealer's room once and the artist's alley once. Go to any panels that are really up your alley or run by people you want to see. Go to the concert(s) if they're good. Depends on what you are into. Some people will wait in line for the masquerade forever. Other people will go to hentai panels all night, which you can't do because they are 18+.
  • Artist's Alley is a definite, I'll probably run through the dealer's room quickly, and see what panels are running. Thanks for the advice!
  • Screw Anime Boston, go to PAX East. Just saying. :P
  • What should I bring if I'm only going for a day?
    Money and whatever you need to get your badge.
    Money and whatever you need to get your badge.
    Is there that's not necessary but nice to have? Also, does anyone know what to expect for the line for a one-day pass? (approximately)
  • Is there that's not necessary but nice to have?
    Anything you bring with you, you have to carry around all day. You'll have to carry it back to the train station late at night as well, and that sucks ass. It will be so much more comfortable carrying nothing. The only kind of thing that might be useful is a DS or a copy of Bananagrams or a deck of Magic cards or something along those lines, but you still have to carry it. If you buy something in the dealer's room, buy it at the last second, if possible, because you'll be carrying that around all day as well.

As for the line, I have no idea as I never wait in it, I just look at it to see if it is short/long/out of control. IIRC Anime Boston had longer lines that I would have liked, but not bad at all compared to the history of lines at anime conventions. My line standards are high (any line is too much line).
  • As someone who has stood in the Otakon line, believe me when I say bring something to do. I actually didn't have it too bad, only had to wait an hour or so, but the Friday line is fucking horrible. Bring a book, game boy, or something, or even start role playing while in line just to keep yourself entertained.
  • Eat and drink plenty. You'll need your energy.
  • Wear comfortable shoes. If you usually rock the Chuck Tailors or Vans, don't. Support your arches.
  • Wrong kind of Con. I am of no use to you here.
    Yeah, I thought you were asking for advice on how to pull a short grift.
  • Bring a freaking backpack. You'll need it to carry food, drink, and any swag.
    Yeah, I thought you were asking for advice on how to pull a short grift.
    This is exactly what I was expecting.

Otherwise, the above advice is all good. I encourage you to go and experience a con, and seeing one day should be more than enough to get you familiar with the con scene at age 16. Once you are older and have a bit more cash and freedom, you'll know excatly what you want to do with it. Just think of these years as prep for the big fun.