This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Heelies or DS?

edited April 2007 in Suggestions
I'm gonna have some spare monies, and I'm trying to decide whether to buy a pair of Heelies or a Nintendo DS Lite.

Heelies would be cheaper and I had thought that I would wear them all the time, making them more useful, but I didn't realize until doing some reading today that the kids I see zipping around on their Heelies have to walk on the balls of their feet and their toes when they're not rolling. Is this true? If it is, it really diminishes the appeal of Heelies to me.

Comments

• I didn't realize until doing some reading today that the kids I see zipping around on their Heelies have to walk on the balls of their feet and their toes when they're not rolling. Is this true? If it is, it really diminishes the appeal of Heelies to me.
    Yes, this is true. DS ftw. Come on man, don't cha want to catch them all?
  • I thought I'd rather zoom around town on Heelies, but if I have to walk on my toes, I guess I'll be getting the DS.
  • edited April 2007
    I used to have Heelies. They were really fun, but you have to adjust your walking habits so that you don't step heel-to-toe. They also require a lot of practice to use effectively and stopping is hard, especially if you are on any kind of slope.

You don't necessarily have to walk on your toes, you have to walk Frankenstein's Monster style. Lift foot up all the way, put foot back down flat. Also, if you get a pair, get a model with grind plates on the arch so you can slide down curbs.

No offense, Joe, but it's going to be hard for an adult to get used to them or learn to ride them. In my opinion, they were harder to use than a skateboard. So if you can't skateboard, you might as well go for the DS.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Do they even make them for adults? Are you going to heelie around your practice?
  • Do they even make them for adults?
    Yeah, they come in adult sizes. I haven't exactly made a study of kids zipping around on them, but it looks pretty easy.
    No offense, Joe, but it's going to be hard for an adult to get used to them or learn to ride them. In my opinion, they were harder to use than a skateboard. So if you can't skateboard, you might as well go for the DS.
    If it's not easy, and one must learn them like skates, they lose a lot of their potential appeal. As in most. Especially if they're hard to stop. I was hoping to just be able to put them on and go. I also didn't realize I would have to alter my gait (which is already pretty clumsy). I kinda thought that the wheels might be spring loaded or something and they would be forced back up into the heel as one trod on one's heel.
    Are you going to heelie around your practice?
    I was mainly gonna rely on them for laziness. I especially thought they would be cool for gliding down the incline towards my car in the parking structure.
  • Try this. Stand with your feet flat in what you would consider the "Heelies stance". Then try to balance on your heels for as long as you can.
  • Buy a DS, you will get bored with shoes with wheels very quicikley unless you are 12.
  • edited April 2007
    I had a pair when they first came out YEAR'S ago, as in almost a decade or so. They had removable wheels that were replaceable. The wheel, bearings, and axle were all one assembly. Also, I had a pair of the grinding shoes when they first came out, and I about killed myself on them...
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • DS all the way
  • I thought I'd rather zoom around town on Heelies, but if I have to walk on my toes, I guess I'll be getting the DS.

Hungry mate, talking from experience, Wheelies are pure, unadulterated Fail. They're hard to use, Make your calves ache something savage after about five minutes, you get equally sick of walking on your toes.
  • What is wrong with you? DS all the way! You can't play Pokemon, Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, or any other number of good games on Heelies.

Heelies are a fad that will pass. The DS will still be selling when Heelies lose their appeal.
  • Heelies? What are you, seven?
  • Joe, get the DS. then we can battle our Pokemons!!!
  • There wasn't any real competition. I'm sure I'll get the DS. EXCEPT - Should I get Guitar Heroes II and the controller for my PS2?
  • There wasn't any real competition. I'm sure I'll get the DS. EXCEPT - Should I get Guitar Heroes II and the controller for my PS2?
    Yes, both.
  • Instead of heelies, just get a pair of rollerblades. You can travel much faster more safely. There's also the added bonus that increased engineering technology coupled with a sharp decline in interest has made even professional-class blades pretty damn cheap.

If it weren't for the stupidly steep hill I traverse every morning in Greystone, I'd carry blades on the train every morning.
  • No, get the controller only for more authentic air guitar action!
  • Instead of heelies, just get a pair of rollerblades.
    If I were going to get blades, I'd get these.
  • edited May 2007
    Heya Rym, Scott, we just had a Dick's Sporting Goods open up in Dothan, which is about 35 minutes from here.

What brand of Rollerblades would you recommend??? I haven't bladed in about 10 years or so, so I imagine things have changed. I won't be playing hockey or speed skating or doing tricks of any sort. Also, I'm looking at spending about $75 to $100 on them, would be more, but I'm buying a new pair for my girlfriend as well, so the budget gets cut in half for mine.

Here's a link to what Dick's carries:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=701922&cp=701917

I wear either a 12 or a 13, so here are the 12's:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/search/index.jsp?categoryId=701922&cp=701917&f=SizeGeneral%2FSQ000000160QS12+Medium&fbc=1&fbn=null%7C12+Medium

And the 13's:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/search/index.jsp?categoryId=701922&cp=701917&f=SizeGeneral%2FSQ000000170QS13+Medium&fbc=1&fbn=null%7C13+Medium

REALLY hoping I can get into a 12, or I'm pretty screwed when it comes to selection...

Considering these:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2506398&cp=701917.701922&cp=701917&fbn=null%7C12+Medium&f=SizeGeneral%2FSQ000000160QS12+Medium&fbc=1&categoryId=701922&parentPage=search&searchId=20820108501
    Post edited by WallyBman on
    Battle of the Ages: RepubliMon vs. DemocraMon!
    Battle of the Ages: RepubliMon vs. DemocraMon!
    DemocraMon uses BarackAttack. It's super effective!
  • DemocraMon uses BarackAttack. It's super effective!
    RepubilMon uses Vote Alteration! It regained full health!
  • That DS lite has saved my ass more times than I imagine. It's saved me from boredom induced suicide like 19 times. Totally worth it.
  • Just remembered what I did with my Heelies. Went out to the garage and dug them out and cleaned them up. Went over the wheels with sandpaper lightly. Started at like 80 grit, and worked my way up to 600, so they are nice and smooth and all again. So now I have BOTH the DS Lite AND the Heelies.

Being a pack-rat FTW!!!

But I still want to go get some new blades. Probably will be end of next week since that is payday.

Its gonna be funny tonight, since I'll be fucking with the Heelies at work tonight on the flight line.
  • edited May 2007
    Wild LibertaraMon fled!
    Post edited by Sail on
  • DemocraMon uses BarackAttack. It's super effective!
    Guys. That exchange + arts could totally work an a Geeknights shirt.