This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Opera?

edited May 2007 in Suggestions
Yes, damn it, opera. The music genre! Not that stupid browser. I'm sure many of you haven't listened to much opera, so I made a small collection of some of the best songs in opera. Also, if you haven't heard of East Village Opera Company, I highly suggest that you check them out.

Comments

• My history teacher plays us opera, mostly stuff by Richard Wagner. It's ok, I kinda like it, but I'm not into it enough to buy and seek it out and make time to listen to it. I like "The Ring"(Der Ring des Nibelungen) and "Tristan and Isolde"(Tristan und Isolde).
  • edited May 2007
    If you ever get a chance, try to get a spot as a supernumerary in an opera. Most companies have a need, and all you have to do is call and ask if they could use you. I was a supernumerary in productions of Rigoletto and Carmen. You don't have to work very hard, and you get to hear the opera performed many times for free. Often, the principals are singing while they're standing right next to you. That can be really exciting.

Don Giovanni is very good, but I'd have to say that Tosca and Madame Butterfly are my favorites. I know some may turn up their nose at Puccini and say he's not very serious, but I really like those two. I guess my next favorites would be Rigoletto, Fidelio and Susannah.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on