This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hypothetical Adaptations

edited May 2011 in Forum Game
If your favorite geeky thing (video game, horror or science fiction short story, anime, manga, or comic) was adapted into a movie directed by your favorite movie director with your favorite musical artist providing the soundtrack, what would be wrought upon this earth?

Ex. Lars Von Trier's Phoenix with a soundtrack by Katie Perry

These proposals should be plausible, therefore the following things must be set as rules:
1) Favorite geeky thing must not already be adapted into a mainstream Western movie. (Yeah, I know it's ethnocentric, but seriously, once there's a mainstream Western movie made of something, that is the definitive version in many peoples minds.)
2) Favorite movie director must be currently working.
3) Favorite musician must have released a non-compilation album since 2001. (Therefore, Pink Floyd will not be in my adaptation.)

Here's mine:

Francis Ford Coppola's Mobile Police Patlabor with a soundtrack by Broken Social Scene

Comments

• Lars Von Trier's Phoenix
    oh cool that sounds like it could really be pretty interes--
    with a soundtrack by Katie Perry
    ._.
  • edited May 2011
    The Coen Brothers' Transmetropolitan, with a soundtrack by TMBG and The Black Keys.

I'd see it five times.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited May 2011
    Holy shit, did you guys know that the wheels are currently turning for an Ender's Game movie? I was going to use that, but I guess I can't now.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Holy shit, did you guys know that the wheels are currently turning for an Ender's Game movie? I was going to use that, but I guess I can't now.
    Those wheels have been spinning for a long time. We still don't know if anything is going to come out of it.
  • Holy shit, did you guys know that the wheels are currently turning for an Ender's Game movie? I was going to use that, but I guess I can't now.
    Those wheels have been spinning for a long time. We still don't know if anything is going to come out of it.
    According to the Wikipedias, a studio officially picked it up last week and have named both a director and producers.
    According to the Wikipedias, a studio officially picked it up last week and have named both a director and producers.
    I stand corrected.
  • Martin Scorsese presents: Golgo 13. Soundtrack by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
  • I feel Quentin Tarentino could do good work with anime adaptations.
  • edited May 2011
    Quentin Tarantino's Black Lagoon, with soundtrack by whomever Tarantino chooses because he wouldn't let me dictate that.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Jim Jarmusch's Use of Weapons, with a score by Ennio Morricone.
  • Quentin Tarantino's Black Lagoon, with soundtrack by whomever Tarantino chooses because he wouldn't let me dictate that.
    My wife and I have a theory that Tarantino is incapable of making a movie with a bad soundtrack.
  • Quentin Tarantino's Black Lagoon, with soundtrack by whomever Tarantino chooses because he wouldn't let me dictate that.
    So want.
  • Lars Von Trier's Phoenix
    oh cool that sounds like it could really be pretty interes--with a soundtrack by Katie Perry
    ._.Chosen for the lulz.
  • Christopher Nolan's Ghost in the Shell with effects by Weta and soundtrack by Devin Townsend
  • Guillermo Del Toro's Deltron 3030 with a soundtrack by Dan the Automator.
  • Ridley Scott's Snow Crash, soundtrack by Daft Punk.
  • A robot wang.
    EDIT: Oh, wrong kind of adaptation.
  • Guillermo Del Toro's Deltron 3030 with a soundtrack by Deltron 3030.
  • Michael Bay's Hamlet, with a soun...

Christ, I can't even finish that.
  • edited May 2011
    Michael Bay's Hamlet, with a soundtrack by Linkin Park.
    Guillermo Del Toro's Deltron 3030 with a soundtrack by Deltron 3030.
    Did you listen to Golden Age?
    Post edited by Walker on
  • No, because I knew it would be a waste of time. The main problem I had with you saying just Dan was that you would be excluding Kid Koala. Besides, there's nothing wrong with Del's rapping, and if that's all he had to do then it would come out just fine.

And did you see this?
  • Anything by anyone with Amon Amarth as the soundtrack. Can't go wrong.
  • No, because I knew it would be a waste of time. The main problem I had with you saying just Dan was that you would be excluding Kid Koala. Besides, there's nothing wrong with Del's rapping, and if that's all he had to do then it would come out just fine.
    Fair enough on Kid Koala, but Del's rapping isn't what it used to be. Lyrically 11th Hour and Golden Age are like really watered down versions of Future Development, let alone Deltron 3030.
  • According to the Wikipedias, a studio officially picked it up last week and have named both a director and producers.
    I think this has happened like three times already. Yeah, and Duke Nukem Forever will come out firs-LOL WUT
  • edited May 2013
    I stumbled through Samuel L. Jackson's wikipedia entry on this interview. It's mostly about Afro Samurai but it contains the following:
    What are some of your favorites?
    My current favorite is “Black Lagoon.” But I always revisit “Ninja Scroll.” I’m actually trying to create an anime block for some station. Something that would have new stuff and some existing stuff.
    Jackson and Quentin Tarantino have worked together a lot in the past, and I think Jackson probably would make a great Dutch. My dream of a Tarantino directed live action Black Lagoon film lives on.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • While I agree that Jackson would make a pretty Decent Dutch. Can't really agree with Tarantino as the director, I'm not quite sure it would fit his style.
  • Yeah, a lot of Black Lagoon is quiet suspense and thoughtfulness. Tarantino does suspense and thoughtfulness like Michael Bay does romantic comedies.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, a lot of Black Lagoon is quiet suspense and thoughtfulness. Tarantino does suspense and thoughtfulness like Michael Bay does romantic comedies.
    You mean Transformers wasn't a romantic comedy?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited May 2013
    The hell you talkin' about? Tarantino's movies are massively suspenseful because of their thoughtfulness (save KIll Bill).
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited May 2013
    I think Coen Bros' Transmet and Tarantino's Black Lagoon would be the most successful.

Here's an obious one: Tim Burton's Sandman, with a soundtrack by Yo Jeong-Wook (the guy who does the music for most of Park Chan-Wook's movies).

EDIT: Ooh, got some more.

Wong Kar Wai's Sanctuary, with an eclectic score of his choosing. Alternatively, we need to hook up WKW with Murakami, since they'd probably make brilliant things together.

I really want to see a movie adaptation of DMZ (the comic), but I don't know who would be up to directing it. Soundtrack by local NYC musicians and rappers hand-picked at Silent Barn (a popular venue/art space in Brooklyn) by Kanye West.

EDIT2: Guy Ritchie's DMZ? Eh? Eh?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on