This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110503 - Portal 2

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Infamous
    God of War
    Ratchet and Clank
    Motorstorms - Multiplayer
    Metal Gear Solid 4 - Multiplayer
    Killzone 2 & 3 - Multiplayer
    Resistance 1 & 2 & 3 - Multiplayer
    Uncharted 1 & 2 - 2nd has Multiplayer
    Little Big Planet 1 & 2 - Multiplayer
    Demon's Souls - Multiplayer Integration
    All of those games are shit except Little Bit Planet 1 & 2.

The reason to get an XBox or a PS3 is because there are so many great games that are exclusive to XBox and PS3, but not any other platform. Games like Pac-Man CE DX, Super Street Fighter IV, etc. Even a few games that are also on Wii, such as Rock Band 3, are HD if you get them on PS3 or XBox, so the Wii version almost doesn't even count. However, all those games are better on XBox than they are on PS3 because XBox Live just makes all the games better, just like Steam makes games better. PSN, even if it worked, not as good.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Infamous
    God of War
    Ratchet and Clank
    Motorstorms - Multiplayer
    Metal Gear Solid 4 - Multiplayer
    Killzone 2 & 3 - Multiplayer
    Resistance 1 & 2 & 3 - Multiplayer
    Uncharted 1 & 2 - 2nd has Multiplayer
    Little Big Planet 1 & 2 - Multiplayer
    Demon's Souls - Multiplayer Integration
    All of those games are shit except Little Bit Planet 1 & 2.
    Have you played all of them?
  • Have you played all of them?
    What do you think?
  • Have you played all of them?
    Haha, about half. I was half trollin'. But I know about all of them, and have absolutely no interest whatsoever. Honestly, if you had to make a list of top 100 must play games of all time, I don't think any of those would make the chart. Even so, a PS3 is $300 and those games aren't cheap either. I'm pretty much done buying any game on a disc. The next Zelda Wii may be the last physical game I ever buy in my life.
  • edited May 2011
    Most of those games are highly rated and highly regarded. Even though they don't suit your particular interests, they are generally considered good games. Perhaps a PS3 isn't a good investment for YOU, specifically, but it can be quite worthwhile for someone else. There is a larger breadth of experiences on the PS3 than what was being represented on the podcast.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • edited May 2011
    Most of those games are highly rated and highly regarded. Even though they don't suit your particular interests, they are generally considered good games. Perhaps a PS3 isn't a good investment for YOU, specifically, but they can be quite worthwhile for someone else.
    Lots of games are highly regarded, because most gamers and game critics don't know shit. N'Gai Croal and Stephen Totilo are both nice guys, and very famous game reviewers. N'Gai didn't start gaming until the PlayStation and until recently Totilo never played Doom. It's because of people like them that we here at GeekNights feel that our gaming content isn't redundant despite there being so many podcasts and blogs doing the same thing. I've played the biggest games from every genre and ever era from SpaceWar! to Portal 2. Not just the video games, also the board games and the tabletop role playing games, and watched the sports, and we've studied the theory. We may not be academics, but from what I know about people who review games for a living I feel as if I am vastly more qualified to pass judgement on games. This feeling was rejuvenated at the last PAX West when we saw a panel of game journalists and the only smart one on the whole panel was Chris Hecker, the Spy Party guy. The only thing those other guys have over me is much much better writing skills.

TL:DR; I put absolutely no stock in game reviews because I have seen that most game reviewers don't know anything about games.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited May 2011
    I wasn't specifically talking about game reviewers. In general, some of those games are highly regarded with the ignorant masses, as well as the most hardcore of gamers. I know plenty of people with similar (or better) "gaming credentials" who liked a good number of the games I listed above. Your podcast isn't redundant because you're providing people with your own unique (and interesting) perspective, not because you're "more qualified" than everyone else. You talk about things that you're not qualified to talk about at all, but people still listen because they find you guys interesting. Credentials are irrelevant in this case.

Ultimately, it's a matter of taste, and I think you've just gained a distaste for more modern games.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • You talk about things that you're not qualified to talk about at all
    I try not to.
    I think you've just gained a distaste for more modern games.
    I have a distaste for cookie cutter genre games, regardless of era. There are tons of brand new games that are way awesome. What makes a game modern?
  • I try not to.
    Haha, about half.
  • because XBox Live just makes all the games better
    Xbox Live makes games so much better that they don't even want to take my monies and give me the gold membershp.

Truth be told. If I would have gotten PS3 on the same price I got my Xbox, I would have taken it instantly. There are some games on PS3 I would like to try and play, and PSN could have given me a chance to play games online, something that Microsoft doesn't let me do.
  • I don't care if the PS3 occasionally attacks me with a knife. When the Team ICO games are on it, the PS3 is gonna get got.
  • When the Team ICO games are on it, the PS3 is gonna get got.
    Keyword "When". Also, that's too few games to make the price worth it. Also, Shadow of the Colossus HD is just a remake of the PS2! And I heard it was delayed. I'd play it on a PS2, but even a PS2 isn't worth it just for that one game.
  • There would be lot more than one game for ps2 if you had wider taste for games.
  • There would be lot more than one game for ps2 if you had wider taste for games.
    If I liked poop or could read Japanese.
  • edited May 2011
    Also, can you guys give a good reason why it is definitively "stupid" to play an FPS game like Portal on the console.
    They already have previously, at great length - Just search "FPS console" in the search tab on the forums, and you should end up with a lot of it.
    There are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone would choose to play the game on a console over a PC.
    They would agree if you're talking about games in general - for example, I'm reasonably sure Scott Plays Super Meat Boy with a controller, and he gets a fair bit of use out of his Xbox, even if his games library isn't exactly expansive.
    What if they don't have a good enough PC to handle the games? What if they don't have the money to buy a proper PC, or they aren't interested in PC gaming enough to justify such an investment?
    Allow me to give you the short version of what you'd get - this point has been raised before - Suck shit, Get more money. Not interested enough, then don't do it at all. Problem solved.
    You guys need to stop talking in hyperbole all the time.
    Good luck with that.
    TL:DR; I put absolutely no stock in game reviews because I have seen that most game reviewers don't know anything about games.
    And I admittedly put little stock in reviewers who profess to know a lot about games, too - I find them worse than reviewers who don't know anything about games. The former might give an opinion, but the latter all too often gives their opinion, and then couches it in proclomations of how much they know about games, and how all of what they know backs up their opinion, while often claiming either they don't have an opinion, it's just objective fact, or even worse, that their opinion IS objective fact.
    I'd rather listen to some goofball who doesn't know much about games go "Hurr Durr Durr and I liked it because it was fun" than listen to "He's my opinion, and here's a massive post-hoc rationalization as to why every opinion but mine is wrong.

Edit - Though note, I'm not mentioning Scrym here, because while they're really, really far from immune to this, most of the time their reasoning makes sense, and more often than not their apparent knowledge informs their opinion, rather than just surrounding their opinion in bullshit so that they can shit on people who disagree. They do have their topics where they act strongly like the former - or even in a manner where if you replaced a few words with, say, "Homeopthy", they would be indistinguishable from regular woo-slingers - but for the majority of the time, they're pretty decent.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I've only used a Sony console for about four months. I signed up for PSN to try some of the user-made levels for Little Big Planet (PSP) and to play around with demos. I am pissed. Granted, I didn't give them my credit card info, and I'm careful about passwords, but my address is out there in the wild. Who in their right minds doesn't encrypt passwords? I am really reconsidering if I should get anything else from Sony. I'll have to wait and see.
  • Infamous was really good. Lots of fun.

BTW, the Uncharted series is on Playstation as well, and my gamer heart would feel a bit empty if I never played those games.

I hate exclusivity. If 360 had all the same games as the PS3, I'd just flip a coin as to which one I'd get. I don't care where I get my games as long as I can get them.

As for reviewers of games, I don't know who you guys are reading, but I think the ones I read know a little something about games. They have at least 5 years of experience in the industry, while others have about a decade or more. I also read many reviews, because as a general rule you should not just go with a single view on anything.

Now, the PSN issue. I read that the passwords were encrypted, but all that other stuff is out in the world. Screw you, Anonymous. Just an update: these cowards supposedly put the keys to the haxors train in the hands of some other dudes, so they really "didn't do it" - but they did. Hate you.
  • Now, the PSN issue. I read that the passwords were encrypted, but all that other stuff is out in the world. Screw you, Anonymous. Just an update: these cowards supposedly put the keys to the haxors train in the hands of some other dudes, so they really "didn't do it" - but they did. Hate you.
    If you give your car to a valet and he leaves the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition, who are you going to be more mad at? The person who stole the car or the valet? Whether Anonymous people did it, or not, most of the anger should be directed at Sony for their incompetence.

Anyone out there. If you are about to buy any Sony product just stop and imagine me saying I told you so. Then get something else.
  • Screw you, Anonymous.
    Who?
  • I'm mad at both the "valet" and the "thief". If the door was carelessly left open, you could decide to not put your hands one someone else's property or even explain to the owner that their doors are open. Just because you can do something wrong doesn't mean you're obligated to do it.

I have owned one PlayStation or another for half of my life. Out of that time, there was less than a month where I feel they performed incredibly poorly.

I really do not have experience with their other products. The most I hear is that they love to create proprietary stuff like UMDs which bug the hell out of people.

You own an Xbox 360, correct? How many of those failed through the RRod. Did that turn you from Microsoft? On the podcast, you also talk about preferring other OSes to Windows. How much do you trust their hardware? I hope you were lucky enough to not have to replace or repair your 360.
  • edited May 2011
    You own an Xbox 360, correct? How many of those failed through the RRod. Did that turn you from Microsoft? On the podcast, you also talk about preferring other OSes to Windows. How much do you trust their hardware? I hope you were lucky enough to not have to replace or repair your 360.
    Well, there is a vast difference between the RRoD and the PSN outage. The RRoD was a roughly 12 failure rate, according to the 2009 survey by Squaretrade. The PS3 had - according to the same survey - a 10% failure rate. And in Response to the RRoD problem, Microsoft extended a 3 year warranty from time of purchase to ALL consoles affected. Sony, in response to their own failure rate did - well, fuck all. Also, Microsoft modified the design of their consoles to try and sort out the problems, and the projected 1 year failure rate of the new Jaspar chipsets is only 4%. In regards to their failure rate, Sony did - again - fuck all.

However, it also must be taken into account that the PSN outage is not a case where a percentage of consoles are affected, because 100% of consoles were affected. No matter what state of repair your PS3 is in, PSN is still down. Your details were still taken. Credit card details - though not nearly as many as whom lost less sensitive personal information - were taken. They Delayed warning people of Data theft. They stored passwords and personal details unencrypted. Older Credit and debit card data was stored unencrypted. Their practices showed gross and inexcusable incompetence.
    It's a horse of an entirely different colour from the RRoD problem.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Sony was negligent, but stealing credit card info is illegal regardless.

Ad hominem tu quoque: Sony having bad security doesn't invalidate the fact that a crime was committed and they are the victim.
  • Ad hominem tu quoque: Sony having bad security doesn't invalidate the fact that a crime was committed and they are the victim.
    Yea, except that when the thief sneaks by a guard that is sleeping on the job, you still fire the guard.
  • Ad hominem tu quoque: Sony having bad security doesn't invalidate the fact that a crime was committed and they are the victim.
    Yea, except that when the thief sneaks by a guard that is sleeping on the job, you still fire the guard.
    Thief is still the criminal
  • Thief is still the criminal
    Nobody is saying the thief isn't the criminal. What everybody is saying is that the criminal got in because the guard was sleeping on the job and that's a fucking problem.
  • I was not comparing the RRoD problem to the PSN problem. I was saying that Microsoft is not without its issues, and those problems have inconvenienced people.
  • The guard wasn't just sleeping, he was incompetent on a general level. To analogize further, he took everything he was supposed to be guarding and lined it up outside of the vault (easier to check up on). Then he made sure the doors were unlocked (easier for him to get in and out). Then, he bought a billboard with a big arrow pointing out that the doors were unlocked and the goods were all lined up outside the vault (so he didn't forget where they were). Finally, he went home and took a nap.
  • dsfdsf
    edited May 2011
    Nobody is saying the thief isn't the criminal. What everybody is saying is that the criminal got in because the guard was sleeping on the job and that's a fucking problem.
    The problem is that thousands of peoples' credit card information is out in the underworld. That needs to get addressed first. Forensics need to be done to figure out who these people are and track where they disseminated the information. Then you can expose a big part of the underground identity trade. Either way everyone on the PSN needs to call their banks and get their info changed.

Class action law suits will handle Sony's incompetence. Most likely The gov will just push off charges and say let it get handled in law suits. It's pretty obvious that Sony was negligent; if you are arguing that Sony is negligent then yes sir, you do have a firm grasp on the obvious.
    Post edited by dsf on
  • just read that it may basically take a month to get the PSN back in business. I don't think there's even a word for this. Well, Scott, I may not drop them, but a month is more than enough time to test gamers' patience.

Also, let's not forget the developers who put out download only games on PSN, and if PSN was back this week, would anyone even want to buy anything on there because personal information was compromised before?