This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hajime no Ippo

Comments

• So I just finished episode 20 and I have a question. When Ippo was fighting the defensive boxer who kept "clinching" with him, they talk about how based on scoring, the other guy would win. I admit I don't know anything about scoring in boxing, but it seems to me that knocking down your opponent should count for more points than just winning a round.

I understand, as a plot device, it makes more sense and is more dramatic to have Ippo's opponent be in the position where if he can only stand back up again, he'll win the match, but is that how scoring works in real life?

Just wondering if anyone knew. Thanks.
  • Ok so the scoring part of boxing is usually based on a bunch of things. Accuracy with your punches and your hit percentage are the big things the judges tend to look for. It's based off of a 10 point system, basically the person with the better round gets 10 points, the person who didn't do so hot according to the judges usually gets 9. Normally when you get a knockdown the round is basically yours are you automatically get the 10 points, other guy gets 9. This is a per round thing, and if there is no knockout victory the judges add up all your points and he with the most wins.

I guess an example would be, if I were boxing, and won the first two rounds, lost the third, but won the fourth, I would get 39 points at the end while the opponent would get 37. Obviously this is an oversimplification, but the main thing the judges are looking for is their hit percentage, and punching accuracy when it comes to scoring. The harder you hit doesn't really matter when it comes to points.
  • Ok so the scoring part of boxing is usually based on a bunch of things. Accuracy with your punches and your hit percentage are the big things the judges tend to look for. It's based off of a 10 point system, basically the person with the better round gets 10 points, the person who didn't do so hot according to the judges usually gets 9. Normally when you get a knockdown the round is basically yours are you automatically get the 10 points, other guy gets 9. This is a per round thing, and if there is no knockout victory the judges add up all your points and he with the most wins.

I guess an example would be, if I were boxing, and won the first two rounds, lost the third, but won the fourth, I would get 39 points at the end while the opponent would get 37. Obviously this is an oversimplification, but the main thing the judges are looking for is their hit percentage, and punching accuracy when it comes to scoring. The harder you hit doesn't really matter when it comes to points.
    Thanks. I guess that makes sense.

They didn't really explain the scoring system in the anime, but now that I understand how it works, the plot makes a lot more sense.
  • edited May 2011
    So I just finished episode 20 and I have a question. When Ippo was fighting the defensive boxer who kept "clinching" with him, they talk about how based on scoring, the other guy would win. I admit I don't know anything about scoring in boxing, but it seems to me that knocking down your opponent should count for more points than just winning a round.

I understand, as a plot device, it makes more sense and is more dramatic to have Ippo's opponent be in the position where if he can only stand back up again, he'll win the match, but is that how scoring works in real life?

Just wondering if anyone knew. Thanks.
    Yes and no, most boxing is scored with a mandatory 10 point system, where every round is worth 10 points and 10 points are given to the winner of the round. If the round was dominated by 1 boxer, then the judges give 8 points to the other boxer, or 9 points if it was a more competitive round.

So, if the guy is scoring more points with the weak hits, and gets knocked once on one round, he'd still probably score a 10-9 and if he wins the other 2 rounds it's still a 29-28 victory.

EDIT: Damn it!
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • So, what would I have to do to get a score less than 8? Take my pants off and present my chin? Punch myself?
  • Punch myself?
    If you punch yourself and get a TKO, who wins the match?
  • edited May 2011
    So, what would I have to do to get a score less than 8? Take my pants off and present my chin? Punch myself?
    Constant fouls.

It's a pretty broken system, and they are looking into changing it, thanks mostly to MMA.
    Punch myself?
    If you punch yourself and get a TKO, who wins the match?
    It has happened before, and the opponent gets the KO victory.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • edited May 2011
    You can get point deductions from fouls such as tripping, elbowing, rabbit punching, punching below the belt, unsportsmanlike conduct etc. That is up to the discretion of the ref and not the point judges though I believe. The worst fouls could also get you disqualified.

In HnI, that is also pretty much the line that is drawn between the good guys and the bad guys. Bad guys commit fouls, good guys don't. If you keep reading the manga, you'll see Ippo fight a guy named Sawamura (which is a very good fight btw, so keep reading) who is probably the most notorious example. Later there's a fight between Sawamura and Mashima, that also has a bunch of fouls by both opponents.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Finished all the animes.
  • Finished all the animes.
    final thoughts?
  • edited May 2011
    Finished all the animes.
    final thoughts?
    They should make more animes so I don't have to read the mangas.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • A sequel's been "being planned" since A New Challenger ended. I do agree though. I'd much rather watch than read this which is contrary to my usual leanings.

Anyone know if Bryan Hawk's boxing is based on a real person's?
  • Anyone know if Bryan Hawk's boxing is based on a real person's?
    I'm mostly sure it's just part of the story's slow leaning further away from real boxing and more towards shonen superpowers fighting.
  • A sequel's been "being planned" since A New Challenger ended. I do agree though. I'd much rather watch than read this which is contrary to my usual leanings.

Anyone know if Bryan Hawk's boxing is based on a real person's?
    From wiki:
    Bryan Hawk: The former WBC Junior Middleweight Champion. A fighter of enormous build, Hawk is detested throughout Japan for his contemptuous attitude towards boxing, often bringing his personal entourage of "Hawk Girls" along to matches and other events. Raised in the toughest parts of New York, Hawk survived with his incredible talent for hand-to-hand violence. He uses unorthodox punches that are very hard to predict, in words of his own coach, Hawk's fighting style is not boxing, it's simply violence. He apparently derives even some degree of sexual pleasure from this violence. He loses the WBC Title to Takamura and retires from boxing due to the injuries received in the match. Like many boxers in the show before he boxed he was a street fighter. He grew up in the most dangerous parts of New York and fought until he was discovered by Miguel Zale, who ran a boxing gym. Bryan Hawk resembles former WBC Junior Middleweight Champion Ricardo Mayorga (who is often referred to as "The craziest man in boxing"), who is infamous for his hatred of training, wild swinging awkward punches, talent that had stemmed from a violent background, and borderline psychotic attitude. His upper body swaying, hands down stance, foot and hand speed also resembles former Featherweight Champion Naseem Hamed.Voiced by: Akio Ã…ÂŒtsuka
  • See, that's why Wikipedia's a better wiki. I looked at the HnI wiki and it said just antics were based on that guy, not his crazy fighting style.
  • For comparison:
  • edited May 2011
    I'm just getting started on the show. The first episode was basically the same thing as how Initial D starts off, except with carrying heavy items instead of doing deliveries, and boxing instead of racing - [main character] has [hidden talent] due to [unusual upbringing/genetic trait]! Of course, that's hardly suprising; it's the same formula as so many other shounen sports/fighting/competition shows, and it's not really a problem because the formula works. It's always just a question of how well it's executed, and Hajime no Ippo seems to be doing the job well so far.

Of course, there are exceptions, like Kenshiro who starts off with no hidden talent at all - it's pretty much all on display right from the start.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Of course, that's hardly suprising; it's the same formula as so many other shounen sports/fighting/competition shows, and it's not really a problem because the formula works. It's always just a question of how well it's executed.
    Hajime no Ippo is a little different. Ippo has some talent, but he has to do a lot of hard work and practice to be actually good, and they show all that hard work. Lifting heavy things only helps a little bit. Also, Ippo fucking loves boxing. In some other shows like Initial D, the shonen hero is reluctant. Ippo is like "fuck yeah, gonna punch people!"
  • In some other shows like Initial D, the shonen hero is reluctant.
    Hikaru no Go is another example of that.
    It's cool that Ippo is enthusiastic and will have to work hard to get good.
  • I haven't watched the anime, but Slam Dunk seems pretty similar to Hajime no Ippo, at least what I've seen of HnI so far. I've read the complete Slam Dunk manga, but haven't seen the anime.

Just like with Shonen fighting manga, sports manga have their tropes and cliches too, but maybe because the genre isn't as over-saturated, at least here in the US, they don't stick out as much.
  • edited May 2011
    I haven't watched the anime, but Slam Dunk seems pretty similar to Hajime no Ippo, at least what I've seen of HnI so far. I've read the complete Slam Dunk manga, but haven't seen the anime.

Just like with Shonen fighting manga, sports manga have their tropes and cliches too, but maybe because the genre isn't as over-saturated, at least here in the US, they don't stick out as much.
    I've read the manga in scanlations. I actually tried to buy the manga when it was rereleased in the U.S., but it suffers from the same syndrome that Bleach suffers: Too many action shots, not enough story. It is the type of manga that you would read on a weekly basis in a magazine, but it is definitely not worth buying. I was burning through whole volumes in 15 minutes and that's just not worth $6 a pop. I made it through the entire series on scnalations because I had all the volumes available and just burned through it in one go, and didn't even notice how little story there is in any given chapter.

Unfortunately, I can imagine what the same problem spells in regard to the anime, and from what I hear through the channels of AWO and others is that its very much the case: Eternally drawn out episodes with no plot.

As I explained earlier in this thread, Ippo works because it took so long to make an anime out of it and they had plenty of material to jam-pack the episodes and keep them interesting and going. The first season of the Ippo anime started 10 years after the manga started. The first season of Slam Dunk came out 3 years after the manga started, and that's a problem, particularly with a manga with so little going on.

There are definitely shonen properties to be recommended far ahead of Slam Dunk, such as Soul Eater or Hikaru no Go.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Any particular reason the Thai fighter is shown having black eyes? I think this is the first time I've seen a Thai person in manga so I'm not sure if this is common or for this particular character.
  • Mashiba is hilarious.
  • Mashiba is hilarious.
    Yeah, I like how they always introduce a fighter one way. Then just before or after Ippo beats them up they reveal the character's true motivations and make them out to be someone else.
  • edited May 2011
    That was quick. 12 days for 76 episodes?
    I'm done with the original series now; looks like I finished it in 6 days based on my earlier post.

Unless they're terrible, it looks like I'll be watching the two OVAs (Champion Road and Mashiba vs. Kimura), followed by the second series (New Challenger).
  • Unless they're terrible, it looks like I'll be watching the two OVAs (Champion Road and Mashiba vs. Kimura), followed by the second series (New Challenger).
    They're not. They're more of the same. They might as well all be the same show.
  • That manga continues being more of the same. As far as I've read, Mashiba vs. Sawamura is the best fight by far.
  • World Champion HAX

That is all.
    Eeyup.
  • edited June 2011
    World Champion HAX

That is all.
    Eeyup.
    Followed by more different World Champion HAX.

Also, what's the specific reason that Takamura had to challenge for the Jr Middleweight world title in particular? That weight control was pretty fucked up.
  • If I recall correctly they said it's because Japanese boxers simply don't box at the higher weight classes. In the manga, after the second series ends, Takamura goes "To hell with that!" and decides to win the five higher weight classes too.