This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hajime no Ippo

Comments

• Also, what's the specific reason that Takamura had to challenge for the Jr Middleweight world title in particular? That weight control was pretty fucked up.
    Takamura's problem is that he's large. Most Japanese people are relatively small. And of the few large Japanese people, how many become professional boxers? Takamura basically has no opponents in Japan. He goes down to Jr. Middleweight because he actually has a little bit of competition at that level, which gives him people to spar against and such.
  • edited June 2011
    If I recall correctly they said it's because Japanese boxers simply don't box at the higher weight classes.
    I think that's probably mostly the right idea, as apparently Japanese boxing above the Middleweight class is pretty limited. However, in his previous matches Takamura was in the Middleweight class, not Jr Middleweight, if I recall correctly; hence the question remains - why Jr Middleweight and not Middleweight, if not a class above that?

I suspect the answer is that world title matches are already hard to get into in the first place, and then the higher the weight class, the less of a reputation Japanese boxers have. So it's likely they just took what opportunities they had. Having a world title would give Takamura the reputation needed to challenge for higher weight classes.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Having a world title would give Takamura the reputation needed to challenge for higher weight classes.
    Ayep.
  • The Zoo is a treasure trove of special moves.
  • The Zoo is a treasure trove of special moves.
    The costume he wears for his next few matches is great.
  • I'm done with the animes; looks like I have no choice but to go to the manga now.
  • Aaaand I'm out of Ippo. Stupid cliffhangers.
  • I really enjoy the medical illustration in the manga. It's very Black Jack.
  • edited June 2011
    After you read all the manga chapters from Ignition One, you can read up to the absolute newest chapter here.

http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/66161744/1
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Thai fighter
  • I recently watched the first episode, the shower scene was so gay! Besides that I enjoyed the show quite a bit.
  • I recently watched the first episode, the shower scene was so gay! Besides that I enjoyed the show quite a bit.
    There's lots of penis jokes in this show and the manga.
  • edited June 2011
    After you read all the manga chapters from Ignition One, you can read up to the absolute newest chapter here.

http://mangastream.com/read/hajime_no_ippo/66161744/1
    And then: Fuck. I spent most of the past couple of days reading the Ippo Manga from Chapter 400-938; what the hell am I supposed to do now?!? Take responsibility!

Also, Itagaki has some serious HAX.
    Quick, go wash the gay off you, lest you be infected! Scrub hard, soap and water!

Manly soap only though. If it's lavender scented, it will only make it worse.
  • Also, Itagaki has some serious HAX.
    No, Itagaki is going to get his comeuppance. Ricardo Martinez is the hax.

Also, what is up with Takamura taking so many trips and not being in the manga very much at all? At least he's about to defend his title again for awesomeness.
  • edited June 2011
    No, Itagaki is going to get his comeuppance.
    Oh, I know, and I just can't wait. Itagaki's ridiculous speed is just going to make it all the sweeter when he slams into a wall ^_~
    Also, what is up with Takamura taking so many trips and not being in the manga very much at all? At least he's about to defend his title again for awesomeness.
    You've got to be careful with the dosage of Takamura; it's a delicate balance.
  • Last thing I've seen, the Hammer Nao story-arch I liked quite a lot. Maybe not the best fight, but for character development and exploration it was really good. Also in that Ippo finally said something cool for the press.
  • Last thing I've seen, the Hammer Nao story-arch I liked quite a lot. Maybe not the best fight, but for character development and exploration it was really good. Also in that Ippo finally said something cool for the press.
    I like that part also. Sadly, Hammer Nao hasn't appeared since. i would like to see him hang around like some of the other characters have.

After finishing all the available manga I think I'm actually digging Sendo. He basically represents the more typical shonen fighting hero. If someone else had written this story more sticking to the formula, Sendo would be the main character and Ippo would be the supporting character. Having him there I think is a great commentary on the other shonen manga.
  • So I just finished the first season. Should I start on the 2nd or should I watch the movies first?

Speaking of the movies, does anyone know where I can get them?

Thanks. I really like this show. Some of the fights, especially the last one, can drag on too much, but overall, it's really good. Similarly to Shonen fighting shows, I enjoy the training and the non-fighting parts of the show more than the actual fights. Maybe I'm just weird.
  • Watch the movie and OAV (both of which are at the torrent site mentioned on page one) before going onto the second season.
  • Are there two movies because after searching that site, I only found one: Championship Road
  • Are there two movies because after searching that site, I only found one: Championship Road
    There's the movie and a 60 minute OVA called "Kimura vs. Mashiba".
    There's the movie and a 60 minute OVA called "Kimura vs. Mashiba".
    Thanks!
  • Chapter 939 is out on Mangastream now.
  • Chapter 939 is out on Mangastream now.
    And what an epic chapter it is!
  • "Makunouchi doesn't get one punch KOs"
  • "Makunouchi doesn't get one punch KOs"
    Trust that the coaches training will program your body to win on its own.
  • I am not sure what to think. On one hand, this does truly feel epic. On the other, there was a ton of lead-up to this fight, and it lasted all of 2 and a half punches. Still. HOLY FUCK!
  • edited June 2011
    On the other, there was a ton of lead-up to this fight, and it lasted all of 2 and a half punches. Still. HOLY FUCK!
    That's a good thing. Part of what makes Ippo great is the shortness of the fights. I've noticed that quality of shonen battle manga/anime is inversely proportional to the average length of the battles.
    Post edited by Apreche on