This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110503 - Portal 2

13»

Comments

• I already avoided Sony products by and large, but this whole thing really just seals the deal.
  • Some of the questions I think we should be asking are:

1) How many rights did you sign away under the terms of service?
    2) Is there Government regulations regarding information security, or does the government just make suggestions?
    2a) If there are regulations, are they being enforced properly, have they been "defunded"?
    3) Should Sony be held accountable for the loss(Liberal ideology) or will the market regulate itself by the share holders demanding better security and firing the people that led to the event(Conservative ideology)?
  • 3) Should Sony be held accountable for the loss(Liberal ideology) or will the market regulate itself by the share holders demanding better security and firing the people that led to the event(Conservative ideology)?
    Hmm... Considering that consumers will sign away just about anything to get what they want, and have short memories of malfeasance, I see no path forward but accountability enforced by the government.
  • dsfdsf
    edited May 2011
    3) Should Sony be held accountable for the loss(Liberal ideology) or will the market regulate itself by the share holders demanding better security and firing the people that led to the event(Conservative ideology)?
    Hmm... Considering that consumers will sign away just about anything to get what they want, and have short memories of malfeasance, I see no path forward but accountability enforced by the government.
    I agree, but the vast majority of Americans are duped into voting against their own interests and I think will end up calling for less regulations as to not"strangle" corporations.

Solution: Fire all Republicans... ... ... ... out of a cannon and into the sun?
    Post edited by dsf on
  • Too many dots!
  • Despite this, I'm still considering getting a PS3 because it has the one game I REALLY WANT: Gran Turismo 5. If that game were on the 360, I wouldn't even consider the PS3.

In all likelihood, I'm going to end up getting the 360.
  • edited May 2011
    Despite this, I'm still considering getting a PS3 because it has the one game I REALLY WANT: Gran Turismo 5. If that game were on the 360, I wouldn't even consider the PS3.
    Is Forza really that different? Even if it is different/better is it hundreds of dollars different? You'll have to pay at least $400 to get a PS3 and GT5. If GT5 were on Steam with a price tag of $400, would you seriously click "buy"?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Despite this, I'm still considering getting a PS3 because it has the one game I REALLY WANT: Gran Turismo 5. If that game were on the 360, I wouldn't even consider the PS3.
    Is Forza really that different? Even if it is different/better is it hundreds of dollars different? You'll have to pay at least $400 to get a PS3 and GT5. If GT5 were on Steam with a price tag of $400, would you seriously click "buy"?
    I can't honestly tell you how different the games actually are because I haven't played them in a while, but I can tell you that, from my limited experience, Forza definitely feels more Arcade-y where GT5 feels like a simulator. The nice in-between that I've found is Dirt2 and Need For Speed: Shift and I own both those games.

As for whether I'd spend $400 on the game, No, obviously not. However, just because GT5 is my primary motivator, that's not to say that it's the only benefit to buying a PS3. There's the obvious fact that I'd be getting a Blu-ray player, as well as the rest of the game library. On top of that, I'm already used to the Playstation style controller, as I own a PS2. Again, these are not my primary motivators, but they are additional points that I put into consideration.

However, the 360 also has it's good points. My house is 100% Windows, so media sharing is a big plus. Most of my friends have 360s, so being able to play with them over xbox live is good too. There is also a large library of games available for the 360 that appeal to my interests.
  • The PS3 can stream media from Windows Media Player too.
  • It's all (before this PSN mess) down to the few exclusive titles each console has. It's that and what console your buddies are playing. Smart people just buy all the damn consoles and have a grand time! I wish I was smarter. :(

If this PSN catastrophe doesn't end in firings, I will be shocked. There is so much damn money in that PSN store going to waste, and I would love to see the screaming going on behind those corporate doors.

Sonic, you must be a huge GT fan, because I looked at video of that game and I think I'm off the Gran Turismo train for good. I do like the level of realism they provide, but I think I don't have the time for it to get good at racing.

Rym, you're kinda vague on what Sony products you hear negative feedback on. I know so little of Sony products.
  • edited February 2016
    This shit is cray
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • its neat that the engine is resilient enough to handle that.