This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why don't we have post counts.

edited June 2007 in Suggestions
I would like to know.

Comments

• You do, it's under your profile if you click on your name. Why should it matter anyways?
  • If you mean something that tells how many posts you have done or threads started, if you go to you account page, that's where you will find them. If you don't know how to get to your account page... you're on your own.
  • What an inane thread.
  • Why don't they have them by your posts. Like they have at every other forum sites.
  • It probably has to do with the (insert proper technical term here) they built this forum out of. There aren't a lot of things from typical boards on here.
  • Why don't they have them by your posts. Like they have at every other forum sites.
    Because no intelligent person gives a shit about something as unimportant as how many posts they have made on a forum.
  • From my personal experience as a former admin of a large forum, the addition of a "post count" feature and levels based on post numbers only encourages spam and poorly written posts caused by people who merely wish to get the post count higher, rather than post quality content.
  • Because no intelligent person gives a shit about something as unimportant as how many posts they have made on a forum.
    Scott, got-damn it, you beat me to it. On another note, lately more and more people ask questions such as this. TO ALL YOU PEOPLE: if you do not like how things are, go away.
  • Exactly what Sonic said. A prominent post count encourages spam and inane, useless chatter.

Because this doesn't want to be like other forum sites.  Other forum sites have pretty major problems, some of which are caused (as others have said) by postcounts.
  • Post counts in posts do lead to spamming of the boards. I used to admin for Kenzer & Company and post counts became a very thorny issue. Especially after we changed some forums so they "no longer counted" for post count purposes.

To a gamer, post counts equal experience points and titles equals levels. You can imagine how pissed many people were when we screwed around with "their" system...
  • I've never understood people who regard the post count a being anything more than an interesting little statistic. If it involves that arbitrary need to have a number associated with one's name go up, then one should just play an MMORPG. At least it will be accompanied by pretty pictures.
  • I've never understood people who regard the post count a being anything more than an interesting little statistic.
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    And, like all above me have stated, a viewable post count would incite frivolous discussions and endless spam.
  • I've never understood people who regard the post count a being anything more than an interesting little statistic. And, like all above me have stated, a viewable post count would incite frivolous discussions and endless spam.

I don't think "frivolous discussion" is something to be concerned about (although spam is).
  • I don't think "frivolous discussion" is something to be concerned about (although spam is).

I meant frivolous discussion as in people discussing how high their post count is, which can also be construed as spam.
  • So, what do people over at Spam.com talk about?

Am I the only one who thinks the kid in the SPAM shirt looks like Kevin Rose?
  • That spam hamburger sounds like a choking Ewok...
  • Post counts seem a bit pointless to me . . . .

I mean, on a really vague level, it shows how long a person's been around on a forum, but otherwise, it just takes up space and looks tacky . . .
  • It's kinda funny that you guys have so much to say about post counts. Post counts are stupid unless you use Gaiaonline.com Then it would be acceptable. Cause you want to post all you can to get gold there.... Yeah, I'm going to shut up now. Tee Hee!
  • I have some choice words about Gaia . . . .
  • edited June 2007
    Like what?
    Epic fail.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Biggest damn waste of time since WoW.
    Gaiaonline: The place where spammers can live out their days chasing threads that disappear from page to page every damn second so they can scrape together a meager living based on accessorizing.
    You know it's just glorified dress-up, right?

These come a dime a dozen. XD
  • And One Sin didn't even mention the constant cybering between 11 year olds.
  • That's the fun of it. You only go there cause it is a waste of time. It's not seroius.
  • Perhaps you don't understand . . .

There are fun wastes of time like Dead Rising or going through Youtube.
    Then, there are shitty, ridiculous wastes of time like WoW, Gaia, and spam-racing . . . which includes Gaia. :P