This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Puella Maji Madoka Majica

Comments

• I just finished watching this show yesterday, and I'm currently watching it again with my brother.

It's a good show. You absolutely must watch the first three episodes all at once, though.

Also, MAWNING LESCUE!
  • Yeah, I lol'd every time that came on.
  • MORNING RESCUE cosplays actually happen and make me really stupidly happy.
  • I might finish the show eventually, but the ending is going to have to be something really freaking amazing in order to forgive the first half of the show.
  • I might finish the show eventually, but the ending is going to have to be something really freaking amazing in order to forgive the first half of the show.
    Ummm, what's to forgive? If you didn't like the first six episodes, you're not going to like the rest, at any rate.
  • The only thing I liked about the first 6 episodes was the end of episode 3 and the character of Kyubei. If the entire rest of the show was exactly like the end of episode 3, I would have finished it. I really just don't like any of the characters except Sayaka and I especially hate Madoka. Seriously, she needs to stop being a whiny little bitch and fucking do something.
    Ummm, what's to forgive? If you didn't like the first six episodes, you're not going to like the rest, at any rate.
    He said it was "too slow". But then again when you stop DIRECTLY BEFORE all the major shit goes down and the big reveals, it kind of kills it.
    ...maybe I like it as much as I do because I started watching as it was first coming out and honestly expected nothing but fluff from it and was pleasantly surprised.
  • edited August 2011
    Seriously, she needs to stop being a whiny little bitch and fucking do something.
    If you mean she should become a Magicka, I don't think you really 'get' it.
    He said it was "too slow".
    what is this I don't even
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited August 2011
    It's one of those things where if you have to watch the entire show before it gets good, why watch the show? I can just watch more Slayers and enjoy every single episode. Also note that when I tried to watch this show, it was at the end of an anime binge in which I also watched Durarara, Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt, and Princess Jellyfish.

Seriously though, I probably would have liked the show more if I just didn't hate Madoka as much as I do. SPOILARZ: Oh, my BFF just died! How am I ever supposed to go on living? It's not like I have evil Ryo-ohki here who can totally bring her back to life in order to fulfill my wish and will also make me into a magical girl just like I always wanted!/END SPOILARZ

I watched the show in the first place because people were telling me that it was a super fucked up magical girl show and I watched the first three episodes back-to-back like everyone told me to. I got one instance of fucked-upness and the show passed the 3 episode test for me, so it moved onto the 5 episode test where it failed to provide me the disturbingness that was promised to me. I understand that hat will come later, but I really just don't care enough to get to that point.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • It's one of those things where if you have to watch the entire show before it gets good, why watch the show?
    It's not, though. At all. Which is why I find it so weird that you don't like it. Also, I think it's rather clear at that point in the series there is something sinister about becoming a Magica that makes it bad were Madoka to become one, even though you don't know specifically what that is yet.
  • edited August 2011
    Seriously, she needs to stop being a whiny little bitch and fucking do something.
    If you mean she should become a Magicka, I don't think you really 'get' it.
    He said it was "too slow".
    He also ragequit Odin Sphere in the middle of the second book/story/playable character. /argument.

Seriously though, I probably would have liked the show more if I just didn't hate Madoka as much as I do. SPOILARZ:
    You very obviously don't get the message of the show, then. I mean, yeah, she could have. But if you'd actually understood the whole big picture it would make more sense.
    Edit: Sorry, Sail said this better than I did. Thanks man.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • He said it was "too slow".
    what is this I don't even He also ragequit Odin Sphere in the middle of the second book/story/playable character. /argument.I "rage-quit" Odin Sphere because the slow down got so bad that the game become almost unplayable. Seriously, if you could get a copy of the European version where they fixed he slow-down problems, I would finish the game. I actually liked the characters and story in that.

I also know that stuff does get sinister in Madoka, I just wish the show would have sober gotten more to the point or made the characters besides Mamie, Sayaka, and Kyubei more interesting from the start.
  • If you mean she should become a Magicka, I don't think you really 'get' it.
  • He said it was "too slow".
    He also ragequit Odin Sphere in the middle of the second book/story/playable character. /argument.
    I "rage-quit" Odin Sphere because the slow down got so bad that the game become almost unplayable. Seriously, if you could get a copy of the European version where they fixed he slow-down problems, I would finish the game. I actually liked the characters and story in that.

I also know that stuff does get sinister in Madoka, I just wish the show would have sober gotten more to the point or made the characters besides Mamie, Sayaka, and Kyubei more interesting from the start.
    As for Odin Sphere? DEAL. I love that game immensely and want to share it with the whole wide world and have them all love it as much as I do. Except not really, because then there'd be a lot more crappy Odin Sphere Cosplay... But anyway, you know that means you have to come over and play it on my PS2 because the European version won't work on your's, right?

All the characters are interesting. You just didn't get to the parts where they are.
    I'M not. I just enjoy giving you a hard time.
  • The Internet pleases me with it's easy access to troll Kyubey's. You know what, at this point, I might as well finish the freaking show. I don't have to go into work until 5, so I'll finish it sometime this afternoon.
  • edited August 2011
    Kyubey always creeped me out.
    Post edited by Snickety-Snake on
  • edited August 2011
    Kyubey always creeped me out.
    You mean you want a different facial expression?
    Done.
    Post edited by Anrild on
  • edited August 2011
    So with the big reveal in episode 9, I have come to the conclusion that Madoka is a black comedy. If that is not the case, then I am definitely just getting a different kind of enjoyment out of this show. Seriously, who would have thought that our solution to solving the energy crisis would be to harvest the emotions of teenage girls and convert them into energy?/VERY SILLY SPOILERS
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Every time I see this thread I think it's about Majicka Vietnam.

• Wow. I assumed this show was gonna be more of a Nanoha. That was amazing. I powered through the whole show today.
  • I just finished the show, and it was okay. Solid C anime. The last two episodes were fantastic, but I really wish the rest of the show was on the same level as they were. I feel like the show has a lot of squandered potential. They did some really cool things, like Kyoko's flashback, and the witch fights in general, but it took way too long for me to get invested in any of the characters, and when I did it was usually more for a silly reason than the fact that I actually liked them (I liked Kyoko for the the overly dramatic Death Note-styled eating of food and I liked Homura because she has the freaking gun from Rambo). Also, the big reveal was exceedingly silly. I understand what they were going for, but it could have been handled in a better fashion.

DId everyone else see the little viking magical girl in the last episode? I want a show about her!
  • I just finished it last night. I love how the series left you wanting to see the next episode. I love the art shifts during the witch scenes. While the characters are stock from different magical girl shows, the fact that they put them in these conflicts, emotions, and fights, makes them seem more rounded then they are. This is due to most folks in the audience never seeing that trope outside it's usual usage. [The end when she basically became a god and fairy god mother to every magical girl ever, created a new universe and is a concept now.] Homura became my favorite character due to her abilities and application of them. Also, her loyalty to Madoka, making the last episode possible.

Also, HELL YEAH! I want a viking magical girl!
  • edited August 2011
    Todo: Insert Kyubey's contract into any future EULA I write.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Watched four episodes, and there's a couple things I just don't understand.

First, Homura is really dumb. She should have just gone and said "Look guys, this is the reason I don't want you to become magical girls. Seriously, don't do it." It's so obvious she knows what's up. She should has just said everything to avoid drama, but it's too late now.

Secondly, it seems like Madoka and Sayaka are basically forced to become magical girls in an unfair way. Sure, Kyubey has a lot of rules to follow, he's basically the same as Koyemshi from Bokurano. The thing is, he's cheating. If Madoka and Sayaka don't want to be magical girls, why do they still have to see all the witchy shit? If they went back to normal, they wouldn't get involved with the witches and such, and wouldn't have been coerced into magical girldom. It's like, if you're going to get trapped into witch land and might die anyway, you might as well become a magical girl so you can fight back even if you don't get any wishes. As soon as they said no, life should have gone back to normal with no telepathy, no witches, no weird shit.

But yeah, show is basically Bokurano with magical girl instead of mecha. Also has some Eva-styled surreal scenes, but what anime since Eva doesn't borrow something from it? None, none anime.
  • Watched four episodes, and there's a couple things I just don't understand.

First, Homura is really dumb. She should have just gone and said "Look guys, this is the reason I don't want you to become magical girls. Seriously, don't do it." It's so obvious she knows what's up. She should has just said everything to avoid drama, but it's too late now.
    A legitimate complaint for four episodes in that's addressed later.
    Spoilers: She's tried that before. The girls argued with her and ultimately went insane. It didn't end well.
    Secondly, it seems like Madoka and Sayaka are basically forced to become magical girls in an unfair way. Sure, Kyubey has a lot of rules to follow, he's basically the same as Koyemshi from Bokurano. The thing is, he's cheating. If Madoka and Sayaka don't want to be magical girls, why do they still have to see all the witchy shit? If they went back to normal, they wouldn't get involved with the witches and such, and wouldn't have been coerced into magical girldom. It's like, if you're going to get trapped into witch land and might die anyway, you might as well become a magical girl so you can fight back even if you don't get any wishes. As soon as they said no, life should have gone back to normal with no telepathy, no witches, no weird shit.
    Kyubey doesn't control who the witches attack and Madoka and Sayaka are often voluntarily tromping into witch's labyrinths. He doesn't have the power to return them to the "real" world and can't make them forget everything unless that's what they wish for.
    Spoilers: Sayaka actually becomes a magical girl for totally selfish reasons and Madoka is ultimately the one forced into it. Sayaka isn't coerced, she used Kyubey to get what she wanted and heal the guy she was in love with to prove to him life was worth living. It wasn't about Kyubey OR the witches, it was about her wanting to be a hero for a guy, something Mami warned her against (she said something to the effect of, "Are you saving him because you want to save him, or because you want to be the one to save him? It's a subtle difference, but it matters").
  • Finished it. Definitely had some problems, but also plenty of good stuff. I think I can give this show a B+ or A-, but only because it was 12 episodes. If it were 26 episodes it probably would have been a Gonzo show like Last Exile where they setup something good and can't do anything with it. By keeping it short and ending, they got to the point, and didn't leave room for any crap. However, because it was so short, you do miss out on those scenes of the characters just hanging out and not worrying about the plot. The kind of scene where Misato is getting wasted and PenPen is hanging in the freezer. Anime in general has been lacking that in general lately.

It seems to me this show is a combination of a few trends in anime. That's what the Japanese seem to be good at is taking things that are popular and combining them together to appeal to a wider audience. Here they combined so many things. They have an Evangelion style plot, moe characters and designs, pop art witch scenes, and even a "rules" premise. By rules premise I mean that the hook for the show is some sort of set of arbitrary rules to force the characters into conflict. I think it may have started with Battle Royale, but is also seen in Death Note, Bokurano, and 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors. Granted it's a combination that hasn't been done before, so it works, but it still seems like the show was a salad constructed designed by a committee.
  • I'm enjoying the hell out of this. Only up to 08 just now though.