This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pathfinder

edited October 2010 in Role Playing Games
Does anyone on the forums play Pathfinder? I'm thinking about picking it up, but I'd like to hear some opinions before I do.

Comments

• My roommate just started playing it, and he likes it. It's apparently nearly identical to D&D.
  • As far as I know evolutionary form of D&D 3.5 to those who don't like to move on to 4th ed. So if you like D&D 3.5 you probably like Pathfinder.
  • As far as I know evolutionary form of D&D; 3.5 to those who don't like to move on to 4th ed. So if you like D&D; 3.5 you probably like Pathfinder.
    I've heard Pathfinder is D&D; 3.75. It's very tempting.
  • I've heard Pathfinder is D&D; 3.75. It's very tempting.
    Yeah, I only heard about Pathfinder recently, but D&D; 3.75 is what everyone keeps saying. From what I hear it isn't fundamentally different from 3.0 or 3.5, it just polishes a lot of the rough spots. For example, every class gets a meaningful new ability at every level. There are no levels where you just get some points. Also, there are a lot more feats and such.

If I was going to do a puzzle solving dungeon type of game, I would consider Pathfinder. I just don't feel like buying the books considering I already have a 3.0 and a 3.5 PHB.
  • I know quite a bit about the system as a friend of mine who is a SUPER 3.5 hang'er-on'er has almost talked me to death on it. It does look like a clean-up/evolution of 3.5, which on its own has some possibility. I'm not so interested as to buy it, though, because I'm trying to get my RP buddies to try alternate systems and buying Pathfinder myself would only encourage them to play that. Not that I don't WANT to but you see my devious plan...
  • I just don't feel like buying the books considering I already have a 3.0 and a 3.5 PHB.
    Pirate Bay? That's how I have so many 40k books.
  • I just don't feel like buying the books considering I already have a 3.0 and a 3.5 PHB.
    Pirate Bay? That's how I have so many 40k books.
    I genuinely like gaming books. I'll download a PDF to check out the content, but I'll buy them if I'll actually use it in play.

The ~60$ price tag on the Pathfinder Core Book at Boarders is ASTRONOMICAL!!! but I can deal with it being ~30$ from Amazon. It's a chunky book with good arts and a ton of content, but damn! I don't want to temp my friends into buying 100$ worth of books. For a game we'll only play once or twice.

It's tempted to just buy an iPad (or other similar e-reader device) and pirate gaming books.
  • D&D 3.5 turned me off of D&D, so I don't imagine I really want to get into Pathfinder.
  • One thing that Paizo (the company behind Pathfinder) is doing right is that they have the PDFs of their books for $10 each. I have the Core Rulebook which I've only skimmed, and will probably never play, but at $10 there was no reason not to buy it just to see what's inside. (There's also a free SRD, much like WotC had for 3.x.)

Of the people I've talked to, most of the D&D 3.5 fans like the cleanups in Pathfinder, and most of the 4e players just haven't looked back.

Personally, I think of PF as a sort of "rules reset". If I wanted to run a D&D 3.x game, I won't worry about all the 3/3.5 splatbooks, I'll just stick to the core, probably-not-too-broken PF books.
  • I just recently joined a Pathfinder campaign that some local nerds are starting. It's definitely D&D 3.75, and so far I really like it. Also, if you have an iPad using the PDF books is actually pretty great. We're all using iPads (aside from me, who is FAR too cheap for that.. I just use a netbook).
  • I just recently joined a Pathfinder campaign that some local nerds are starting. It's definitely D&D; 3.75, and so far I really like it. Also, if you have an iPad using the PDF books is actually pretty great. We're all using iPads (aside from me, who is FAR too cheap for that.. I just use a netbook).
    A good friend of mine just started his own Pathfinder campaign with a local group and he's loving the system as well. Pathfinder is blowing up pretty big right now. By most of the recent quarterly sales data at ICv2.com, it's been outselling the D&D; products. The concern at the moment is that Pathfinder will experience its own bloat, but Paizo has promised they will be able to manage it and will not have to bail out into a new version anytime soon.
  • At my local gaming store, Pathfinder has pretty much wiped out all the other DnD games being played. There's an occasional Warhammer Fantasy 3rd Edition game, and an All Flesh Must Be Eaten game, but by far and away, most of the rpgers are playing, and loving, Pathfinder.

I'm still itching to play a game of Eclipse Phase though...
    Ahem.
    Ahem.
    Hoo Ha! The original d20SRD was a great resource while I still played. Glad to see PathFinder keeping up with it.
  • Ahem.
    That's awesome! I love it.
    Ahem.
    Hoo Ha! The original d20SRD was a great resource while I still played. Glad to see PathFinder keeping up with it.
    Additionally, it isn't just Core + a couple of other guides like the D&D; SRD was. It has ALL of the rules content they produce from all of their Pathfinder publications. I buy a lot of their stuff because I like the company and I want to support their business model (free rules information) but there isn't any reason you must.
  • Subscribers get free PDF versions of the books they get. I appreciate that quite a bit.
  • I've ran two sessions of Pathfinder's "Kingmaker" adventure path now. It's an interesting hybrid of new school and old school. In about 4 or 5 more sessions, we will get to the point where the characters get to settle a small "country" of there own that's pretty interesting. While researching this ahead of time, apparently the rules are broke in a dozen places, which sucks, so I was searching for a good solution. One thing I learned from this is how bad some other podcasts can be. Four hours to get... maybe 30 minutes of relevant content out of it. Super sadface. Luckily I can read and listen at the same time... burning through some books here.