This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tablets: Opinions and Suggestions

edited June 2010 in Suggestions
Hello everynyan.

I have a friend who is currently searching for a drawing tablet for work. The tablet is to be used to trace designs and logos for screen printing and embroidery. I mentioned that Wacom tablets are considered good, but might be too pricey for the kind of work he will be using it for.

So, can anyone who uses tablets on a regular basis provide suggestions on what tablet he should get, please?
Thank you.

Comments

• My mom has a Wacom Bamboo (which is like 100 bucks) that she loves. A lot of people use the Bamboo, actually.
  • I second the Wacom Bamboo. We bought one for my daughter and she loves it.
  • I've never heard anyone say anything good about any tablet that wasn't a Wacom. I've only used the "professional" models, but everyone says the Bamboo is fine.
  • I've only ever heard everyone say shit about any non-Wacom tablet.
  • Bamboo are not a lot of money. Totally go for the "Bamboo Pen" as that is cheaper and you don't care about having multi-touch input.
  • Thank you, everyone, for your assistance. I will recommend to him that he get a Wacom Bamboo, specifically the Pen model.
    Thanks again, everyone.
  • My only additional piece of advice is NOT to buy the smallest tablet of any brand. They're nice if you want them to be portable, but even one size up gives you much better precision.
  • My only additional piece of advice is NOT to buy the smallest tablet of any brand. They're nice if you want them to be portable, but even one size up gives you much better precision.
    On that same note, don't buy the biggest model either, I'd stop at US Letter size unless it's a cintiq kind of deal.
  • Yeah, the 6x8 (or whatever's closest in the Bamboo line) should be just right for most people.
  • Wacom Cintiq 24HD just approved by the FCC. Expect to see it soon, probably for $2,000+
  • Wacom Cintiq 24HD just approved by the FCC. Expect to see it soon, probably for $2,000+
    Hopefully it means a price drop for the 12'' model
  • The Inkling looks fucking magical.
  • We were kind of salivating over that at work yesterday. I think I know what I want for Christmas.
  • Why are there so many good gadgets lately!? I want to get one so I can digitize all my travel notebooks while I'm on the road. It would also be immensely useful for all my lab and lecture notebooks.
  • That is really cool. The price isn't bad at all either. Inkling
  • edited September 2011
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/wacom-cintiq-24hd-hands-on-video/
    $2500
    That much money and there is still what looks like a 300ms to 400ms lag between input and display. Probably not a show stopper for most people but it would definitely irritate me if I had to use one of those.
  • That much money and there is still what looks like a 300ms to 400ms lag between input and display. Probably not a show stopper for most people but it would definitely irritate me if I had to use one of those.
    Yeah, I really don't understand why nobody can make this perfect. Make a mostly transparent wacom tablet. Put an LCD screen under it. Doesn't need to be a $2500 monitor. It could be a 10" portable thing. Would probably sell like crazy.
  • This one is a 12.1 inch Cintiq and the DS has the Colors! homebrew app.