This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Punk Kids Confronting Pedophiles

edited November 2011 in News
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/11/16/troll-a-predator-bc-teens-superheroes-vigilante-chilliwack_n_1096682.html
Three teens from Chilliwack, B.C., have been posing as young girls online, luring men to clandestine meetings, and confronting the alleged predators while wearing superhero suits.

The confrontations, modeled on NBC’s popular To Catch A Predator TV show, were videotaped and posted to YouTube under the banner ‘To Troll a Predator.’

But now the Mounties have stepped in, opening an investigation into the teens’ campaign and warning of the dangers of vigilante justice.

RCMP Cpl. Tammy Hollingsworth said the serious crimes unit is on the case and is conducting interviews with the three boys, aged 17 and 18.

She said police intervened because they were concerned about the teens' safety. Hollingsworth said police have not identified any of the men in the videos and are not considering charges against the teens at this point.

"I don't think they really realized the scope of this and what the consequences could have been," said Hollingsworth.

This is all at once funny, awesome, and dangerous. If these were grown men it might seem less so of the last, but these are teens messing with criminals. granted they're in public places, but as the saying goes, "Never underestimate the power of duct tape and a grudge." One guy following them home is all it would take, but I don't know if there is really anything they can be charged with (note I'm not Canadian though). Its not vigilantism because they're not doing anything more than humiliating the pedos, and its not illegal per se to misrepresent yourself on the internet (if it were we'd all be thrown in jail).

I dunno, I'm ambivalent about this. On the one hand this is an awesome way to draw pedos out in the open, on the other it is rather dangerous for adults, let alone children, to do because of the inherent risk of not knowing how the criminal will react. what do you guys think?
Post edited by Jack Draigo on

Comments

• While it's a very brave idea, it's an enormous risk. And them being minors is more of a liability.