This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need a good beard trimmer and head shaver... Any Suggestions?

edited January 2012 in Suggestions
To all the Forum males who buzz their heads and trim their beards, what kind of electric shaver do you use? I'd prefer to use one device, rather than a separate one for my beard and head.

I trim my beard to various lengths, depending on my mood, and I don't shave my head completely, just a very very close buzz cut. Is there a shaver/trimmer out there that can do both well?

My current trimmer is dying, and I need a new one. I'm debating getting this from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Precision-Haircut-Trimmer-Cord-Free/dp/B004I8NO8A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3F1B08AICBWYB&colid=2MPUOE6ITZC1Y

If anyone has any suggestions or a particular trimmer/shaver that they use, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Scissors for the beard, and a clipper with interchangeable "clip on" comb parts, the "adjustable" ones tend to slide around.
  • I use this beard trimmer. It kinda sucks, but it gets the job done.

Remington MB-200 Titanium Mustache and Beard Trimmer

For my head I actually have all of the following equipment. It's amazing. Seems expensive, but it's already paid for itself if you compare it to the price of going to the barber shop.

Oster 76076-010 Classic 76 Professional Hair Clipper

Oster Ac T-finisher Trimmer # 59-01

Oster Professional 10 Universal Comb Set Specially Designed to Fit Oster Clippers

Basically what I do is I use the 000 blade like a lawnmower all over. Then I go with the t-finisher around the ears and to level the sideburns and such. They make a 0000 and 00000 blades, which I've considered, but they aren't really necessary. When I shaved my head for the first time I used the combs to gradually get shorter and shorter. I don't use them now, but they can come in handy maybe if I have to use it on someone else.

The other thing is that this serious equipment actually requires maintenance. You have to lubricated it and clean it and such. There are some great YouTube videos that can show you everything.
  • Do not buy a cheap hair clipper set. Spend over 100 dollars on it. Anything less and you'll get something shit which will only last maybe 5 haircuts before falling apart, seizing up, going blunt, or something else which makes cutting your hair way too slow and/or painful. Also a good set will come with a larger variety of combs and other accessories.

As Scott says, you should clean and maintain them, but the cheap ones are sometimes impossible to clean and lubricate, and if you can get into it, it's probably made of plastic and will break after a few cleans.

Spend the money on quality. You don't only save money and hassle in the long run compared to paying for hair cuts, but you also save money and hassle compared to buying a series of progressively less-shit clippers until you settle on the good quality one you should have bought in the first place.
  • I use a Fusion Pocket Rocket trimmer, it was recommended to me by my barber a few years ago. You can buy one here, they're a bit pricey, but I've been using mine since about 2006 or so, and it's not skipped a beat yet.
  • I purchased a set years ago for grooming pets. I have been using it on my own head ever sense.

The smallest trim guard did break at one point but I've been shaving my own head since I was a barracks barber. As long as you have a good mirror setup you can do more than just toss a 1/2" guard on and go to town.

I also recommend using a vacuum to clean the hair bits off of your head.
  • Do any of you guys add any sort of product to your beard to make it unruly? Or is that with just proper trimming and grooming?
  • Do any of you guys add any sort of product to your beard to make it unruly? Or is that with just proper trimming and grooming?
    I don't do shit. My only problem is the skin under the beard, and lotion only partially helps.
  • edited January 2012
    Do any of you guys add any sort of product to your beard to make it unruly? Or is that with just proper trimming and grooming?
    I shampoo my beard with moisturising shampoo, but generally, I just let it be, and give it a quick comb of a morning. Trim when necessary.

Post edited by Churba on
  • When I grow a proper beard or moustache, I comb it daily and sculpt it every other day. Once a week or so, I shampoo it a little.
  • Ok, I'm just curious because of Jeremy's beard. He really is very lazy and grooming it and I tried adding the straightening cream I put in my hair along with using my flat iron.

I'll just tell him to stop being lazy and groom his shit.
  • Then ask him to not groom his shit, and instead flush it.
  • edited January 2012
    If you've got a long beard, beeswax or a pomade are your options. I try to trim strays with a pair of scissors. Which reminds me that I need to trim this thing up.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Ok, I'm just curious because of Jeremy's beard. He really is very lazy and grooming it and I tried adding the straightening cream I put in my hair along with using my flat iron.

I'll just tell him to stop being lazy and groom his shit.
    It must take real trust to allow someone to approach your face with a flat iron.

• What do you guys use for beard dandriff?
    Head and Shoulders. Same thing I use for head dandruff.

I don't really get it, but then again, the shampoo I most often use on my beard is the Head and shoulders for dry hair, y'know, the moisturizing one.

• I use this beard trimmer. It kinda sucks, but it gets the job done.

Remington MB-200 Titanium Mustache and Beard Trimmer
    I use this one too, it works okay as long as you do not mind a mess. Also, I am confused why Amazon lists the price per ounce for that.
    That's an actual thing? I have the head kind, but never heard of the beard type.

• It's it just dead skin cells. Probably just need to put some moisture on the skin underneath.