This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Superbowl XLVI

2»

Comments

• Wasn't Cirque Du Soleil supposed to perform with Madonna?
  • I had two reasons for wanting the Giants to win: 1) Dislike of Tom Brady, 2) Went to high school with #97, Linval Joseph.
  • Here's what I want from a halftime show.

There's a giant red circle on one side of the field. It's all that's illuminated. Suddenly, the circle telescopes upward, into a Ziggurat. An Energy Dome. Devo come out of the top tier. Mark Mothersbaugh goes, "Hey, America, are we not men?"

Suddenly, a blast of white light, and a vocoder: "ROBOT." Motherbaugh again, "Human!" "ROBOT." "HUMAN!" "ROBOT!" "HUMAN!" "ROBOT-BOT-BOT-BOT..." And suddenly, a cascade of lights streams forth, and Daft Punk is in the Light Pyramid at the other side of the field. Then, they play a show together. The Pyramid and the Energy Dome. Devo Punk.
  • I usually don't hate the Patriots. I would probably end up rooting for them against most teams. Obviously not the Giants, though.

But during the game I got an extra reason to really want them to lose. For those of you who don't know the owner of the Patriots' is Robert Kraft. His wife, Myra Kraft, died of cancer last July. In mourning every Patriot wore a black MHK patch on the front of their jerseys for the entire season. OK, a person you care about died, it's serious and sad. But mourning that like that on a national stage is in such poor taste. It's really disgusting. Like those people who write "So and So R.I.P." on their rear windshields. Tom Brady even pointed at the patch then the sky after scoring a touchdown. They also showed reaction shots of the owner looking at the sky after he lost.

If the Patriots had won, the media would have trumped up that story of her death so much. You would hear all kinds of bullshit like "she had her hand on the ball" or other nonsense. That kind of talk only lasted a week when Al Davis died, but it would have lasted for years if the Patriots won this game. It would be so intolerable I would have to ignore any football related sports media for quite some time. I like to imagine if there were an afterlife that my uncle Kenny making sure Myra didn't interfere with the game. He was a real fan. He taped every single Giants game on VHS during every year of his life during which he owned a VCR.
  • To be fair, they've been wearing those patches all season. It's not like they put them on extra just for the game. The pointing BS I agree is silly, though.
  • To be fair, they've been wearing those patches all season. It's not like they put them on extra just for the game. The pointing BS I agree is silly, though.
    I know they've been wearing them all season. I said that.

• edited February 2012
    It's really disgusting. Like those people who write "So and So R.I.P." on their rear windshields.
    I have a rant about 5-pages long on this, but I'll sum it up with what I told my wife: If I die and you decide to memorialize me with a giant tacky window decal, my afterlife spirit will possess the damn car and steer it right off the road.

Post edited by Matt on
    No more silly than any of the other superstitious stuff done in sports. I don't get why Tom Brady giving ups to Myra Kraft is any less silly than a hockey player not washing his gear or the captain of Real Madrid eating ten chicken wings prior to every match.

• edited February 2012
    To be fair, they've been wearing those patches all season. It's not like they put them on extra just for the game. The pointing BS I agree is silly, though.
    No more silly than any of the other superstitious stuff done in sports. I don't get why Tom Brady giving ups to Myra Kraft is any less silly than a hockey player not washing his gear or the captain of Real Madrid eating ten chicken wings prior to every match.

It's not a superstition. It's a public six month long funeral.

Speakin of superstitions...

I watched Super Bowl 46 in the exact same room in the exact same spot that I watched Super Bowls 21, 25, and 42. The Giants won every one of those. I was a freshman at RIT in the dorms during Super Bowl 35, which the Giants lost big time. How about that? If my parents move out of that house, the Giants are in big trouble.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited February 2012
    That's a pretty broad use of the word "funeral," there. To wit: The Bears still have George Halas's initials on their jerseys. No one cares, it's not distasteful. Why is MHK any different than GSH?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • That's a pretty broad use of the word "funeral," there.
    Might as well have the corpse in a glass case on the sidelines.
  • edited February 2012
    It seems rather macabre, yes. Mourning seems like it is at its most dignified when it is personal and quiet. To do a public show of mourning is common in many cultures, but I think it is distanced from the real grief that people feel when someone they know has died. Most of the people watching and even the players had little or no personal relationship with the deceased, and thus I feel their mourning is a pageant, which, at best, just shows their sympathies to the coach of a team they play for.

However, back in high school, one of the football players committed suicide and the team wore his name small on their jerseys for a long time. I think it was less about showing off grief and more about honoring a person who meant a lot to them. It helped them and the rest of the school deal in some small way.
    I can see both sides.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Everybody mourns differently. Also it seems that many people are easily offended when others can't mourn the way they do. It's a weird thing... I mourn briefly and in solitude. Apparently even this bugs some people...
  • There are much more tasteful things to do besides putting a name on the jerseys constantly. You can name something after the person, like a building, a place, a scholarship, a charity, etc. That makes a tasteful memorial. The problem with the constant memorial is that you keep bringing it up over and over again which cheapens the whole thing. It's not even about remembering the person anymore, but making an undeserving spectacle. It would be more appropriate if the person was more deserving. For example, the Patriots celebrated this woman for six months non-stop. Baseball celebrated Jackie Robinson one day a year.
  • I remember when the halftime show was an Elvis impersonator and it was in "3D" that didn't work.
    I must have missed that halftime show. My personal favorite halftime show was Diana Ross exiting via helicopter.

I enjoyed the Madonna halftime show, probably because I'm old. Or maybe because I approved of the fancy projection tricks, especially the shaking/folding football field markings. But I enjoyed the Puppy Bowl more. They had a freaking double touchdown, and a piggie pep squad. Hard to beat that.
  • You would hope that Ahmad Bradshaw's butt touchdown would be a great teaching moment about the strategy of the game. Instead, people just lol at butts. This is why nerds think football is dumb when it is not. Most of the fans enjoy the game not because they understand it, but despite not understanding it.
  • edited February 2012
    I wonder if Bradshaw made eye contact with Spikes as he sat down, as if to say, "Yo son, your shit is fucking over."
    You would hope that Ahmad Bradshaw's butt touchdown would be a great teaching moment about the strategy of the game. Instead, people just lol at butts. This is why nerds think football is dumb when it is not. Most of the fans enjoy the game not because they understand it, but despite not understanding it.
    I spent over an hour last night teaching basic football strategy to a room of people. It was pretty awesome once everyone understood the significance of why the buttdown was not the preferred outcome during that play.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • You would hope that Ahmad Bradshaw's butt touchdown would be a great teaching moment about the strategy of the game. Instead, people just lol at butts. This is why nerds think football is dumb when it is not. Most of the fans enjoy the game not because they understand it, but despite not understanding it.
    It would have been good if he actually executed what he intended, but instead he failed and gave the Pats one last chance at winning.

It would have been good if he actually executed what he intended, but instead he failed and gave the Pats one last chance at winning.
    Well, apparently Coughlin didn't instruct him to not score. Eli says he yelled out "don't score" once he realized they were letting him walk in. Apparently he heard it, but it was too late.

The thing is I actually think in that case what you do is still score, but you stand still on the edge of the end zone and wait as long as possible before going in. The touchdown was guaranteed go ahead points. The field goal, while very probable, is still a chance at failure. Never take points off the board, IMHO.

There is one question I am uncertain of. Does the clock run during a two point conversion attempt? If the clock runs, then the Giants should have pulled a Madden. Just run away from the endzone and go all around the field killing time. If it doesn't run, then it just doesn't matter.
  • There is one question I am uncertain of. Does the clock run during a two point conversion attempt? If the clock runs, then the Giants should have pulled a Madden. Just run away from the endzone and go all around the field killing time. If it doesn't run, then it just doesn't matter.
    That would have actually been a play so awesome I would wish I had watched the game. If that's legit.
  • There is one question I am uncertain of. Does the clock run during a two point conversion attempt? If the clock runs, then the Giants should have pulled a Madden. Just run away from the endzone and go all around the field killing time. If it doesn't run, then it just doesn't matter.
    That would have actually been a play so awesome I would wish I had watched the game. If that's legit.
    It seems like the clock does not run during an extra point, so I assume it also does not run during a two point conversion, for this very reason.
  • The thing is, you guys think Madonna was bad, you have very short memories. I remember when the halftime show was an Elvis impersonator and it was in "3D" that didn't work.
    You think that's having a short memory, I got three words for you - Black Eyed Peas.
    Arsedown
    Y'know, in Rugby that wouldn't be considered a try, as an interesting side note - The ball has to contact the ground for it to count.

• My personal favorite halftime show was Diana Ross exiting via helicopter.
    WOW! Someone who remembers that! I watched it as a kid and thought Diana Ross was the best thing ever as a little kid.

• Late, but relevant.