This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Music listening habits

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Your local non-shit radio station that caters to your taste of course.
    A) I don't think we have a non-shit local radio station. I don't think I have a radio.
    B) I don't know what my taste is anymore. I don't like any particular genre anymore.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • what would be a good, single source that I could check daily
  • edited June 2011
    I don't know what the situation is like over there, but here the radio (Mostly the BBC) is actually quite varied and there's a good few niche stations. There's always pirate radio, too.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You could of course try Churba's local non-shit radio station.
  • edited June 2011
    what would be a good, single source that I could check daily
    Wait , you guys don't have a classic rock station?

P.S. Somebody fix this backwards thing it's not funny anymore. To quote Zero Punctuation, if it was at first a perfectly timed fart, it's now become a fart that's gone on for 10 or 20 minutes so that the room is starting to smell and thre's a mysterious green liquid coming from the offenders ass. I.E. it is both annoying and worrying.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • edited June 2011
    That doesn't help with new music finding. And not everyone likes listening to classic rock all the time.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2011
    That doesn't help with new music finding.
    Oh, then I go to the AV Club and look at the music reviews there. Whatever gets a good mark I check out. Also, NPR has a podcast called "All Songs Considered" which regularly has this feature called "First Looks" or something like that where they introduce a new album coming out and play a track.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
    Sorry, I keep forgetting you guys live in the US. Do radio stations even play anything but ads over there?
  • Sorry, I keep forgetting you guys live in the US
    You don't keep forgetting. Going by your comments, it seems like you spend a truly inordinate amount of time thinking about it.
  • Sorry, I keep forgetting you guys live in the US. Do radio stations even play anything but ads over there?
    They also play "R&B;" which is to say this

If I'm not mistaken, that song is not very bluesy. As opposed to real Rhythm & Blues like this.
  • Do radio stations even play anything but ads over there?
    Most radio stations around where I live (Utah) are pretty bad; I have about 10 presets I have available (and these are the BEARABLE stations), and I won't be surprised if at one instance all 10 will have commercials going. However, my classical music station is actually very good about limiting commercials. Of course, they're funded by BYU, which means they don't have to... and the content isn't too bad. In any case, if I really want to listen to radio, I'll stick with Pandora... or the late night jazz channel they have here. As far as the classic rock and other channels go, they're REALLY heavy on commercials, and are essentially crap stations...
  • You don't keep forgetting. Going by your comments, it seems like you spend a truly inordinate amount of time thinking about it.
    Actually I don't. Only after posting, and getting reactions, I again realize that even though we're all on the internet, the world is still painfully fragmented. The ads comment is just taking the ridiculous "BACK AFTER COMMERCIALS" moments you see in US television appearing here on TV, only to instantly be followed by the next part, no commercial in between. Whenever I used to zap through channels during the day, it would be more likely that I would come across Dr. Phil's audience with the camera flying over them, than the man himself. It's just that bad.
  • You could of course try Churba's local non-shit radio station.
    Yeah, I can't recommend Triple J enough. Good music, mostly reliable news, Up and coming stuff, stuff you'd have never heard of despite being popular, unearthed musicians, and of course, every year in January, the Godly king of music, The triple J hottest 100.

Also, another really good local station is 4ZzZ (Pronounced Four-Triple-Zed) - It's a community station, run on donations, but it's a very professional setup, and excellent music and presenters.
  • A month of music - part 4: listening to my entire iTunes library by date added.

So, it's that time of year again!

In 2009 I listened to every bit of music in my iTunes library as sorted by track name, and in 2010 I did listened to the entire thing as sorted by by track length, and again in 2010 sorted by play number.

It's a fun little project, and makes me take notice of the music I have in new ways. Over the past month I've listened to every track as sorted **by date added**.

What did I find out this time?

Of the four ways I've listened to all my music in order, it was the one that had the greatest effect. Listening as sorted by track length told me a lot about the kind of music I own, but by date added it told me a lot about **me**. Changing tastes of music is only the smallest part of it.

Mostly it's about the triggered memories. This is a great way to relive your life through your memories, in order, as triggered by "Oh shit, I remember buying this!" or "I know where I was the first time I heard this track, and ripped it from that CD!"

If I looked through a diary, that would work, but most people don't keep diaries. But everyone has a collection of music. Listening by track name is just a whimsical thing that only someone like me would do, someone who has almost unlimited free time, gives in to random impulses, and bloody-minded enough to stick with long term projects.

I think **everyone** should listen to all their music as sorted by date. Then again, maybe most people aren't like me, and might not get anything from it at all. Who knows.

Some more notes:

- When you sort all the tracks by date added, if an album has the same time and date (to the nearest minute) it then lists the tracks alphabetically by name, not by track number. I'm not sure why, but it meant that I listened to albums in an unusual order. Unless, of course, the track names were "Track 1, track 2, track 3, etc."

- The first track, for the second time, was "5 seconds of almost silence", a track I use to separate music track on CDs for my show. It's also the shortest track in my library, as well as the most played.

- Next is a whole load of music that I copied direct from my old PC onto my macbook when I bought it back in February of 2008. This includes 311 songs, 20.2 hours, or 1.5 GB of music. A lot of this is from my collection of CDs from the previous decade, but from CDs I didn't still have with me physically.
    What did this mean? This batch included a LOT of memories. Stuff I'd downloaded for specific shows, CDs I'd borrowed from friends at university and ripped, some music from Pola's computer, and lots more.

- The next main batch of music is from a few weeks later, when I wanted to have the titles of every track listed, rather than just "Track 1, track 2, track 3, etc." Instead of doing anything manually, I just ripped all the CDs I had, let iTunes grab the track titles from the internet automagically, and deleted the previous files.
    This included a lot more music that Pola and I had bought together, or that we both liked so that we'd carry the music with us on road trips in a CD carrying case. Good times!

- Once I had an iTunes account, much of the music I bought was through that, and not CD. A lot of these were impulse buys, or buying new albums from favourite artists. Also there are many EPs and albums that I bought after hearing the music on a YouTube video, and iTunes is usually the easiest way to grab it.

- At the EJC in 2008 I organized the EJC Open Stages, and put in lots of CDs to rip for the artists appearing on stage. Also someone gave me a USB thumb drive with a big collection of ska music and other stuff, and it somehow got imported into my iTunes library. I liked most of it, so kept most of it.

- Some CDs that someone gave to me. Those were ripped.

- Some music from musicians I work with on cruise ships. Well, to be honest the style of music normally isn't to my taste, so I don't keep the music in rotation, except for a very few artists.

- Oh look, all of Jonathan Coulton's Thing A Week music. Mixed memories of my own attempt to make a song a week for a just six weeks, rather than for an entire year.

- And then quite a few albums bought at the suggestion of various girlfriends and friends who are girls over the last two years. Lots of memories there too!

- Albums and EPs by musicians I met on my vacation in New York in September 2010. Those guys were all super talented! I still buy their new music as and when it comes out.

- Various nostalgia trip! Downloading albums I owned on CD, cassette tape or (I'm not kidding here) minidisc when I was 20, but since lost. Groove Armada are still cool, right? Basement Jax? Air's Moon Safari? Jamiroqui? Love it! That reminds me, I should find some Orbital and Leftfield again some time. This way I can get double memories, of when I first listened to that music, and also when I buy it again 10 (or more) years later.

Whew! A lot of memories. That will do for now.

But what next? Listen to the whole iTunes library as sorted by... release date? That might work, but only three quarters of my library has the year of release. Beats per minute? Only a few dozen tracks have that info attached. Genre? Album? Artist? Those are a bit boring. No matter, I'll think of something.
  • If I'm at home, I'm always listening to music. The only exceptions being if I'm reading or writing,
    I am the exact opposite. I love listening to music whenever I read. I find making various playlists of songs I tend to put in the same style/genre is really great for certain moods.

I currently have a reading list of Nujabes (mainly), Uyama Hiroto, Esbe, Fat Jon, Force of Nature, Tsutchie, and similar instrumental songs that I play all the time whenever I'm reading an actual novel, not manga or graphic novel. It's my favorite music to listen to while reading. It's mellow and laid back and it keeps me relaxed as I read.

I also have an instrumental Anime OST for reading as well. It's mostly music from Escaflowne.

Does anyone else have specific types of music they listen to while they read?
  • If I'm at home, I'm always listening to music. The only exceptions being if I'm reading or writing,
    I am the exact opposite. I love listening to music whenever I read. I find making various playlists of songs I tend to put in the same style/genre is really great for certain moods.
    Can't do it. I'll just stop reading in favor of listening.
    Mostly this. I can read during really slow or ambient works, though. Phillip Glass is a current favorite.
    True facts. I listen to music as an activity.

Well, except when I'm driving. But that's when I tend to listen to stuff I already know quite well.

• I tend to listen to music most while at work, on the subway, and doing chores in the house. My number one problem is its impossible to listen to music while vacuuming. #firstworldproblems.
  • I've been finding more and more that I've become an auditory learner anyway. One of my textbooks came with an online audiobook version that I've been taking full advantage of. My other classes, I usually don't do the reading because I am able to retain almost everything from the lectures.
  • I tend to listen to music most while at work, on the subway, and doing chores in the house. My number one problem is its impossible to listen to music while vacuuming. #firstworldproblems.
    Louder music. Duh.

I currently have a reading list of Nujabes (mainly), Uyama Hiroto, Esbe, Fat Jon, Force of Nature, Tsutchie, and similar instrumental songs that I play all the time whenever I'm reading an actual novel, not manga or graphic novel. It's my favorite music to listen to while reading. It's mellow and laid back and it keeps me relaxed as I read.

I also have an instrumental Anime OST for reading as well. It's mostly music from Escaflowne.

Does anyone else have specific types of music they listen to while they read?
    I'm much more like this too. I mostly only use music as a background to some other activity, reading and writing/programming being the main ones. During most other activities I tend to listen to podcasts if anything at all. The only thing is that any music I listen to while reading or writing has to either be without lyrics, or is sung in another language than English. Which is why my main sources of music for reading are anime and game soundtracks.
  • I once tried writing down some test results while listening to music. It took roughly 6 times longer than usual to write anything, and my handwriting suffered.

I can review data while listening to music, mostly.
  • I listen to music per album, but my music player shuffles the order of the albums.
  • edited February 2012
    I tend to listen to music most while at work, on the subway, and doing chores in the house. My number one problem is its impossible to listen to music while vacuuming. #firstworldproblems.
    Get some good in-ear earphones, that usually works pretty well. Keeps the sound out enough that you can keep the volume low, and not damage your hearing. Either that, or get yourself a good pair of cans with good isolation.
    I once tried writing down some test results while listening to music. It took roughly 6 times longer than usual to write anything, and my handwriting suffered.
    I can write while listening to particular kinds of music, but I have trouble writing when I'm listening to any sort of spoken-word stuff.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Alternate strategy: Hardwood floors and a mop.
  • I once tried writing down some test results while listening to music. It took roughly 6 times longer than usual to write anything, and my handwriting suffered.

I can review data while listening to music, mostly.
    I tend to listen to trance when reading/writing I find it helps me focus better than silence does.

also it's not exactly a listening habit but does anyone else try to get music recommendations from new friends you meet?

• It took roughly 6 times longer than usual to write anything, and my handwriting suffered.
    I tend to listen to trance when reading/writing I find it helps me focus better than silence does.
    I can type and write just fine, as long as I know what I'm typing/writing. If I have to come up with anything while writing (such as when writing an email/short story) lyric heavy music interferes.
  • Also it's not exactly a listening habit but does anyone else try to get music recommendations from new friends you meet?
    This forum has introduced me to so many awesome artists that I enjoy immensely.

Another habit I get into, when I find that a certain artists releases something new, I'll get whatever I can find of that artist's new stuff and remixes of it. Then I'll go on a bender for days of just listening to nothing but that.

Point in case: Andain's Much Too Much. This artist mainly releases singles that end up having all kinds of different remixes. I love her voice so much. It's hypnotic to me. I've been listening to that song along with Promises, Beautiful Things, & Summer Calling with its various remixes over and over.
  • Also, when I find a new awesome song I listen to it like crazy until I'm tired of it. Then I move onto something new. When new things don't show up, I circle around back and find something old that I wore out a long time ago, but have forgotten so it's like new again.