This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• Well you all can wait, but I'm going to order a funeral arrangement now
  • Sounds about right for a Gawker site.
  • We have not lived virtuous enough lives for Kim Jong Un to be dead already.
  • It's actually chinese twitter rumors being translated and reported by Gawker.
    Iron-fucking-clad right there.

I heard it was ghost dogs that killed him.

• I have heard that embassies military bases are all on high alert in that region. but that could mean anything. This is just from some guy one reddit, so it is equally unsourced. But lets keep this rumor mill running.
  • Meanwhile, elsewhere on the internet:
    "Trips decides which celebrity death rumor we spread!""

With my dyslexia and seeing this comment at the bottom of my screen while I was scrolling I thought it said Ghost Dad for a second. I had an awesome vision of the North Korean version film.
  • Having Kim Jong Il's ghost kill him makes frightening amounts of sense.

In unrelated news, this shows up on page 2 if you google "Kim Jong Il Ghost"
  • edited February 2012
    It's actually chinese twitter rumors being translated and reported by Gawker.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Word from on high is that Kim Jong Un is still alive. Apparently the rumor was part of an attempt to disrupt South Korea's economy, not an assassination, but still slightly sinister.
  • I still think it was a plant from the Party that'll be used as "proof" that social media is a danger to public order and Chinese international relations and lead to further clampdowns on net freedom.
  • edited February 2012
    This article is interesting in light of Scrym's past discussions on encryption for legal purposes. It seems the court is doing something right when it comes to tech.
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/02/laptop-decryption-unconstitutional/?utm_source=Contextly&utm_medium=RelatedLinks&utm_campaign=MoreRecently
    Post edited by Jason on

Ghost Dog Movie poster.
    Relevant.
  • This article is interesting in light of Scrym's past discussions on encryption for legal purposes. It seems the court is doing something right when it comes to tech.
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/02/laptop-decryption-unconstitutional/?utm_source=Contextly&utm_medium=RelatedLinks&utm_campaign=MoreRecently
    There is some subtlety to this ruling, but I think they've got it mostly right. They are using the locked safe/file cabinet analogy here and I think that applies.

For example, you cannot be compelled to give up your encryption keys to your hard drive on the whim of law enforcement, as this ruling states. This flows in line with an encryption key being akin to the combination lock on a safe -- which you cannot be compelled to provide on a whim either.

However, if there is corroborating evidence that there is indeed illegal material on the hard drive (or the safe), then you can be compelled to reveal the key. An example would be a case where someone got legally obtained video of you stuffing incriminating documents into your safe. In that case, since law enforcement knows for sure there is evidence in said safe, they can then compel you to open it for them. Similarly, if law enforcement had a legally obtained wiretap where they hear you saying "yeah, I'm storing these incriminating records on my hard drive," you can also be compelled to hand over your encryption keys.

At least, that's how I've understood these rulings.
  • It doesn't hover, though, so it's just a board.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/02/mattel-reveals-back-to-the-future-hoverboards-for-sale/
    It would still be something awesome to hang on a wall, though.

Joel Kinnaman has been cast as the new Robocop.
  • He looks like a madman.
  • edited March 2012
    I reeeeally want them to make an anime omnibus DVD or some sort of high production value short anime based on Robocop. I think it would be perfect as anime, the subject material is there, and they could do like the Animatrix or the Batman shorts.
    Post edited by gomidog on

Ghost Dog Movie poster.
    Relevant.
    That could be his best review so far. (And that's a bold statement)
  • edited March 2012
    "Your First Amendment rights can be terminated," says raving Chicago police officer who arrests two TV journalists for reporting on the shooting of a little girl. They were legally in the public right-of-way.
    http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-chicago-police-detain-journalists-0317,0,5465087.story
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Court: You can't steal code. Screams heard coming from general area of RIAA.
    http://gizmodo.com/5901263/court-rules-it-is-impossible-to-steal-computer-code
  • Court: You can't steal code. Screams heard coming from general area of RIAA.
    http://gizmodo.com/5901263/court-rules-it-is-impossible-to-steal-computer-code
    I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure the guy still did illegal shit. Just not under that particular law, which says that something has to be tangible in order to be considered a stolen good. I don't know what the prosecution was thinking.
  • Fucking North Carolina bigots.
  • edited May 2012
    Now everyone will hate my state too. There are cool people here. :(
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Now everyone will hate my state too. There are cool people here. :(
    Not enough of them voted!
  • edited May 2012
    SquadronROE, you live in North Carolina, right? You have...guns...?
    Now everyone will hate my state too. There are cool people here. :(
    I'm sure that up to 40% of North Carolinians are really awesome people.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Can someone explain to me why state constitutions are capable in some situations to override the U.S. Constitutions, and in some scenarios not?

I'm pretty sure that there are some state constitutions which declare that public office can only be entrusted to christians, which is of course nullified by the fact that the U.S. constitution states that this can not be done. Shouldn't these marriage amendments be automatically voided by the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution?

Anyway, this is probably going to play out the way it did in California: It's going to be struck down by the courts. Also, the topic belongs in this thread.