This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doodling Supplies

Comments

• For geometric pattern doodling, I sometimes like using grid paper.
  • Write an algorithm to generate your doodles. No mess, and you can just have a monitor display them constantly and archive past doodles.

;^)
  • Algorithmic Doodle Generation is actually a really cool idea.

Also, Scott, the reason I suggested the Moleskine is because I use my doodlebooks more as Commonplace Books. I find them much more useful an aid to thinking than just doodling. Mine has pretty much everything: sprawling multipage doodles, recipes, floorplans for the house I'd like to build some day, note on games I want to design, little poems, lines of books or stories I might someday write, calculations, lab notes, ideas, equipment setups, notes on bikes, everything. It's a really great way to catch and record flitting thoughts that you might otherwise forget.

Also, Scott, the reason I suggested the Moleskine is because I use my doodlebooks more as Commonplace Books. I find them much more useful an aid to thinking than just doodling. Mine has pretty much everything: sprawling multipage doodles, recipes, floorplans for the house I'd like to build some day, note on games I want to design, little poems, lines of books or stories I might someday write, calculations, lab notes, ideas, equipment setups, notes on bikes, everything. It's a really great way to catch and record flitting thoughts that you might otherwise forget.
    Oh, wow. I don't know if I could do that. I have two moleskines, the small lined kind. They both have specific purposes, and I can't bring myself to mix it up randomly like that. Also, I doodle in such quantity that if I doodle in a commonplace book, it would be 99% doodles and would fill up in a week.
  • Ah, see, when I start a doodle, I use fine-tip pens (.1-.3mm) and just keep working at it and working at it until it's really complex and fills the page. To each his own, obviously; doodles aren't relaxing if done in someone else's style.

Also, Post-it page markers are handy to flag commonplaced ideas worth revisiting, but I'll agree (as a person who likes to keep separate things separate, myself) mixing everything up is a pretty big jump. However, after a while I discovered that reducing all the notebooks I had for my own notions to just one book really helped out my overall organization. At most, I now carry around four notebooks--Two moleskine Volants (one is chem lab notes, the other biochem notes), a red lab notebook (physics labwork), and the commonplace book.

Then again, I did have an english teacher who made commonplacing a graded element of her creative writing class, so I guess that explains why I could get over that initial difficulty in the first place.
    Make a Algorithmic Doodle Generator, add some music to it and you basically have a demo. Now you are ready for a demoparty.

• Buy a mechanical pencil o a fountain pen, DONE. The more crap you add, the more intimidated you will get, and the less you will do. Also, go for cheap copy paper pads as you will doubt yourself in fancy paper ones thinking that you might waste a really good piece of paper.
  • edited April 2012
    I don't think you guys really understand my doodling, so I took a picture.

Do you see why I want more colors, and I don't want fine point? I've already exhausted every possible combination of red/black/blue/pencil. I fill a few pages like this every week.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If color is the issue, try and get a bunch of colored pens. I like the Pentel Hi tech C pens. They come in a lot of colors and sizes.

If space is an issue you can get one of those kiddy multicolor clicky pens.
  • I know about Hi Tech C pens, but they are too pointy, scratchy and expensive. The full set is $40! The color variety is really great, though.
  • Prismacolor felt tips?
  • Prismacolor felt tips?
    $$$$$$
  • I have a request with detailed, impossible requirements that no one will be able to adequately fulfill.
  • I have a request with detailed, impossible requirements that no one will be able to adequately fulfill.
    This seems like it happens every time because I only ask questions when there are no easy answers on Google and such.

• edited April 2012
    Do you see why I want more colors, and I don't want fine point? I've already exhausted every possible combination of red/black/blue/pencil.
    Doubtful, although it depends on what you mean.

Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Derwent doesn't usually let me down. $18 for 24 artist-grade colors.

Good enough?
  • I know about Hi Tech C pens, but they are too pointy, scratchy and expensive. The full set is $40! The color variety is really great, though.
    I don't see how .5mm is too scratchy.

I don't see how .5mm is too scratchy.

I'm filling in a relatively large area. With .5mm it takes a looong time.

• edited April 2012
    Get a desk mat so you don't have to worry about bleeding and use Sharpies.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited April 2012
    I have a request with detailed, impossible requirements that no one will be able to adequately fulfill.
    Rym wins one internet!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Christ Scott, this is doodling, why are your requirements so crazy.
  • edited April 2012
    Just get a big box of Crayola colored pencils, crayons, or markers. It's not like doodles are lasting works of art that will sell for big moneys or be published somewhere.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Do you see why I want more colors, and I don't want fine point? I've already exhausted every possible combination of red/black/blue/pencil.
    To elaborate, what kind of combinations, and how many do you think there are?

• edited April 2012
    Christ Scott, this is doodling, why are your requirements so crazy.
    SRS BSNS
    Do you see why I want more colors, and I don't want fine point? I've already exhausted every possible combination of red/black/blue/pencil.
    To elaborate, what kind of combinations, and how many do you think there are?

Take a writing instrument. Draw a line that starts and ends in the same place without lifting it off the paper. The line may cross itself any number of times, but may not cross at a spot that that is already a cross. When you are done, you will be left with a shape which can be checkerboarded. That is to say you can alternate filling each area with a color, and no area will share a side with an area of the same color, though areas of the same color will share corners.

You can also use three colors. Color 1 for every area that has an outside edge. Color 2 for the inside areas that would normally have contained color 1. Color 3 in all the remaining areas.

You can also, of course, change the color you use for the original outline.

With four colors, and these patterns, I have exhausted every combination. There really aren't all that many since you aren't going to use the same color with itself.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2012
    With four colors, and these patterns, I have exhausted every combination. There really aren't all that many since you aren't going to use the same color with itself.
    What do you mean by that?
    Color 1 must be different from color 3?

In any case, the checkerboard requirement narrows things down a lot - I figured the only requirement would be that no area shares a side with an area of the same color.
  • Move into three dimensions.
  • With four colors, and these patterns, I have exhausted every combination. There really aren't all that many since you aren't going to use the same color with itself.
    What do you mean by that?
    Color 1 must be different from color 3?

No, there are two ways to checkerboard. The two color method, and the three color method. The two color method is basically the same as the three color, except colors 1 and 3 are the same color. Then multiply by four because there is a color for the outline. It is ok for the outline to match any of the other colors. It is not ok for colors 1 and 2 or 3 and 2 to be the same.
  • edited April 2012
    You said before that
    Color 2 for the inside areas that would normally have contained color 1. Color 3 in all the remaining areas.
    I guess you just changed your numbering around.

Can any of the colors be the same as the outline color?
  • Prismacolor felt tips?
    I tried those when I first got into using markers (since I love my prismacolor colored pencils so much) and I was very disappointed in the markers compared to others on the market.

• Charcoals