This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doodling Supplies

Comments

• Can any of the colors be the same as the outline color?
    It is ok for the outline to match any of the other colors.
  • Oil pastels.
  • Watercolors
  • edited April 2012
    I was inconsistent from post to post with numbering. In this picture 1 and 3 may match, but not 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. EDIT: I missed a 2 in the top right.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • Scott you should vary your doodles. Do something different. Or alternatively do the same thing, but bigger. In the last page picture all the doodles were small and boring. Instead of tiny little doodle on the corner of the paper do the same thing, but as big as you can fit to the paper. It takes longer to fill out and looks a lot better in the end.
  • Color by Numbers Advanced Edition by Scott Rubin
  • Also, note that you can use white (i.e. no coloring in) as a color - that gives you 5 colors to work with.
  • Also, note that you can use white (i.e. no coloring in) as a color - that gives you 5 colors to work with.
    The point is to occupy my hand.
  • You should really structure your graph coloring as a constraint satisfaction problem.
  • Scott "Wassily Kandinsky" Rubin.
  • Move to straight-line shapes.
  • edited April 2012
    Learn to draw a Klein bottle.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited April 2012
    Also, note that you can use white (i.e. no coloring in) as a color - that gives you 5 colors to work with.
    The tradeoff is worth it because although the doodles take less time individually, there's more than twice as many possibilites if you use white.

In any case, you're right that there's not many possibilities given your restrictive ruleset. The number of possible colorings is simply:
    4 choices for color 1
    3 choices for color 2 (cannot match color 1)
    3 choices for color 3 (cannot match color 2)
    4 choices for outline color
    =

With white, you get 5*4*4*4 = 320.

Of course, if you drop the requirement that it be a "checkerboard" (but still keep the requirement that areas sharing a face must be different colors), you have a heck of a lot more different ways of doing it.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If I'm going to doodle something different, it has to meet some conditions.

1) It has to be easy to draw, because I suck balls at drawing.
    2) It has to have nice outlined areas to fill in solidly, because the solid coloring is what allows me to color and work my hand out without thinking.
  • You make doodling so much less appealing than it should be.

Just get a MLP coloring book and crayons instead.
    Masterbation

• I think you guys are over-thinking Scott's doodles :P Scott possibly included in that.
  • Masterbation
    Masterbation

Even if you could get away with that at work, it is not something you can do all day every day, or intermittently.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2012

Even if you could get away with that at work, it is not something you can do all day every day, or intermittently.
    You lack commitment.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Colored pencils are your friend if you want width diversity, no bleeding, and a good variety of colors. It's incredibly easy to not get pencil shavings all over the place. Just use a sharpener that catches the shavings.

I don't understand why this is such a complicated subject. It's doodling, not fine art. You're mostly doing it for the tactile sensation and the mental diversion.
  • edited April 2012
    I don't understand why this is such a complicated subject. It's doodling, not fine art. You're mostly doing it for the tactile sensation and the mental diversion.
    Yeah, this is all a bit silly, really. Also, if Scott actually doodles as much as he claims, buying art supplies and notebooks or art paper instead of just using office stuff and printer paper is going to get quite expensive, quite fast.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I don't understand why this is such a complicated subject. It's doodling, not fine art. You're mostly doing it for the tactile sensation and the mental diversion.
    Yeah, this is all a bit silly, really. Also, if Scott actually doodles as much as he claims, buying art supplies and notebooks or art paper instead of just using office stuff and printer paper is going to get quite expensive, quite fast.
    A sketchbook completely filled with similar doodles will be quite impressive to leave for a person to find and go WTF?!
  • Then just go to your local office supply place and get their biggest and cheapest sketchpad and some Crayola colored pencils, dude.
  • Look how big dis forum topic is.
    Masterbation

• Even if you could get away with that at work, it is not something you can do all day every day, or intermittently.
    You lack commitment.
    The answer is to obviously get an office. On a floor no one else is on.

2) It has to have nice outlined areas to fill in solidly, because the solid coloring is what allows me to color and work my hand out without thinking.
    So, why the checkerboard?

It's just what my hand draws when I'm not thinking.

It's just what my hand draws when I'm not thinking.
    I don't mean the shape, I mean the coloring of the shape.