This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doodling Supplies

124»

Comments

• Get something with which to fiddle. Hand exerciser. Learn pen spinning or that coin walk mobsters do.
  • Get something with which to fiddle. Hand exerciser. Learn pen spinning or that coin walk mobsters do.
    I have the hand exerciser. It's not working. I've squeezed it so much, my grip is still mad weak.

• Yeah, you can totally be like Shadow and learn how to move coins along your fingers, but pen twirling is fun.
  • Scott, why not get a deck of cards and practice some simple manipulation or sleight of hand? That seems up your alley. Maybe work on learning Walter Irving Scott's Second Deal?
  • Scott, why not get a deck of cards and practice some simple manipulation or sleight of hand? That seems up your alley. Maybe work on learning Walter Irving Scott's Second Deal?
    Requires thinking.
  • Learning the trick would. Shuffles, cuts, and flares really don't.
  • edited April 2012
    Scott, why not get a deck of cards and practice some simple manipulation or sleight of hand? That seems up your alley. Maybe work on learning Walter Irving Scott's Second Deal?
    Requires thinking.
    Simple card moves don't require thinking. I'll sometimes practice them when I just want something to fidget with, I'm trying to practice the moves to make a move that's essentially a bottom deal into a tenkai palm and ditch, with a false deal after. Don't think about broader magic tricks, they do require some thought, you just want simple moves that make the trick work, which require no more thought than reading about them once or twice(or maybe watching a demo video) so you can figure out what to do.

And no, I don't cheat at cards, and yes, I'm still shit at cards. A few simple card manipulations can't make up for that.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Like I said last night, real art supplies cost money. Get some Crayola fine-tipped coloring markers, and you should be good to go. They are cheap, but a good balance between fine and wide.
  • Apreche said:

If I'm going to doodle something different, it has to meet some conditions.

1) It has to be easy to draw, because I suck balls at drawing.
    2) It has to have nice outlined areas to fill in solidly, because the solid coloring is what allows me to color and work my hand out without thinking.

Cubes, rectangular prisms, pyramids, and cylinders?
  • For doodling, any working ball point pen is all you need. Using anything more and you're no longer 'doodling' IMO.

Even adding colour. Use hatching or shading.
    Hethalos said:

Apreche said:

If I'm going to doodle something different, it has to meet some conditions.

1) It has to be easy to draw, because I suck balls at drawing.
    2) It has to have nice outlined areas to fill in solidly, because the solid coloring is what allows me to color and work my hand out without thinking.

Cubes, rectangular prisms, pyramids, and cylinders?
    Yeh, draw primitives. You can make it interesting by varying the shading (lighting) with very little effort.

Have abit more fun by cutting/ intersecting etc.

• So Sketchbook pro is obvs an amazing app for the digital doodles and arts, but I have been recently enamored with Mischief which packs a lot of punch for a $25 multiplatform desktop app.

I'm using a surface pro, so I don't have access to the cool & free iOS adobe sketch & ink *sadness*. A lot of windows desktop programs have terrible interfaces for touchscreen with teeny buttons and sliders. While not quite sketchbook level flow or features, I don't find the Mischief UI getting in the way of work, and the simplicity can be refreshing when you don't need bells and whistles. The program is also a raster-vector hybrid, with infinite zoomability and a unique approach to canvas that abandons the limitations of physical media.
  • I use the hell out of Mischief!

The infinite zoom/arbitrary scale is great for my day-to-day notetaking and UI sketches.
  • I use Adobe Sketch with my magic pencil on my giant iPad.
  • I bought Pokemon Art Academy after reading some good reviews. I kinda doubt it's actually making me better at drawing but it's hella fun. Maybe not $30 fun though...