This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Avengers (with spoilers)

Comments

• "Low-budget" and, "Dr. Strange" do not belong in the same sentence.
  • edited May 2012
    That's simply ridiculous.
    I'm just going off of what Wikipedia says.
    "Low-budget" and, "Dr. Strange" do not belong in the same sentence.
    Their definition of "lower-budget" is 20-40 million dollars, so it's definitely not cheap, it's just not the 140 million it took to make the first Captain America film.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Still, Dr. Strange has no business being a "low budget" film. All the crazy stuff that makes Dr. Strange Dr. Strange would cost a pretty penny.
  • Still, Dr. Strange has no business being a "low budget" film. All the crazy stuff that makes Dr. Strange Dr. Strange would cost a pretty penny.
    What villain would you get? Baron Mordo could be done by another actor, but everyone else (Dormammu, Shuma) would require CGI. And I think we would want that for the magical side of things. However, I only doubt that how well it would go considered other Space-Focused Superhero Films like Green Lantern and Fantastic Four have done bad AND had notorious special effects issues.

• That's simply ridiculous.
    I'm just going off of what Wikipedia says.
    I understand, I just mean that their plans are ridiculous in scope.

• Have they announced whether the new Fantastic Four film will be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? That could be amusing.
    What villain would you get? Baron Mordo could be done by another actor, but everyone else (Dormammu, Shuma) would require CGI. And I think we would want that for the magical side of things. However, I only doubt that how well it would go considered other Space-Focused Superhero Films like Green Lantern and Fantastic Four have done bad AND had notorious special effects issues.

To be fair, Green Lantern and Fantastic Four had a host of other issues...

• edited May 2012
    The Dr. Strange I have in my mind is the old Steve Ditko comics. Those would best be a cartoon or expensive movie because Ditko drew some crazy shit.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Coulson is dead, but -- like in the comic books -- Nick Fury has a clone of him in his secret bunker of clones of everyone in the Marvel universe.

/sarcasm
    He has an LMD of Coulson. I geeked out a bit when Stark mentioned LMDs in the movie.

Is Thanos too obscure a character to be of interest to the general public. I was talking to a general public-type guy the other day and he got the Thanos reference, so maybe he's not too obscure, after all.
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, a low budget Dr. Strange movie would absolutely not work unless they want to make it intentionally cheesy, which could kind of work as a stand-alone film, but not as part of the MCU. Also, intentionally cheesy films tend to not do remarkably well as some people do not get cheese.

I would love to see a big-budget one with him constantly channeling the powers of various Elder Beings, but Dr. Strange is a pretty damn obscure character to the vast majority of the public. If Iron Man was party of the Marvel B Team before his movie, Dr. Strange is probably part of the D or E team.

Is Thanos too obscure a character to be of interest to the general public. I was talking to a general public-type guy the other day and he got the Thanos reference, so maybe he's not too obscure, after all.
    The Infinity Gauntlet storyline (which is definitely what they have been setting up) is a very well known storyline, so it doesn't surprise me that some people in the general public have heard of him.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on

• Is Thanos too obscure a character to be of interest to the general public. I was talking to a general public-type guy the other day and he got the Thanos reference, so maybe he's not too obscure, after all.
    The Infinity Gauntlet storyline (which is definitely what they have been setting up) is a very well known storyline, so it doesn't surprise me that some people in the general public have heard of him.
    Steve apparently hasn't heard of him. See Comments above.

• The story they've used in the comics to replace old nick fury with black, Sam Jackson looking Nick Fury was some goddamn silly bullshit.
  • I thought black Fury was only in the Ultimate universe. What replacement story are you talking about?
  • Battle Scars

In 2012, the six part series Battle Scars introduces Nick Fury's secret son, Sgt. Marcus Johnson who is an African American, and ends up losing one eye in the series.[39] The character has been described as looking like Samuel L. Jackson, just as the Nick Fury of the Ultimate Universe does.[40][41] Nick Fury retires at the end of the series, and his son takes over his job as head of S.H.I.E.L.D. Johnson changes his name to his original birth name of Nick Fury, as he and Agent Coulson appear on the Helicarrier in the final page.[42]

Huh I guess they did. Well it makes sense that Nick Fury has to retire, because dear god, he served in World war II and he was pretty old then!

Still wondering how Magneto and Xavier are still looking good as well as they were old dudes in the 60's...
  • Mutant DNA something something.
  • edited May 2012
    Have they announced whether the new Fantastic Four film will be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? That could be amusing.
    The FF kinda got kicked out of the MCU when they cast the guy who played Johnny Storm as Cap. They could get a reboot, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. Which is a shame, because for all of Avengers I was thinking "If they need a gamma expert, where's Reed?"
    Huh I guess they did. Well it makes sense that Nick Fury has to retire, because dear god, he served in World war II and he was pretty old then!
    That was usually explained using the Infinity Mcguffin (don't remember if it was a theorem or a solution or whatever) which sped him up to his 50s but he would no longer age.
    Still wondering how Magneto and Xavier are still looking good as well as they were old dudes in the 60's...
    It's traditional of comics to change their characters as time passes. The common notion of Superman is that he crash landed in Kansas sometime in the 50s...

...20 years after Action Comics #1 was written.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Sony owns the movie rights to Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, which is why you won't see them at all in Avengers crossovers, at least until the rights expire or are renegotiated.
  • edited May 2012
    I think it'd be totally awesome if Coulson was always a LMD, and there's just iteration after iteration of Coulson LMDs so Fury always has a man he can trust, sort of like Dune's Duncan Idaho. You could even make a case for him being programmed to be a Cap fanboy to be the perfect tool to reintegrate Cap in the event that they found him.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Sony owns the movie rights to Fantastic Four and Spider-Man, which is why you won't see them at all in Avengers crossovers, at least until the rights expire or are renegotiated.
    This is what I heard. Disney bought Marvel. Sony has FF and Spider-Man movies. Fox has X-Men movies. Marvel/Disney wanted to just do the movies themselves and take it back. Sony/Fox get to keep the rights for the full length until expiration as long as they continue to actually make movies at a certain rate. That is why they are cranking out Spider-Man, FF, and X-Men movies no matter how crappy or half-assed, just to retain the rights.
  • Yep. They make a lot of money with those rights right now, I don't think they intend to give them up anytime soon.
  • Eeyup.
  • edited May 2012
    As fucked up and ridiculous the Marvel comic book film license situation is, I think it actually works to the benefit. Less overcrowding and less convoluted continuity problems for the Marvel film universe. At least everybody will know who is making the good stuff and who is making the bad stuff. And Namor can go fuck himself for all I care.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • As fucked up and ridiculous the Marvel comic book film license situation is, I think it actually works to the benefit. Less overcrowding and less convoluted continuity problems for the Marvel film universe. At least everybody will know who is making the good stuff and who is making the bad stuff.
    Nobody other than nerds even knows who makes what.
  • Okay, let me rephrase that since Scott likes to play pedant: Everybody who cares will know at first glance who is making the good stuff and who is making the bad stuff.
  • What are the chances of seeing the gray Hulk on film?
  • Probably never. Most people won't understand it/associate the Hulk with green.
  • I can finally enter this thread!!!! :D
  • I want them to do a whole movie about all the different Hulks. Blue, Red, Gray, all of them. It would be a comedy, obviously, whether it wanted to be or not.
  • I can finally enter this thread!!!! :D
    What'd you think of the film, Nuri?