This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Cards Against Humanity and Real Money Auction Houses

Comments

• I thought the Steam sale was tomorrow? Who knows! I don't think I bought anything during the last one. I think I can hold back on this new one as well.
    The most common numbers I've heard at the first(random guess), the Fourth(makes sense) and the 15th(supposedly leaked by an indie developer).

• Ingredients of Hebrew National Fat Free Beef Franks - no sugar.

NGREDIENTS: Beef, Water, Modified Food Starch (Ingredient in Excess of Amount Permitted in Regular Beef Franks), Contains 2% or Less of Flavorings, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Paprika, Potassium Chloride, Potassium and Sodium Lactate, Salt, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.
    They may also be not so kosher.
    Ok, so there's no problem wrapping that shit in bacon strips.
  • This is why consoles will always be inferior.

They will NEVER have the breadth or depth of games that PC has, nor will it give to freedom to pursue niche games.
    They're catching up generation by generation. But you're right, brutally more expensive option will always have perks. No doubt about it.

Me, I have two kids, chronic health issues, pets, a house, and a middle class salary. I don't have enough disposable income right now to rejoin the Grand PC Gaming Master Race. :-)

• Guys, you only need a mega powerful PC to play the newest crazy hotness insane games. The overwhelming majority of PC games will work just fine on old cheap hardware. My desktop has a Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs of ram, and a GeForce GTX 460. I paid $800 for it, but you can get one now for probably less than $500, or even less than $400. It will play every game at full frames that isn't the absolute newest hotness or some crazy realistic simulator. Also, if you put the settings all the way down, you probably can play those new games and post some screenshots in that thread.
  • Guys, you only need a mega powerful PC to play the newest crazy hotness insane games. The overwhelming majority of PC games will work just fine on old cheap hardware. My desktop has a Core 2 Duo, 4 gigs of ram, and a GeForce GTX 460. I paid $800 for it, but you can get one now for probably less than $500, or even less than $400. It will play every game at full frames that isn't the absolute newest hotness or some crazy realistic simulator. Also, if you put the settings all the way down, you probably can play those new games and post some screenshots in that thread.
    I already have a laptop that can play older games on ugly settings. Why would I put hundreds of euros to only a marginal upgrade? If and when I get myself a new PC it will run games pretty and play full-HD videos smoothly. Otherwise there is just no point in getting new.

• How Hot Dogs are Made
    Corn-syrup adds a dash of sweetness.
    WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE. IT'S A HOT DOG, NOT FUCKING CANDY. IS THERE ANYTHING IN THE US THAT DOESN'T GET PUMPED FULL WITH CORN SYRUP? FUCKING HELL, WHY WOULD YOU RUIN HOT DOGS THAT WAY.
    You'd be surprised - a small amount of sugar helps balance strong flavors. And lots of sausages have sugar in them - all salamis, for example, have some sugar. I just made some landjaeger two days ago - it calls for dextrose, which helps your starter culture to grow and acidify the sausage.

Ingredients of Hebrew National Fat Free Beef Franks - no sugar.

NGREDIENTS: Beef, Water, Modified Food Starch (Ingredient in Excess of Amount Permitted in Regular Beef Franks), Contains 2% or Less of Flavorings, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Paprika, Potassium Chloride, Potassium and Sodium Lactate, Salt, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.
    And? There are sausages other than your Jew-dogs. :)

Bacon usually has sugar in it.
  • PC gaming is doubly as expensive as console gaming. PC gamers keep trying to spin this as a choice of quality when it's almost never true.

Anyway, I prefer my nice wireless gamepad, on my reclined couch, in front of my giant TV.

Yes, I could hook up my PC to the TV. No, it's not just as convenient.
  • PC gaming is doubly as expensive as console gaming. PC gamers keep trying to spin this as a choice of quality when it's almost never true.
    The day I can plug a keyboard and mouse into my xbox is the day I stop pc gaming. However, all the manufacturers seem hell bent on making sure this never happens.
    The day I can plug a keyboard and mouse into my xbox is the day I stop pc gaming. However, all the manufacturers seem hell bent on making sure this never happens.
    I definitely agree that a mouse or trackball controller is sorely needed on consoles. Why this is such a point of contention among manufacturers, I'll never know. I do know that Microsoft has had a religious zeal regarding NOT having the XBOX be a PC since its inception, with no real reasoning behind it.
  • I prefer not paying for the privilege to play games online with my friends. Every year.
  • Hebrew National Fat Free Beef Franks - no sugar.
    Best Hot Dog. Period.

• I prefer not paying for the privilege to play games online with my friends. Every year.
    That $4/month I pay for superior (and uniform! consistent!) matchmaking and social networking features designed for and built into (and around) my games, that works the same way for every game, every time, predictably, sure chaps my ass! I'd much rather amortize the additional incremental cost of a gaming PC over the course of a year.... oh no wait that'd be like $30-50/month for the privilege of joining the PC Gaming Master Race. Nevermind. :-)
  • The day I get a TV with HDMI is the day that I stop non-Nintendo console gaming.
  • Yeah, how come TV price is never included in the debate re: console gaming? How much did your big screen cost? Bet it cost more than my entire PC rig by itself.
  • Yeah, how come TV price is never included in the debate re: console gaming? How much did your big screen cost? Bet it cost more than my entire PC rig by itself.
    Uhhh... because a television is not a device solely used for gaming...? Seriously? You don't get this?
  • edited June 2012
    My PC is not a device solely used for gaming... In fact I can be a hell of a lot more productive with my PC than you can be with your TV.
    Post edited by Andrew on
    I use my TV as a secondary screen on my laptop and it gets more use like that as it gets as a part of my console gaming.

• My PC is not a device solely used for gaming... In fact I can be a hell of a lot more productive with my PC than you can be with your TV.
    Yes but there are far more productivity options than there are "visual entertainment" options on the market, for lack of better terms. I have an appliance PC for my productivity. It suits me fine and even the incremental cost over that to make it a gaming PC would have been more than I spent on my console.
  • edited June 2012
    I have an appliance PC for my productivity. It suits me fine and even the incremental cost over that to make it a gaming PC would have been more than I spent on my console + TV.
    Bullshit. Still waiting to hear on how much you spent on your TV.

Post edited by Andrew on
  • Starch is a carbohydrate, but is not sugar. It's a whole bunch of sugar all combined.
    That was addressed.
    It's all part of the Republican plan - no birth control for women ensures they stay pregnant, keeping the corn syrup flowing. It's all part of the grand invasion plan of the stalkers from Cornulon Alpha.

Shit. I've said too much.
    GASP! I must liberate the shit out of you people with my European ideals of drugs and whores. Okay, maybe Dutch ideals. You wouldn't mind, would you?

• I have an appliance PC for my productivity. It suits me fine and even the incremental cost over that to make it a gaming PC would have been more than I spent on my console + TV.
    Indeed, it is bullshit. TV costs $1000 minimum Add console, $1300. Super awesome PC is $800, Dell Ultrasharp monitor is $500.

Also, there is no inconvenience in hooking up PC to TV. Also, I use wireless XBox controllers and wired NES controllers and wired USB/XBox fighting joystick with my HTPC.
  • I have an appliance PC for my productivity. It suits me fine and even the incremental cost over that to make it a gaming PC would have been more than I spent on my console + TV.

Again, if I used my TV solely for gaming or productivity, you'd have a point. Since it's used for passive entertainment by every member of my household, you can't count its full cost as part of the gaming package with any credibility.

• edited June 2012
    It's all part of the Republican plan - no birth control for women ensures they stay pregnant, keeping the corn syrup flowing. It's all part of the grand invasion plan of the stalkers from Cornulon Alpha.

Shit. I've said too much.

GASP! I must liberate the shit out of you people with my European ideals of drugs and whores. Okay, maybe Dutch ideals. You wouldn't mind, would you?

Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Indeed, it is bullshit. TV costs $1000 minimum Add console, $1300. Super awesome PC is $800, Dell Ultrasharp monitor is $500.

Also, there is no inconvenience in hooking up PC to TV. Also, I use wireless XBox controllers and wired NES controllers and wired USB/XBox fighting joystick with my HTPC.
    Seriously? How the fuck are televisions there so expensive? I just can't believe that you can't get TV in US for under $1000.

Nothing. It was a gift from the Grandparents :P.
  • Indeed, it is bullshit. TV costs $1000 minimum Add console, $1300. Super awesome PC is $800, Dell Ultrasharp monitor is $500.

Seriously? How the fuck are televisions there so expensive? I just can't believe that you can't get TV in US for under $1000.

You can, but then it adds up to less than the desired number.

• Combined with the fact that you can literally stock up on a year's worth of games via Steam at 50-75% off twice a year, I think whatever overhead remains PC still wins out as the more economical option.

You can, but it won't be a very good one. At the TvH house, we have a $300 TV we bought because the parents wanted Netflix streaming in their room. It's something like 10" and useful only for watching TV and movies in that room. It does have HDMI, but because of the location it would be such a pain in the ass to actually hook a computer up to it that it wouldn't be worth it.

You can, but then it adds up to less than the desired number.

Well, I was comparing the best monitor, so I figured I should compare an equally good TV.
  • edited June 2012
    Combined with the fact that you can literally stock up on a year's worth of games via Steam at 50-75% off twice a year, I think whatever overhead remains PC still wins out as the more economical option.
    I think it depends. For me spending little money on gaming, every now and then is easier than getting the money needed for good gaming PC. And before I can get good Gaming PC Steam sales and other good points of PC gaming are meaningless.

Also I buy most of the xobx games 50-75% off already.
    Post edited by Apsup on