This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Cards Against Humanity and Real Money Auction Houses

Comments

• Our TV was $1500, but we got it with a tax refund and it's used by every member of the family. I'd never have been able to justify that purchase as solely a gaming device or even a two-purpose device. It's used for entertaining the toddler in the mornings, gaming in the evenings, movie night, etc etc etc. It's a central appliance in our home.

(It's sweet, too. Samsung LED. Drool worthy. We got a deal.)
  • you can't count its full cost as part of the gaming package with any credibility.
    Aaaaaaaand you seem to miss the point being made that you are counting the full cost of a gaming-capable PC rig even though it will also be used by the whole family for other, productive, things.
  • Combined with the fact that you can literally stock up on a year's worth of games via Steam at 50-75% off twice a year, I think whatever overhead remains PC still wins out as the more economical option.
    I think it depends. For me spending little money on gaming, every now and then is easier than getting the money needed for good gaming PC. And before I can get good Gaming PC Steam sales and other good points of PC gaming are meaningless.

You have a computer right now. You are posting on this forum with it. There are tons of Steam games that can be played on your PC. How about some Recettear? Rainslick Precipice 1,2,3? You can probably play every Valve game. My Pentium 3 450Mhz was playing Half-Life 2. That include Counter-Strike. That's the only PC game you need, so you should be all set.
  • you can't count its full cost as part of the gaming package with any credibility.
    Aaaaaaaand you seem to miss the point being made that you are counting the full cost of a gaming-capable PC rig even though it will also be used by the whole family for other, productive, things.
    Wait, as a geek, you share your computer with your whole family? Seriously? Who does this except soccer moms and non-technical dads? Everybody in my house has their own computer on their own desk.

Wait, as a geek, you share your computer with your whole family? Seriously? Who does this except soccer moms and non-technical dads? Everybody in my house has their own computer on their own desk.

And you're telling us its wasteful to get a PC for the TV!
  • Your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawls, now I gotta write a newsletter. To much hassle, here have an invite to the Netherlands. You may come over if you desire and sample our whores. I mean, wares.
  • Oh I see, so not only are you railing on PC gaming being expensive, but you then tell us that you purchase a computer for EVERY member in your house in addition to your super expensive TV.
  • Wait, as a geek, you share your computer with your whole family? Seriously? Who does this except soccer moms and non-technical dads? Everybody in my house has their own computer on their own desk.
    Yup, I share my computer with every person living in my household. All me of them.

Quite amusing to see your comments go from "OMG I DO NOT HAVE THE DISPOSABLE INCOME!" to "OMG EVERY BODY HAS THEIR OWN COMPUTER, ANYTHING ELSE IS CRAZY!" What did great men of times past call it again? Oh yeah, moving goal posts or something like that. Does that apply here? I think it does. If it doesn't, eh, the comments are still hilariously counter to each other.
  • Combined with the fact that you can literally stock up on a year's worth of games via Steam at 50-75% off twice a year, I think whatever overhead remains PC still wins out as the more economical option.
    I think it depends. For me spending little money on gaming, every now and then is easier than getting the money needed for good gaming PC. And before I can get good Gaming PC Steam sales and other good points of PC gaming are meaningless.

You have a computer right now. You are posting on this forum with it. There are tons of Steam games that can be played on your PC. How about some Recettear? Rainslick Precipice 1,2,3? You can probably play every Valve game. My Pentium 3 450Mhz was playing Half-Life 2. That include Counter-Strike. That's the only PC game you need, so you should be all set.
    Yes, I do play computer games, but I have limited options. I know that I'm able to play any xbox 360 game there is no need to wonder if my box can run it or not, it can. I play on PC, but 360 has enabled me to play games that I can't play on PC. I have Saint's Row 2 and Just Cause 2 on Steam, both unplayable on my laptop, but got them on my xbox and they are perfectly playable.

Yes, I do play computer games, but I have limited options. I know that I'm able to play any xbox 360 game there is no need to wonder if my box can run it or not, it can. I play on PC, but 360 has enabled me to play games that I can't play on PC. I have Saint's Row 2 and Just Cause 2 on Steam, both unplayable on my laptop, but got them on my xbox and they are perfectly playable.

I see the root of your problem. You want to play crappy games like Saints' Row 2 and Just Cause 2.
  • I see the root of your problem. You want to play crappy games like Saints' Row 2 and Just Cause 2.
    We could make this another little talk about our opinions about games, but I would rather watch some Justice League right now, maybe do some laundry later, so should we reschedule this for some other day?

• I see the root of your problem. You want to play crappy games like Saints' Row 2 and Just Cause 2Counter-Strike.
    FTFY. No need to thank me.
  • I see the root of your problem. You want to play crappy games like Saints' Row 2 and Just Cause 2.
    We could make this another little talk about our opinions about games, but I would rather watch some Justice League right now, maybe do some laundry later, so should we reschedule this for some other day?

You can always opt out of a conversation. Someone else can cover your shift.

You can always opt out of a conversation. Someone else can cover your shift.
    Hell no, don't look at me. I've already done my time with this stupid Scott Argument.

• Counter-Strike or GTFO (I haven't played CS in months)
  • Wait, as a geek, you share your computer with your whole family? Seriously? Who does this except soccer moms and non-technical dads? Everybody in my house has their own computer on their own desk.
    Yup, I share my computer with every person living in my household. All me of them.

Quite amusing to see your comments go from "OMG I DO NOT HAVE THE DISPOSABLE INCOME!" to "OMG EVERY BODY HAS THEIR OWN COMPUTER, ANYTHING ELSE IS CRAZY!" What did great men of times past call it again? Oh yeah, moving goal posts or something like that. Does that apply here? I think it does. If it doesn't, eh, the comments are still hilariously counter to each other.
    Mac Minis are cheap. Tax refunds are nice. When I was a PC gamer, I upgraded my rig every 6 months to keep it current with the releases. I couldn't do that now.
  • Counter-Strike or GTFO (I haven't played CS in months)
    As soon as FRCF-server does comeback, not before.

Mac Minis are cheap. Tax refunds are nice. When I was a PC gamer, I upgraded my rig every 6 months to keep it current with the releases. I couldn't do that now.
    It's stupid to do that ever. I update my desktop PC every 5 years, and I can play any of the latest releases with confidence.
  • It's stupid to do that ever. I update my desktop PC every 5 years, and I can play any of the latest releases with confidence.
    Then PC gaming has slowed down, because that wasn't the case last time I was "current".
  • edited June 2012
    GTFO
    You tried that before. I'm still here playing with my PENIS.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • It's stupid to do that ever. I update my desktop PC every 5 years, and I can play any of the latest releases with confidence.
    Then PC gaming has slowed down, because that wasn't the case last time I was "current".
    Been doing it since 1999.
  • Then PC gaming has slowed down, because that wasn't the case last time I was "current".
    No, that was never the case. Also, Mac Minis are not cheap if you think you cannot afford a gaming-capable computer.
    Been doing it since 1999.
    Then you have a different definition of "with confidence" or "new release" than I do. :) How about Crysis? Far Cry 2? Heck, Doom 3. Are you going to argue that those aren't worth paying attention to? :)

The game that broke the bank for me was Oblivion. I couldn't run it without huge reductions in view distance. To the point that I had no idea there was a riverbank across the water from the hovel you could buy outside the capital. The choice was an upgrade for around $600 or a console. Been console gaming since.
  • Then PC gaming has slowed down, because that wasn't the case last time I was "current".
    No, that was never the case. Also, Mac Minis are not cheap if you think you cannot afford a gaming-capable computer.
    They are when you buy last year's discontinued model on Amazon every 5-6 years.

• They are when you buy last year's discontinued model on Amazon every 5-6 years.
    Amazon.com, "mac mini previous", wow, $400, with Apple selling the new ones for $600. And unlike the former, the latter is not used.
  • edited June 2012
    They are when you buy last year's discontinued model on Amazon every 5-6 years.
    Amazon.com, "mac mini previous", wow, $400, with Apple selling the new ones for $600. And unlike the former, the latter is not used.
    Link? The Mac minis I am seeing on Amazon are $500ish used. Same with eBay unless you want the piece of shit Mac mini that we had.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'll be the guy to say that Scott got some details of the RMAH wrong. It's not really relevant to the discussion "in general" though. The biggest detail is that you cannot buy "gold" directly (you have to buy it through the commodities AH, which is currently disabled anyway, which involves a 3rd party - not blizzard), the 15% paypal wall, and that you can spend "Blizzard Bucks" in the "Blizzard Store" etc.

Actually another random minor interesting thing we didn't bring up in the last thread is the gray market for "Blizzard Bucks" essentially. Because you pay $1 to blizzard to move the money, but 15% to cash out, there may be some threshold where money in the store is worth less to cash out than it's real world value.

Example:

I have $100 in my battle.net account from selling items to other players.
    If I cash it out, I get $85.
    If someone else were to pay me $90 via the gray market, I could buy an item from them for $100. They would thus get $99 blizzard bucks.
    This is better for me because I get $90 instead of $85. This is better for them because they get $99 blizzard bucks for $90 instead of paying $99.
  • Link?
    JESUS FUCK I GAVE THE INSTRUCTIONS A WHOLE FUCKING POST AGO.
    Those $400 ones aren't the previous mac mini. They are the piece of shit mac mini that we had.