This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• How dare they rule that its constitutional for poor/cripple people have the right to good health?! >O
    I know! It's my right to die from an untreated sinus infection by god!
    I'd be fine with that if it didn't cost anyone else any money.

But that's not the case.

• Apple has succeeded in getting it's import ban on samsung android devices and a judge ruled that web sites have to abide by the ADA.

What is in the water these days?
  • Apple has succeeded in getting it's import ban on samsung android devices and a judge ruled that web sites have to abide by the ADA.

What is in the water these days?
    Really? I'm pretty sure it failed here.

• edited June 2012
    They got the injunction before the case starts proper and put down £64m to cover damages if Samsung wins but damn.. being able to disrupt someone that badly may be worth the money win or lose.

Especially as Apple and Microsoft are mainly trying to de-legitimize Android due to it being tied so closely to Linux.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited July 2012
    Why would Microsoft want to de-legimize Android? They make $5 for every Android device sold.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Why would Microsoft want to de-legimize Android? They make $5 for every Android device sold.
    How much do they make per WP7 device? How much of the Android market share do they think they can get if Android goes away?

• Why would Microsoft want to de-legimize Android? They make $5 for every Android device sold.
    How much do they make per WP7 device? How much of the Android market share do they think they can get if Android goes away?

However if I was a person who wants all of the monies I would go after the iOS platform since I am not getting anything from them. Sure WP7 is going to get me more money, but to have a slice of some money is better then no money at all.
  • One million new Android devices activate daily. Most people don't really know that WP7 is even an option. No one can hope to stop Android now; they can merely hope to compete.
  • One million new Android devices activate daily.
    Which is $5 million they are getting for doing absolutely nothing, I wish I could get something like that.
  • One million new Android devices activate daily. Most people don't really know that WP7 is even an option. No one can hope to stop Android now; they can merely hope to compete.
    WP7 is a lame duck anyway. None of the existing WP7 hardware will run WP8 (which is based on the same kernel as Windows 8).
  • In related news:the Miami face-eater was on pot, not bath salts. This is more evidence that it's a cult like I had thought.
  • In related news:the Miami face-eater was on pot, not bath salts. This is more evidence that it's a cult like I had thought.
    Real doc with the scoop. Tl;dr: there isn't an easy explanation. Read the article.
  • In related news:the Miami face-eater was on pot,
    Great, now that will be an argument the right will use against legalization. Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us, face-eating dude.

Real doc with the scoop. Tl;dr: there isn't an easy explanation. Read the article.
    Fixed link
  • COLUMBUS (AP) — Authorities have charged a 14-year-old Columbus boy in the fatal shooting of his friend during a sleepover earlier this month.

The Columbus Dispatch reports that the child was charged Thursday with delinquency counts of reckless homicide in the death of 14-year-old Noah McGuire on July 5.

Court filings say it happened during a Fourth of July sleepover at the home of the grandparents of the boy charged in the shooting. The boy told police he found an unsecured gun in the house and unintentionally shot his friend. Noah was pronounced dead shortly after paramedics arrived.

The boy’s grandmother, who has legal custody of him, was out shopping at the time. Noah’s mother said she doesn’t believe that the boy should face any charges.
  • No matter what you think of gun control, two people should be charged with a crime here. First, the 14-year-old (tried as a juvenile, not an adult) for reckless homicide. The second would be the grandparents for failing to properly secure the gun.
  • No matter what you think of gun control, two people should be charged with a crime here. First, the 14-year-old (tried as a juvenile, not an adult) for reckless homicide. The second would be the grandparents for failing to properly secure the gun.
    We have no information as to where the firearm was, how it was "un-secured", and what if any instruction the 14 year old had in regards to it.

We should hold judgement until we have all the facts. It's a tragedy regardless as to how it happened, but we shouldn't condemn folks we don't now based on vague reports and knee jerk reactions.

• The fact is the kid should have have been able to access the gun unsupervised. Someone fucked up if the kid did in fact access the gun unsupervised.
  • Question: If a gun were properly stored in a locked gun cabinet with a trigger lock, unloaded, and with ammunition kept in a separate place, wouldn't that make the gun totally useless for self-defense in a home invasion scenario?
    http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/04/26/how-to-store-guns-safely-in-your-home/
  • Yeah I was just wondering what counts as "properly" storing a gun. People are quick to blame the parents, so I wonder if any amount of precaution is negated if a kid gets it at all. Also at what age is it okay to blame the kid? A 14 yr old is certainly smart enough to get the gun from a hiding spot or safe (maybe by snooping and getting the combo/key) and possibly load it. So many factors..
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah I was just wondering what counts as "properly" storing a gun. People are quick to blame the parents, so I wonder if any amount of precaution is negated if a kid gets it at all. Also at what age is it okay to blame the kid? A 14 yr old is certainly smart enough to get the gun from a hiding spot or safe (maybe by snooping and getting the combo/key) and possibly load it. So many factors..
    That's why you tell the kid what the gun is and teach him about how to safely handle it. You don't have to teach him how to shoot it, just how not to kill someone. If the grandparents are guilty of anything it's in not properly instructing their child.

Don't start in on him being too young either. You can teach a child gun safety at 5 years old (I learned to shoot when I was 8). A 14year old can, despite youthful stupidity, be taught how not to accidentally shoot someone.

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • RymRym
    edited July 2012
    http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/guns.htm

One interesting note there on accidental gun deaths of children: "...preschoolers aged 0-4 were 17 times more likely to die from a gun accident in the 4 states with the most guns versus the 4 states with the least guns. Likewise, school kids aged 5-14 were over 13 times more at risk of accidental firearm death in the states with high gun ownership rates."

In terms of kids getting access:

"A number of studies [9], [10], [11], [12], suggest that even kids who are trained not to touch guns can't resist, and that parents have unrealistic expectations about their kids' behavior around guns. That's why parents are encouraged to keep guns unloaded and locked separately from ammunition , and to ask about guns at the houses where their children play."

If you want something more juicy, check this study out:
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/105/4/888.full

One quote from the findings:

"The AAP affirms that the most effective measure to prevent firearm-related injuries to children and adolescents is the absence of guns from homes and communities." This is inclusive of the reciprocal danger of violence against children in an unarmed home.

From the summary:

"the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)* has reviewed the current medical research on the subject and concluded that if you have children, it is safer not to have a gun in your home"
    Post edited by Rym on

• That's why you tell the kid what the gun is and teach him about how to safely handle it. You don't have to teach him how to shoot it, just how not to kill someone. If the grandparents are guilty of anything it's in not properly instructing their child.

The study I referenced above says that this basically doesn't work statistically, and there seem to be several related studies all stating that children under 15 literally cannot be instructed in gun safety in a manner that would reduce the death rate from their unsupervised access to a gun.

• We have no information as to where the firearm was, how it was "un-secured", and what if any instruction the 14 year old had in regards to it.

We should hold judgement until we have all the facts. It's a tragedy regardless as to how it happened, but we shouldn't condemn folks we don't now based on vague reports and knee jerk reactions.
    Fair enough, although "unsecured" to me means its floating around in an unlocked drawer or cabinet somewhere that a kid can get easy access to. If you're going to own a gun in your own home, you should keep it in a locked gun safe at all times unless you're actually taking it out to use it. The whole "with great power comes great responsibility" thing.

Now, if the gun was locked in a proper gun safe and the kid somehow managed to pick the lock, find the key somewhere he shouldn't have been, guess the combination, etc., that's a different case entirely. It's one thing if you leave the gun in a place easy for the kid to stumble upon and he manages to do so. It's another thing if you take proper precautions and the kid goes out of his way to get around those precautions.
  • Now, if the gun was locked in a proper gun safe and the kid somehow managed to pick the lock, find the key somewhere he shouldn't have been, guess the combination, etc., that's a different case entirely.
    That's why all the studies I found when I actually started looking for statistics are so fascinating. They basically say that owning a gun, no matter now well secured, statistically increases the real danger of a child in your home dying by said gun, moreso than the risk of death by lack of a gun is increased by not having one.

The biggest indicators of a high probability of death by gun (accident or intentional) seem to be things like:

- Being a black male (stupid socio-economic legacy from our horrible history)
    - Being a child in a home where a handgun is present
    - Being involved in a gang or the drug trade
    - Being a hunter

• edited July 2012

"the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)* has reviewed the current medical research on the subject and concluded that if you have children, it is safer not to have a gun in your home"
    I'm sure it's statistically safer not to have a knife in the home. Or Insecticide, or any number of dangerous items. It's not big news that your more likely to have an accident involving a firearm if you actually own one than if you don't.

A firearm is like anything else. Proper instruction for the children is essential, no matter how many gun-locks you have, and you should keep your guns locked up if you have young kids. There are ways to keep a gun out of reach of young children and still accessible for emergencies.If the kid is old enough to find his way around said measures then he's old enough to be taught.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • Sounds like this study would have us ban people from being black as it is a leading cause of gun death.
  • At an intuitive level, I'm not surprised by those statistics, Rym. If nothing else, having anything dangerous in your house increases the chance of a child being injured or killed by said dangerous object. FWIW, it's because of the concerns over gun danger, especially if/when we have kids, that my spousal overunit won't let me purchase a gun (not that I'm in a huge rush to buy one -- if I wanted to go target shooting, I'd either go with my gun-owning uncle or use a loaner/renter at the range).

Of course, if you absolutely must have a gun in your house, whether due to optional possesion (self-defense, hobbies, etc.) or mandatory possession (law enforcement, hunting for sustenance, etc.), you need to make sure it's properly secured in a proper gun safe at all times.
  • Sounds like this study would have us ban people from being black as it is a leading cause of gun death.
    Why don't we just ban poverty and mental illness? Problem solved! ;^)