This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Is there a better term than "Geek"?

edited April 2006 in GeekNights
Okay, I've heard Rym and Scott talk about how "geek" is somewhat less derogatory than "nerd", but one glance at the American Heritage dictionary:

NOUN: Slang 1a. A person regarded as foolish, inept, or clumsy. b. A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept. 2. A carnival performer whose show consists of bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken.
ETYMOLOGY: Perhaps alteration of dialectal geck, fool, from Low German gek, from Middle Low German.

and I don't think the rest of the normal world think geek is a dignified term. Can't we invent or use some other term - you know, like the way audio geeks call themselves audiophiles. How about techno-visual-philes? Any suggestions or thoughts?

Comments

• RymRym
    edited April 2006
    Geek was co-opted a long time ago: reclaimed. I would liken it to how the word "nigger" has been adopted into popular black street culture as a non-derogatory term.

I would say that "geek" is the commonly used word for us now, and there's really no easy way to change that. Geeks self-identify as geeks. In fact, the term carries no derogatory connotations whatsoever within the younger generations' culture.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Perhaps it could simply be replaced by:

Awesomes?
  • Don't forget the geek chart meme:

http://www.brunching.com/geekhierarchy.html
  • I thought geek was just an alias for "future millionare"
  • Maybe...intelligent person? Oh wait. I know some pretty stupid geeks. Like, geeks on drugs.
  • What is this? No geek pride, digital monkey? BAH!
  • I heard you explain this before, in Europe your described "Geek" would be a nerdish person or have "nerdish quailities" while a Geek would be a hermit with no social skills and is sexually attracted to Spiderman (amazing)

So i still go :O everytime i here it on the podcasts :)
  • edited May 2006
    "Nigger" seems to be only acceptable if you are a fellow black man, and only in certain cultural contexts. I dare you to call some guy on the street, "Nigger".

In the same vein, "geek" is probably acceptable amongst geeks. However, if someone on the street calls you a geek, it might be more offensive.
    Post edited by digitalmonkey on